Brush Licking Rant

Skya

Really understandable "rant" Skya. I had this argument with my girlfriend too who was concerned about my brush licking (I have been doing it for 5-6 years I think). Although all the paint pots say "non toxic" I sent an e-mail to Privateer Press in order to settle this argument once and for all (she has mailed Vallejo, but they never replied).

Vallejo paints contain cadmium at the least. Even the ones labeled "nontoxic" (the newer bottles arent labeled that any more.) A friend ran em through a chemical analyzer just to test em and yup, there it was. Model color reds and yellows and the game color yellows, at the least have cadmium in em. I have no idea what's in the rest of the line, but unless you want heavy metal poisoning I wouldnt put em in your mouth.

but perhaps the constant exposure to toxic materials enhances your creativity ? :)

when I painted (long time ago, I dont even have paint in any form at the moment >_< )

I used to brush *lick* (tough only the lips so its more like brush kissing.) after having rinced a brush to retain a sharp point.

while your rant is probably right (the sentence sounds strange like that.) Im more concerned with other toxics we/I am exposed to.

or all the new materials put into our make up (come on guys, conditioner, shampoo etc. its all makeup too so stop laughing :P) and food, without being thoroughly tested.

any of these toxics might eventually kill you, but, its hard to really look after your health if everything you depend on doesnt.

(small offtopic thing, my teeth are in bad shape... because on school, the dentists and at home they always said *after candy brush your teeth* so as a child even tough I dont like candy very much, if I ate anything sweet, I immediately brushed my teeth, I kept doing that up until 21 years of age, when I suddenly found out my teeth were going backwards, and what does the dentists say ? "when you brush your teeth immediately after sweet or sour products, you actually make things worse." what Im trying to say, even if you are watching your health obsessively its always something else that *kills* you, figuratively speaking.)

as always, when you've read up to here, I must admit that my post is probably useless to anyone and wont enhance anything in your experience called "life"

I just want to get in the arcade damnit :D

also,

"nontoxic" never meant that something is healthy right ? (or am I mixing up words/meanings.) it just means it has no chemical additives ?

from a games perspective toxic is close to substances that kill.

but irl, its not just the toxic materials that are harmfull, organic materials can be equally harmfull, in some cases more so ? (as in, poison isnt always toxic.)

I could be entirely wrong tough.

Vallejo paints contain cadmium at the least. Even the ones labeled "nontoxic" (the newer bottles arent labeled that any more.) A friend ran em through a chemical analyzer just to test em and yup, there it was. Model color reds and yellows and the game color yellows, at the least have cadmium in em. I have no idea what's in the rest of the line, but unless you want heavy metal poisoning I wouldnt put em in your mouth.

So these are bad to even put on your skin, right? Just getting concerned about off-loading paint on my thumb now...

I did mention that to Marike, since I also use my thumb like that. She said that doing that could be bad since the Vallejo paints contain cadmium. I said that I used Reaper paints and P3's; she said that those paints were fine.

However, it's had to say exactly what's in the paints. Maybe I should think about doing something else. Perhaps a paper towel wrapped around my thumb or something.

So these are bad to even put on your skin, right? Just getting concerned about off-loading paint on my thumb now...

I think Anne told me Cadmium can absorb through your skin, although it might have been one of the other things they found in the paint. She told me there were small amounts of mercury in some of them! bleh.

/ali

I think Anne told me Cadmium can absorb through your skin, although it might have been one of the other things they found in the paint. She told me there were small amounts of mercury in some of them! bleh.

/ali

Mercury!? Is this specifically Vallejo, or all brands?

Mercury!? Is this specifically Vallejo, or all brands?

It was specific to the Vallejo Model Color reds that I tested (Red, Black Red and Carmine Red). The mercury was not found in the VMC yellows or the VGC red and yellow that I tested. For good measure, add barium and strontium to the fun things in VMC.

(no heavy metals were found in the RMS reds I tested)

I have not tested Citadel, Rackham or P3 paints, since I don't own any. I didn't test Adicolor either since it is a terrible paint and no one would want to paint with it, much less ingest it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just as guilty as the next person, but I've been slowly breaking the habit--opting for alternatives to get the good point on my brush. And probably for the same reason Skya is passionate about it.

Regardless, I think it's important to understand, the CPSC is not the FDA......

Their concern is whether the product would cause a need for immediate medical attention---or ultimately a need for a coroner. They answer the question "Is it toxic?" They don't answer the question "Is it safe to eat?"

The FDA's goal, in the US at least, is to answer that question...8)

Point is..."non-toxic" and "safe to eat" are two completely different things....and governed by two different agencies.

Cheers.

K.

I blame art class. The art teacher himself taught us that to get a good point use saliva. So i blame it on him.

But that's after it's been cleaned, right? As I've so often said, I can certainly understand people using their lips or whatever to get a good point on the brush after it's been cleaned. Licking a brush while it's still full of paint just mystifies me and that's just my opinion on it. Some people swear by it; others swear off of it completely.