Heros

EricJ

I don't like that new boy with Claire, he just doesn't seem to act very well, whatever direction they take the storyline. And the school is a bit too "bring it on" for me. We'll see though, I'm sure something will happen there, she is the eternal victim on the show.

I was glad we didn't see any of the Ali Larter plot line, while cute, that whole story was a serious drag on season one, and probably took up more time than any of them.

I agree about nathan, that confused me, he clearly won in season 1, but yet 4 months later he's a drunk? And what was the issue with looking in the mirror and seeing half his face burnt...oh well, there must be more there.

Of course Sylar isn't dead, we even saw him in the preview for next weeks episode, sorry about that, but when they showed him gone at the end of season 1, it was pretty much certain he'd be back.

I agree about Hiro, he's tv magic!

I also have a feeling that Takei isn't completely gone, that death was just too...un-hero-like

We have a few hints at what might cause destruction and who are bad guys in this season, Sylar of course, someone who can see Molly, and then the Woman who seems to just loose control and kill everyone around her.

Ultimately it wasn't a special episode, but it built up so far in season 1 they pretty much have to start from the foundation again in season 2, and if you compare it to the first episode in season 1, they're on par.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about nathan, that confused me, he clearly won in season 1, but yet 4 months later he's a drunk? And what was the issue with looking in the mirror and seeing half his face burnt...oh well, there must be more there.

I'm pretty sure he was seeing Peter's face all radiation burned - hallucinating his internal demons; his guilt about letting Peter die.

Of course Sylar isn't dead, we even saw him in the preview for next weeks episode, sorry about that, but when they showed him gone at the end of season 1, it was pretty much certain he'd be back.

Yes, but Parkman says to Molly that he's dead and she accepts that as true. Parkman is a cop. Honestly, it's 4 months later. You'd think by then he would have noticed Sylar's body wasn't there and would have asked Molly where the boogy man is.

I Tivo paused it, and it REALLY looked like nathan all burnt up. Oh well, I'm sure we'll figure out more. I did like the peter story, somehow getting chained up in a transport container...and one that people wanted for some other reason too...odd...

yeah, a bit odd, but Parkman was shot and probably in the hospital for months, but seems like he might have checked that little fact that there was no body and a blood smear going to a manhole cover...

Heroes origins sounds fun!

As for origins, looks like a good plan. Apparently its not a new series, but rather fill in episodes to fill those gaps in the season, so there aren't breaks like season 1 (which apparently really killed ratings for it). So they'll have a totally different cast and production team putting them together, so the main show can still get their breaks, but this will just fill in the time slot with new episodes in the same universe. In total between the 2 the run is supposed to be 30 episodes.

I think it's a pretty good idea, gives us back story, no lull in the season, etc...

• 2 weeks later...
have you guys heard about the show....heroes origins.......it chroncicles the beginnings of linderman, takamura and petrelli's.

it starts in january.

woot ...woot.....more for us.!!!!!

Origins is being created to serve as a fill in for the gap that's going to happen in the middle of the season, like they did last year, but by making origins it helps to keep viewer attention so as not to end up with a drop of viewership in between.

that being said, Origins is supposed to be 6-8 episodes running from january to march. while heroes goes on a half season hiatus.

Hm, so far Heroes seems to have turned into an almost unbearable and very basic and cliched cheese fest. Hasn't really done anything to convince me it's going to pick up after season ones finale left me feeling so 'meh' about it. A few parts of episode three were OK, but then there were the parts that were just horrifically bad to make up for it! Only a few months to the new series of The Wire at least. Now that's TV goodness you know isn't going to disappoint!

Hey all,

Haven't posted here at Wyrd for a while but the existence of this thread made me come back! I just finished up the first season on Netflix--it is in the view-it-now section so you don't even have to wait for the USPS. Not having to deal with commercials or the network's funky scheduling made it even nicer.

What I think I like best about the show is that although there is very little that is actually new--we have seen all of the super powers in previous movies or comic books. The story arcs were nothing new, and even I, who has read like one comic book in my life, know that the whole mutant thing and prejudice against mutants was done in X-men. Still, the writers were able to keep it fresh. There were lots of surprises throughout the season, even though it's actually pretty hard to surprise an audience nowadays. We have become so jaded with everything we have seen that a nice surprise or reveal really makes me happy and makes me want to watch more. I also really liked that they would reveal some answers once in a while. The thing that made me come to hate Lost and eventually even dislike the Sopranos was all the loose ends that were left. Sure, in real life we have to deal with loose ends, that is reality, but this is a TV show about superheroes! It does not have to be realistic, dadgumit! I appreciate a little satisfaction in my TV. ;-)

So, yeah, Hiro was the fav character in our house, and not only because my wife is Japanese. By the way, if you guys are curious, my wife said that Hiro's accent was excellent, but it was funny because he talked in a very girlish way in the words and expressions he used. I thought that was cool because I'd read that the producers of the show give him the script in English and he translates everything himself. He really owned that character in both languages, which is something that is obviously hard to do. We also saw a nice indication of his range when he played the "Future Hiro." I think his award nominations were very deserved.

Second by the way, my wife said that Ando's accent was off, but not as bad as Takei's. ;-) Turns out that Ando is actually Korean born, as you can see on his imdb site. I think Takei did a great job from the perspective of an American, but his accent made my wife wince. :-) And what son does not dream that his seemingly ordinary drudger salaryman father is actually a superhero who is just waiting for the right moment to train you to save the world! That little story arc really touched me as a grown-up son.

So yeah, we loved the first season and can't wait for the second. The first few episodes don't have nearly the tension that the later episodes from season 1 had, but I'm expecting that will ramp up in the future.

Accents:

Well, that all makes sense.

Masi Oka is Japanese. English is his second language.

James Kyson Lee, as you say, is Korean. Japanese is his second language, but at least his first language is an Asian language.

George Takei is and American, born and raised in Los Angeles, bilingually speaking English and Spanish. He did not learn Japanese until he was a teen ager.

Accents:

Well, that all makes sense.

Masi Oka is Japanese. English is his second language.

James Kyson Lee, as you say, is Korean. Japanese is his second language, but at least his first language is an Asian language.

George Takei is and American, born and raised in Los Angeles, bilingually speaking English and Spanish. He did not learn Japanese until he was a teen ager.

Yep.

The accent thing is fairly important to my wife. She is really annoyed when there is a "Japanese" character in a movie or TV show that only speaks marginal Japanese. For her it's similar to an anachronism like a wrist watch in a movie set in medieval Europe. There are tons of great Japanese speaking actors, why not use them? Because most English speakers won't notice, of course. She really appreciates it when the actor who is playing a Japanese part really speaks the language well. It's almost like the producers went the extra mile to make sure the language side of the show is authentic. I'm sure it's one of the reasons she likes the show so much.

I have to say I really like all the languages that appear in the show. I love the Spanish with "Maya and Miguel," and I was pleasantly surprised to hear Mrs. Petrelli speak French to the Haitian guy. Even though she had a horrendous accent maybe it was in character. She's not playing a French person, after all. :hahaha:

As you can tell, I'm a language person. :bounce:

Yeah, I too like the fact that people aren't all for some reason speaking English with American accents. The scenes in India last season were all in some Indian language; in Mexico, it's Spanish, in Japan, Japanese. I'm one of those who doesn't mind subtitles. I'd rather watch a martial arts film with subtitles than dubbed because even if I don't understand the language, the inflection much better matches the action.

So what did your wife think of the scenes in 17th century Japan? I'm suspicious that they are all talking modern Japanese and I assume the language changed.

I mean, put a modern American in Jamestown in 1610, and he'd actually have a really hard time understanding anyone.

Yeah, I'm still hanging in there. It will likely improve. Non-premier seasons always start slow because they want to introduce some mystery.

The latest was definitely better than the previous one.

As to replaying, the local station replays them on the weekend, but you'll have to check your local listing or the NBC website to find out if you can see them where you are.

Or, just view on the web. While there, also read the comic book.