Yet Another Base Question From Tallghost

tallghost

O.K. before I start in on the awesome Wyrd minis I bought at Gencon, I want to try out some of the stuff I've picked up on some zombies.

My vision for this is to have them standing on asphalt. Like cracked and slightly overgrown sectiond of road.

Does anyone have any tips for doing street? Looking around, I've seen alot of cobblestone, and alot of brick or tile, but very little roadwork.

Becuse I want to make it look cracked or overgrown, I'm thinking I'll have to use one of the recessed slotta circle bases, the ones that are all the rage with the kids these days, and some green stuff or putty of some sort. But other than that, I'm kind of at a loss. I'm not above experementing and seeing what I can come up with, but if anyone has tips, then I'll gladly take a shove in the right direction.

I did something similar once. What I did was to first cut out a circular disc of plasticard that fitted nicely into one of those Warmachine-type bases you mentioned. I then mixed some putty and spread a thin layer over the plasticard disc and cut along the edge of the disc to remove excess putty. I then pressed the circular putty disc against a rather rough (80 or 100 grit) sandpaper to get the surface I wanted. After leaving the putty to cure a while, I cut cracks into the surface with a knife (when the putty was about half cured). When it's fully cured, glue it into the base recess. There you go! After having painted it (easy to drybrush due to the surface texture) you can glue some static grass into the cracks. You can also put some gravel here and there surrounding the cracks.

Thanks for the link, gi6ers. I've actually been looking around for these kinds of bases since I'm wanting to try expanding my limited knowledge of bases and basing.

@Ritual: would just using sandpaper work instead of pressing it into green stuff? I'm not sure how it would look, but I would think that you could get the same effect without all of the extra steps.

@Ritual: would just using sandpaper work instead of pressing it into green stuff? I'm not sure how it would look, but I would think that you could get the same effect without all of the extra steps.

I guess so, but if you want to make the ground cracked and broken it will be easier to make it look good if you use putty.

this is why I love these forums!!

Ask a little question and ideas and links and tips start flying!

Thanks for the help, folks! I've got quite a few modern zombies, so I can try out different suggestions on each one, and show the results as soon as my camera gets out of the shop.

I'm also excited for these guys because I bought my first few bottles of what I call my "big boy paints". Some different set of Reaper flesh tones. (up until now I've been using apple barrell and the like) so I'm hoping to se improvement, and I want the bases to look good too.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I have a stoopid question.... and I'm leary to ask it, but Nath is way too busy and I want to proove I can do it myself. I need to base Perdita. I saw Eric basing in my periferal vision at Gen Con. But when I tried to uber glue her in the slot, there was alot of extra space. I'm sure this is hobby 101, but I must admit that sometimes I wear the coned shaped hat. Do I fill the space or just add that much uber glue? Or do I use some other form of adhesive like epoxy? Help! Somebody please.... bring a sister up to speed. Oh and don't tell Nath I didn't already know this. You know I like him to think I know everything. Tee hee.

The quickest and fastest way Mrs Caroland is to apply glue on the sides of the bar and under the feet. At least one side of the bar should touch the slot. Once the glue is dry, you can apply Elmer's glue on the base and dip it in a small box filled with sand.

A more advanced technic would be to cut the bar between the feet, drill the feet, and pin the mini to the base.

On the point of asphalt----

Sheetrock compound/joint compound

Basically, take your glob of compound, put it on the base---smooth out the top a bit to indicate the pave surface---let it form "a crust" on the outside. The center will still be soft.

Anyway, at this point, take a flat surface (like a piece of plasticard)....press several odd angled flat surfaces into it---as desired.

The putty crust will crack between the adjacent areas---and the crust will be flat on the areas you pushed on.

It's the fastest, most efficient way---albeit a bit messy.

On the question of slots....

The air gap left in the slotta base is usually filled----you can use green stuff, plasticene, plasticard, paper, glue, etc...

Usually what I do---fill the slot beforehand...pin the minis feet...drill holes through the base to match the pins. Insert the pinned miniature and glue it to the base...the simplified version, of course.

And it should probably be noted....

I live in Cartersville----so, if you ever want a demo, I don't mind visiting (or mind you guys visiting us)......I can even bring Marie along.

Cheers,

Kev.

Heh, this woman has been at me for painting for a bit now and I've just not had the time. Looks like I'll have to make it this weekend as she has been chomping at the bit to have a go at Perdita.

How goes Kev?! We'll have to get together here soon with you and Marie and baby girl and have dinner and a jaw flappin' session soon.