GenCon Indy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, this thing has been a ton if fun so far, I'm sad I'm missing the last day of it. I'm taking a ton more photos and I'll make nathan write something up proper for the wyrd experience at gencon. You might not think it, but he really is quite a pushover in person ;)

As far as minis go, I haven't found anything I haven't seen already on the internet, but did finally get a manorhouse mini I've wanted, but not enough to order. Two miniatures I painted are on the Dark Sword Miniatures Elmore #8 box, which makes it pretty awesome in MY opinion, anyway.. :)

The painting contest was pretty fierce. EricJ, did you not enter, or did you go for the privateer press contest?? I haven't seen the results of that yet.

The internet signal in my hotel sucks. :)

/ali

reaction has been pretty damn good overall I've seen. A ton of people who seem to be just seeing wyrd for the first time at the booth and picking up quite a few minis, which seems promising. We've also been directing a ton of people to the forums, hopwfully some will show up here!

Everyone seems damn impressed by the painted mini display, just to pat ourselves on the back (Anders). I'm bias of course but our little display ranks up pretty high.

Anyway, judging by the fact Nathan is planning next year already, I'd have to guess he's pretty happy about it all, and sales are adding up well. So it seems there is hope for wyrd afterall!

Anyway, that's the current report from gencon!

Whew, I'm back. Packed up last night and got it packed with the help of Dan and Andy and made the 8.5 hour trip back with a slight detour to my mothers place in Kentucky and managed to make it into the house just before 4am this morning. Of course, the dog woke me up promptly at 9am to go out and I couldn't sleep. Grr.

The convention was a real eye opener is more than one way and I have to say that we came away from it with a lot of ideas, what works and what doesn't and I'm really looking forward to next year, as well as Origins as I've got some thoughts on what I would like to do at those places and how I would change some things up.

Show was profitable, quite a bit of sales, retailers and distributors showing a lot of interest as well as a load of folks who were introduced to us there for the first time. Met quite a few interesting folks and it was a real pleasure to meet so many of you in person, always lots of fun to put a face with a persona or name. We had a lot of fun with Kevin (Rodnik) and his wife this weekend as they treated us to a fantastic round of laughs every night over dinner and if all things work out, I'll be hunting those two to help with the booth next year if all goes well.

Overall, very pleased. Eric has a bunch of pictures which he'll share when he gets back from Vegas and in the mean time, if you've got anything to share over GenCon, pictures or thoughts, feel free to post them up!

Oh, and a very large welcome to all the new folks signing up on Wyrd, it was a blast and you are most welcome here.

I'm finally home now also (had a 3 day detour to Vegas ;) )

I haven't had a chance to look at the photos, I'll try to start uploading them this evening if I find time, I KNOW we have a few gems in there, can't wait to get a better look at them.

The show was great, a ton of fun. Meeting everyone was probably the highlight (since I didn't have to keep an eye on the money thing as much as nathan), although I hate to admit it, but it got to a point that it was a little bit of a blur for me, I really really hope I didn't accidentaly snub someone... :(

Kev and his wife were great, we had a ton of fun talking paint and more. I hope I was able to make a little sense.

The show was huge and fun, definately going to have to go back next year, Nathan and I even had thoughts to set up a painting table in the booth and do painting lessons there on wyrd minis, which would be good fun and hopefully keep the booth looking nice and busy! A ton of other ideas came up while we were there, I hope we can remember half of them. Lots of fun things for where wyrd is going from the sounds of it :)

I hope I was able to make a little sense

Absolutely...suprisingly enough, I've been painting ever since I got home. I hope to have one to show you in the next few days. Not great, mind you, but just working on some of the stuff you and I discussed. I'm already surprised by the difference in the piece---

As far as next year---count me in to help, too----I loved hanging with you guys---I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

Marie's still considering the booth-babe thing.....she's already talkin' about increasing her workout intensity a bit....8)

Hah, yeah, Kev, dinners were a good time, now if only we could remember the funny things...

Glad to hear the paint tips help some, I've never really given lesons or even talked paint much in person, so I didn't know if my ramblings were of much use.

I'll just be happy next year to not have to booth babe again :(

Well...we'll see if the tips helped any. The tips were awsome---now if I can only execute...

I'll force you to admire the mini when I finish it---which should be very soon....you can tear it apart, now that you're free "to take the gloves off"..8)

I'll just be happy next year to not have to booth babe again

Yea..I'll be glad of that too...not sure if I'll ever be able to get the picture of you in a chainmail bikini outta my head......now seeing Nathan in a chainmail bikini would be one for the books...

I had a great time at GenCon, and one of the highlights was meeting the gang at the Wyrd/Crunch Waffle booth. Nathan is friendly and funny, Eric is much more approachable than I thought, Kevin is a hoot, and Dan and Andy are great guys too. I was glad to have the opportunity to pick up some great figures I've been eyeing from both sides of the booth, and they all ooh'ed a little over some painted figs I had brought quite convincingly. It was wonderful to see the fine paint jobs on the Wyrd studio minis close up. I hope both sides of the booth made buckets of cash, and look forward to seeing all the exciting ideas put into play for next year. Now if I could just figure out how to put together these imps I got before next year...

It was really great meeting everyone, especially all the people I have been doing business with and talking to for the last year and a half. We made a bunch of new contacts and arranged a few things for on down the road. Looks like the trip knocked Andy out though. I've hardly heard from him for 2 days.

P.S. I would happily contribute a portion of a plane ticket and a chain mail bikini in the event that a certain clog wearing putty-wrangler was to try and make a showing next year.

Hrmmm, might have to work something out for GenCon for you Cindy. I know we've got Marie setup for the coreset and the female Mad Hatter (oooh, is that a miniature idea - yeah, you bet!) and I think we can work out some tantilizing chainmail links. Hrmmm, Janet Jackson comes to mind for some reason ..

(running ...)

Wren and her husband were good sports at the booth as I started a conversation, left off to take care of a customer and then came back to them again. Lots of fun there. As for those Imps Rhonda - heh, yeah, they are a bit of work to put together. I'll shoot you some pictures of the greens to help you out there. Might make a few changes to them to make things easier in the next mold for them as they are a touch of work.

For myself, Monday was a haze, Tuesday was running around and getting frustrated at 50% awake level and I figure today I'm somewhere around 70% recovered. Maybe by Friday I'll be able to think proper.