This never really happens does it??

supervike

I was working fevershly on the 'Works of the Heart' piece that I was sent. It is a Thunderbolt Miniatures diorama, complete with a sculpted base.

I spend several hours painting on the base. I gave it a spray coat, using a satin varnish, which gave a glossiness to it that I kind of liked. I was happy with the results. Once it dried I decided to give it one more little burst of spray, as I knew this would be mailed out, and I wanted it chip proof.

I grabbed the spray can and let loose....much to my horror, I discovered I grabbed the white spray paint...NOT the varnish. In a panic, I tried to save it using water, and then acetone, but to no avail....Thank god it was only the base, and not the entire piece, but it still burns me!!

I've heard the horror stories of people doing this, but quite honestly never thought people really did this sort of stupidity!

Did you hear Goatman's story about using brush on sealer on his amazing Gold Demon winning ork in the German GD, but thinned it with water he had used for painting his metallics, so he brushed little flakes of metallic onto the guy? I bet that hurt!

best arguement yet for nmm > metallic though :)

I had a completely finished miniature (my Heresy jailer with the tray and club) get caughted in my sleeve, propelled through the room when I moved unsuspectingly and shatter him in as many pieces as the Heresy multipart fig would possibly allow (which would be 4 in this case)... Damaging everything... Well he had about 15 minutes of unspoiled glory. Just enough time to take the pictures.

The most annoying was when a person i knew from sports and knows nothing about miniatures took my painted Mabel fig... Started scratching with her fake nails to see if the paint came off (or whatever was her reaon)... and yes.. it did. What the f#ck did she expect?.. The 2 seconds she had the figure (I did NOT give to her) was more than enough to do conciderable damage to the figure, she thought it would have taken me about 30 minutes to paint (no clue that woman) for she thought it was painted very well. Then when I took it out of her hands rather socially and friendly at that...she just looked insulted and said that the damage (about a 8th of the complete figure now paint free) was hardly noticable (looking at me like I was the crazy one for even responding to her). :AR15firin

I had a completely finished miniature (my Heresy jailer with the tray and club) get caughted in my sleeve, propelled through the room when I moved unsuspectingly and shatter him in as many pieces as the Heresy multipart fig would possibly allow (which would be 4 in this case)... Damaging everything... Well he had about 15 minutes of unspoiled glory. Just enough time to take the pictures.

I think we were talking when this happened, I remember that!

ok, so one time YEARS ago, when I actually played 40k, a friend had just finished painting up a space marine, to what he thought was a good standard, and I picked him up and made like I was pretending to throw him, just to mess with the guy...except it slipped out of my hand and shattered into...well as many pieces as space marines shatter into :( I'm such a jerk sometimes :(

I also had one mini that I finished, and sprayed with white primer, and was WAY pissed at myself, so I repainted her...then did it again!

Oh, it would have been complete murder should someone do that at my place.

My wife has guests over from time to time and eventually everyone meanders over to take a look at my hobby and eventually pick things up. I walked in one day and found a complete stranger holding onto some of my miniatures and I about flipped out. From that day, the wife was very concious of where everyone was and if they even thought about showing interest in my hobby should would explain that even she and the kids didn't touch them without asking and it would be hell to pay if someone went messing with them.

Might sound odd to some folks, but it certainly has kept peace in the house.

I painted Abaddon the Despoiler for a guy I knew a little (he was a friend of one of my best friends). I thought he was an OK guy so I painted it for him. When he got it he turned into a right asshole and started bragging about it to his friends (as if he had painted it himself, all his other minis looked shite). Then he entered it into a local competition (without my knowledge) in his own name and won. When he went to gather his price there were a bunch of kids who asked him all kinds of questions about how he did this and how he did that. He told them that he didn't want to reveal his secrets! :vb_mad2:

One day his cat knocked the thing over so quite a lot of paint got chipped off. At this point he had no choice but to try and fix the paintjob himself (there was no chance I'd do it for him). That Abaddon was never the same again! :approve:

Did I mention I love cats? :D

yeah, anyone enters one of mine in a contest under their name, I might have to break some knees.

Did you at least let the people running the contest know?

I didn't hear about it until the contest was well over. :( Well, I had another chaos SM of his that I had promised to paint, but I cut it in pieces and used various bits of it for conversions.

Well I have never primed a mini that was ready to be varnished, but I have had my shair of ah craps. For me the 'Works of the Heart' piece that I was sent has been a nightmare. When I got it there was several overtly noticable and badly placed mould lines so I took some time to clean them up. Went to re-prime it and my primmer went bad on me. So I had to strip it. This time I used my brush on primer, no problems. I then had about 5 hours of paint time into it and it was looking pretty good, when I dropped it into my paint pallet, tried to save it but could not get all that paint off it. Back into the stripper. I am almost done with it now, but I am so "over" this mini. My luck I will go to varnish it and I will prime it white.

Can't say I've had catastrophic failure like that, but I dropped my CMON Amazon just after I Dullcoated it. Nothing broke, but I learned the bad news about the vinyl Vallejo paint binder. She bent back at the legs and the paint just *shedded* off the pewter like a banana's peel, straight down to bare metal! Good news was I was able to gently prod the paint slivers back into place and glue them back down with some matt medium...

Very weird. Vinyl sticks to anything, but doesn't grip worth anyway...

Take care,

Laszlo

I've learned not to keep a cup or glass on my painting table anymore. My hand will dunk the brush into it like it has a mind of it's own... Ruined many a good soda that way :(

Later,

Laszlo

It's quite strange, really... If I keep a mug of coffee or something on my painting desk I'll automatically reach for it when I need to clean my brush. I've even tried putting the coffee almost out of reach, while keeping the water jar nearby, and I still reach all the way to the coffee to clean the brush... :loco: