Basing: New Options

Skullcrafts

• 2 weeks later...
Any chance of you selling the packs separately in the future? Or maybe a pack with just natural colors?

Currently, leaf scatter is way out of season. The limited supply I have will go quickly (and has been since I put it back on the site). Unfortunately, the "single" packs will not arrive until next spring/summer when I can harvest them in larger quantities. Until then, it's cheaper for me (and for my customers) to buy the packs as is. To directly answer your question, yes. I will be offering individual colors as well as blends (including natural colors) next year. I have a dozen or so multi-packs left and then they're gone. If, by chance, I come across more leaf scatter, I will certainly make every attempt at making the individuals available sooner.

:)

• 4 weeks later...

A few questions...

Plastic Leaf Scatter

Would anyone be interested in using plastic (or resin) "cast" leaf scatter? The one major advantage to these is that they would ALWAYS be available through the store and not be "out of season". The one major drawback is that they would only have one useable side, the underside would be flat. Some other great advantages would be that they would come black in color, so you could paint them any color you wanted and then simply glue them down wherever. Another great advantage is that I could probably make them much more scale to 25mm-35mm uses as well as make varying types of shapes of leaves (IE, maple, oak, ivy, birch, etc.). This option would probably take me months to complete, but if it's something of interest to others I could definitely get to work on it.

Basing Item Decorations

Items???...yes, items. Like pumpkins, apples, oranges, flowers, beakers, vials, bottles, crates, cans, cups, skulls (psh...yes skulls!), tree stumps, vines, etc. These would also be cast in resin but I'm not sure if I want to pre-paint them or just offer them as paintable objects cast in black or whatever color. Would anyone be interested in these types of things?

Basing Inserts

What's a base insert? it's an exact dimension insert for the standard round bases. The insert is basically glued or placed inside the "display" (perfectly round to fit) area of the base and can then be painted and/or decorated accordingly. There would be several options like metal plates, paved road, cobblestone, flagstone, fieldstone, wooden planks, rocky terrain, etc. They would all have flat spots to place miniatures on and would all come unpainted/undecorated. You would have 30mm, 40mm, and 50mm inserts to choose from. Of course I would need massive input as to what types of things you'd like to see as inserts, but I'm thinking if the inserts help inspire hobbyists to complete a nice looking base...the efforts are worth it. I mean really, if half the base is aleady done, wouldn't it be easier to tackle rather than starting from scratch? What do you guys think?

I would be interested in all of the above. I'm always lookin for leaves that look.....leafy. Even the natural leaf scatter isn't quite right somethimes. The inserts souns wonderfull espesially if they come in different sizes. And I would love the objects too but unpainted. I

d just repaint anything I got anyway.

Leaves a little more in-scale and sturdier might be cool.

I'd love to see any, all and more of the things you describe in basing item decorations! I find those little things can really help set a scene or bring something to life, but if you struggle with sculpting it can be a pain to find/make a dish or a plant or what-have-you that's the right scale. Wanting to add those kinds of things is the main reason I've tried to learn sculpting at all. I'd want to buy these unpainted if possible.

As far as skulls go, I've seen several threads over the years of people looking for skulls, and usually the people starting the threads want a whole lot of them for really cheap for mass army projects and such. For a smaller-scale basing type kit I'd probably recommend a general 'bones' approach and include some femurs, jawbones and other bones. I heard someone comment quite rightly (might have been on here even) wondering how come it's always skulls on bases, shouldn't other bones be showing up too.

I think the base inserts idea is cool, but I'll admit that I've not yet bought a pre-cast base of any description, so I'm probably not the target audience on this.

I also would see bone other then skulls. I know fortress figures made skull packs that included a femur on the sprue, one is not enough!! Jawbone is another great idea.

As long as the leaf litter came in natural colors and I didn't have to buy colors I wouldn't use, I would like to see it more to scale and shaped natural. Call me an old coot, but I dont view it a better deal if i'm forced to buy something I dont want or need, to get what I do.

Any chance of you selling the packs separately in the future? Or maybe a pack with just natural colors?

Just received the leaves yesterday. Don't be fooled by the color names, or even the pictures. These are fantastic and not overly garish (the only colors I've never seen in nature are the black and darker blue ones). I'm loving the Dusky Rose.

all that you mentioned are cool and much lacking on the market really....Has anyone tried the paper leaves by Plusmodels??? I recently got some of these and I'm very impressed wih how they look and take paint......ink/paint mixes give a nice natural slighty waxy look when applied to hem without priming..Fiddly but nice effect.

I like the idea of basing inserts!

As do I. Ive been toying with it for months now.

I would be interested in all of the above. I'm always lookin for leaves that look.....leafy. Even the natural leaf scatter isn't quite right somethimes. The inserts souns wonderfull espesially if they come in different sizes. And I would love the objects too but unpainted. I

d just repaint anything I got anyway.

