P3 Paint Triads?

Thryth

Hello Everyone!,

I've been searching around, and it seems like the P3 paints have triads, but I can't seem to find-out what they are. Looking at the names of the colors in the packs, it doesn't seem to be the case to me.

Are there triads? If so, does anyone have a link to somewhere that shows what they are?

- Thanks!

They don't really have triads, but base and highlight colours. E.g Menoth white base and Menoth white highlight.

But you can't just use two layers and get a smooth effect, they are two far appart in colour, but this is meant to encourage mixing and create different shades.

Mixing paint is fun, and I always found that triad systems or similar make you use the same colours over and over. Mixing paint yourself makes you do different things for different minis which is a good thing. Especially if you paint for fun and do mostly one-off display pieces. No fun if every mini has identical leather, for instance.

• 2 months later...

I actually agree with Anders here, for years I used only GW paints and rarely mixed colors...and well, all my palates looked really similar and I started getting bored with painting, but once I branched out, am using P3 and GW and mixing it all together, the color options become a lot more fun. I agree that if you rely on triads, then you're always shading and highlighting with the same colors, which gets a bit dull...branch out! live on the wild side and just improvise :D

• 1 month later...

Agreement chimed in with the above..mixing and adding colours is another great part of the hobby. Now, if you are like 80 percent of the painters, and painting for speed and finishing an army, though, simply straight from the pot is the way to go. But..if its for competition, you really almost have to, to smooth the blends out (to go along with the thin paints)

I almost never plan any of my colour schemes, which could be bad. I paint on impulse. Whatever colour comes to my mind I just slap it on. Which is why I painted 3 versions of Bregan posted in another thread before I settled for the 3rd.

However I often mix my paints even though I am using Vallejo, which has a wider spectrum of colours compared to some others.