Introductions and My Work

Skya

Wasn't sure where to put intorductions and all that so here seemed as good a place as any. These days I'm mostly doing private commissions as well as freelance work for Magnificent Egos. I help Paintmion out with the Paint and Take as well as the minis competition at GenCon so if you've bneen there you've probably seen me around

Pretty much everything I've ever done that any good is up on my wesite at http://skya.shadowdragon.net , but I figured since I'm new here I'd go ahead and post a bit of my more recent work. Feel free to express all the comments and critisisms you'd like. I've been a proffessional painter and illustrator for many years now. If I couldnt take it I wouldnt be in this buisness.

I couldnt resist painting up one of these when I first saw them at GenCon:

CW-Lump.jpg

And then I have this thing for wings and Sandra sculpts them so pretty...

ME-Ariel.jpg

My most recent piece for Mag Egos, I had fun with the base:

ME-Esmerelda.jpg

Welcome to the boards proper Noel.

Like the bottom one the most, that one seems to have a lot of sass to her and the colors are well chose, base looks good (looks like she is crossing a river or some such) but I just can't get over it being square.

Odd isn't it - I have this complete and total aversion to square bases for some reason. I know they are good for roleplaying the like, grid maps, etc (hrmmm, wonder if I still have my old old old chessex table map, been ages since I've thought about that) ...

Not a fan of the second sculpt but like the different colors on the wings.

Welcome to the boards proper Noel.

Like the bottom one the most, that one seems to have a lot of sass to her and the colors are well chose, base looks good (looks like she is crossing a river or some such) but I just can't get over it being square.

Odd isn't it - I have this complete and total aversion to square bases for some reason. I know they are good for roleplaying the like, grid maps, etc (hrmmm, wonder if I still have my old old old chessex table map, been ages since I've thought about that) ...

Not a fan of the second sculpt but like the different colors on the wings.

I tend to prefer the nice round bases myself. They add a more natural feel, but they do tend to get in the way while roleplaying. Always just a little to big for the maps. The base on that third one actually came about from me grabbing a random base, sticking the miniature on it muttering about not wanting to do up yet another green stuffed base. Viola! One river. Two actually her bodyguard Miguel got one as well though it doesn't look quite as good on him.

ME-Miguel.jpg

I like all the fantasty pieces, but that historical is gorgeous, love the texture you worked into the dress. Looks like a 3D version of a period painting.

Amusingly, except for the color scheme it is. It's a Belgian figure put out by Cafe Storme. They gave them away in French coffee tins the way we would do cracker jack prizes. Most of them are pieces done of historical figures often based on paintings. Very similar to another company called Mokarex who put out some very neat plastic fugures based entirely on French history.

isabelportugal_tiziano.jpg

Noel, nice to have you posting here, you have a very obvious talent, well developed style and an intelligent approach to it all. Which is always nice to have around!!

I'm not sure how intelligent feedback I can give right now, on my lack of sleep, being overworked and general lack of painting motivation, but I will be keeping my eye out to see more of your work.

again, welcome :)

-Eric

Very nice painting. I agree you have a very natural style of painting, fitting historicals perfectly too... Though they all look great... BUT....Owwww.... you painted one of my Wagga's :D. The first one I sculpted... Bobs up and down happily.... I might be biassed ;) but I love it (cool to see that one got used as avatar as well at the moment).... Though honestly i think the girl in the green dress is my favorite... though I got this thing for angels as well. Make sure to show more when you have it :)

Just looked at your site and I reconise a few of them from CMON, one of them being one of my favorite versions of anastasia... Love that coloursceme, so much like an princes from india. Linkage

and this one is together with the Marike Reimer one my fav of this fig too (can you tell me which colours you used for the hair? nymph

Very nice painting. I agree you have a very natural style of painting, fitting historicals perfectly too... Though they all look great... BUT....Owwww.... you painted one of my Wagga's :D. The first one I sculpted... Bobs up and down happily.... I might be biassed ;) but I love it (cool to see that one got used as avatar as well at the moment).... Though honestly i think the girl in the green dress is my favorite... though I got this thing for angels as well. Make sure to show more when you have it :)

Just looked at your site and I reconise a few of them from CMON, one of them being one of my favorite versions of anastasia... Love that coloursceme, so much like an princes from india. Linkage

and this one is together with the Marike Reimer one my fav of this fig too (can you tell me which colours you used for the hair? nymph

The wags are Sooo cute, I tried to enter it in the Femme Fatal, but got told it didnt have enough of a gender to it even though I did my best to make it more umm breasty. :) The green gal is my avatar in the historicals forums but the furball seemed so apropriate for here.

The nymph was painted long enoug ago that I couldnt tell you for sure what the hair was done with. I can make a few guesses though. At the time I was pretty exclusivelt using Vallejos. So I'm thinking it was probably English Uniform, Camo Black Brown, Iraqui Sand and Pale Sand. There were probably one or two others in there, but I honestly couldnt tell you which.