Of course I probably wouldn't have time to offer as many items "painted" versus "unpainted" so I think leaving them as bare resin/plastic would be what I'd do. As for the leaves...I'm no quite sure if there's a high enough calling for them yet.

Leaves a little more in-scale and sturdier might be cool.

I'd love to see any, all and more of the things you describe in basing item decorations! I find those little things can really help set a scene or bring something to life, but if you struggle with sculpting it can be a pain to find/make a dish or a plant or what-have-you that's the right scale. Wanting to add those kinds of things is the main reason I've tried to learn sculpting at all. I'd want to buy these unpainted if possible.

As far as skulls go, I've seen several threads over the years of people looking for skulls, and usually the people starting the threads want a whole lot of them for really cheap for mass army projects and such. For a smaller-scale basing type kit I'd probably recommend a general 'bones' approach and include some femurs, jawbones and other bones. I heard someone comment quite rightly (might have been on here even) wondering how come it's always skulls on bases, shouldn't other bones be showing up too.

I think the base inserts idea is cool, but I'll admit that I've not yet bought a pre-cast base of any description, so I'm probably not the target audience on this.

My target audience is anyone I can help. If that happens to be you, great! if not, at least I have a chance at inspiring you. I'm really thinking about producing a large line of skulls and bones...it's going to take a while to do though. At any rate, you've made some very good points here.

I also would see bone other then skulls. I know fortress figures made skull packs that included a femur on the sprue, one is not enough!! Jawbone is another great idea.

As long as the leaf litter came in natural colors and I didn't have to buy colors I wouldn't use, I would like to see it more to scale and shaped natural. Call me an old coot, but I dont view it a better deal if i'm forced to buy something I dont want or need, to get what I do.

I agree completely. Unfortunately because of the limited resources of the leaf scatter, it's more cost effective for me and the customer to offerthem in multi-packs rather than in singles...at least for now. Soon I hope to expand the leaf scatter to singles and mixes...soon.

I've toyed with the idea of producing inserts for some time now. Please beat me to it. ;)

I'll see what I can do.

basing bits would be of massive interest!!! Reaper do a few bits but the options are limitless for every category of mini!

Do I have to beg?

No, you don't have to beg. I'm working on a whole slew of things at the moment. Soon there will be new stuff popping up in the store.

Just received the leaves yesterday. Don't be fooled by the color names, or even the pictures. These are fantastic and not overly garish (the only colors I've never seen in nature are the black and darker blue ones). I'm loving the Dusky Rose.

I'm so glad you liked the leaf scatter. For clarifications, I threw in some "fantasy" colors in these packs for those that were interested in that sort of thing. Who knows about black leaves? maybe someone wanted to make an undead tree with black souled leaves dangling??? I just wanted to cover as many bases as I could...heh, no pun intended.

• 1 month later...
Your front page links where you click on the pictures arent working though once you go into the online store it seems to be fine. Oh and your autumn basing kit is showing the picture for the summer kit, though the littler pictures underneath are correct.

Odd, the links work fine for me and a few others. I'll double check it to make sure. As for the mistake for the Autumn picture, thank you very much! I'll fix it promptly.

Your front page links where you click on the pictures arent working though once you go into the online store it seems to be fine. Oh and your autumn basing kit is showing the picture for the summer kit, though the littler pictures underneath are correct.

I have to second what Skya said about the links. For example, if I click on the Autumn Basing Kit link, it takes me to "http://www.skullcrafts.comautumn_basing_kit.htm/" which is incorrect because of both the backslash and the trailing forward slash.

I hope that helps you track-down the problem.

FireFox apparently has issues with certain html commands in the latest version 2.0.0.11 where Netscape and IE do not. I'm looking for a fix, but I'm afraid it may be an issue that can't be corrected.

I might have to look into getting some of your stuff. I looks through my basing stuff and realized I only have brown gravel and static grass and some field grass. I have no flock! Hmm, hopefully my crap on eBay sells soon!

:D

Well I wish you the best of luck, please do come and visit my store when you can.

• 3 months later...

You've got quite a nice selection of scenicing stuff, & quite reasonable. I'd really like to see plastic or resin leaves. I'd LOVE to see items for enhancing bases/terrain pieces ESPECIALLY SKULLS.

The base inserts would be nice, but I generally make my own as part of the "artistic expression" thingy. However, the inserts are a great source of inspiration, & I'm of the age that anything that motivates me is praise worthy. Did I mention I'd really, REALLY LOVE TO HAVE A SOURCE OF SKULLS, REALLY?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering how people get those cool looking leaves on the bases! Well now I know, and now I have to wait for my Autumn kit! Just in time for the season... I noticed Oregon beach sand will be included! Seems like I have enough of that in my car/wallet/pockets already. May I reccomend sand from Arcadia beach, tends to have high immunity to stress while resisting all worries ;) Thanks for the great stuff!