Collective Story Writting - Sign Up.

Nathan Caroland

Hey folks,

The idea was floated a little bit back and expanded upon recently upon the idea of having a group of individuals work collectively in writing a short story (or not so short). This would need a minimum of three individuals, though more are obviously welcomed, with a dedication, imagination and a fairly good grasp of the english language.

Once the individuals are determined, and we can add more as people become interested, we would need a schedule that allows for the individual to have time to work on the project, but at the same time, get their part 'finished' within the aloted time. I believe a week per person is sufficent initially, though obviously not everyone need take the full week to finish their portion of the works. For example, lets say that I start the story on the 10th. The next individual in line has until the 17th to finish their portion of the story, but they do it considerably quickly, finishing it on the 13th. The next individual now has until the 20th to finish their portion of the story, etc ...

When writing, continuity must be kept with the general direction of the story, meaning no having mortal enemies in one paragraph, only to have them lovers in the next scene (unless written extremely well - heh). Characters, scenes and scenarios can be introduced by all involved and it is the job of everyone to keep with the 'spirit' of the individual or scenario as closely as possibly though with your outlook and personal twist to it.

To start off the collective story, we will need a general setting, genre and scenario to provide initial direction, and from there it is up to the individuals to flesh out the story and to guide and bring the readers into the story. This needs to be a unanimous decision amongst those involved, with the understanding that those joining later must also keep to the story. New stories of course can be started.

Some of the thoughts I have had I will list below. I'm open to thoughts and suggestion. Please chime in.

Modern Day Magic

. Much like the Maggie Sinclair story I have started in this section, I have found myself increasingly interested in the modern day with a twist of fantasy, sci-fi and magic all rolled into one. Magic is back (or maybe never left), critters, creepies and things best left in the dark are once again free to roam the world, though many never know or understand the dangers around them. Wizards are real, magic is deadly, and of course private groups, corporations and the goverment run their own experiments. Think of Shadowrun, though scaled back a bit.

Dark fantasy
, where sharp swords and quick spells decide whether you live or die. Adventure is to be had and power to be taken for those with the cunning and daring to take it. Perhaps a swashbuckling coastal pirate, a young fledgling wizard learning his way in the world, or a hardened warrior looking for his destiny.

Brutal Horror
. There are dark things in the forgotten places, waiting to come forth and sate their thirsts and hungers on the pain and flesh of mankind. The mental patient who sees too much, who knows too little, and the knowledge she has learned has turned her into a lunitic. Or has it?

The Far Future
. Man thought it had conquered the universe, had learned all that it needed to know, had explored and exploited everything there was. The were wrong, and now, mankinds civilization is nothing but a dead shell of what it once was, with colonies and bands of refugies making the best of their lives as one by one, they are hunted and exterminated by 'them'.

Just some thoughts. Obviously there will need to be a bit more work to flesh out a general direction, and I think the input of those involved is going to be needed in order to make the decisions needed for inclusion in this. Do we put a timeline on this? A length? Writers are allowed to write as much or as little as they want, or no more than XX amount of paragraphs or words?

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested... since it was kinda my suggestion anyway.... Maybe some more peopel will sign up before I get back from my mini-vacation next Thursday (the 22nd).

Another category, I don't know what to name it, is a type a favorite author of mine uses... a combination of sci-fi and fantasy. Maybe call it "Futuristic Fantasy"? I'd explain more about it, but I'm only here while taking a break form packing :D

Well, we have four lined up as of right now. How about we give the rest of this week to allow for folks to sign up from the get-go and while we're at it, see if we can come to some sort of agreement on what type of styr we want to write and the direction to take it.

Speak up. If you see something here that catches your interest (multiples are fine, we're going to have to whittle them down though over the next week or so) or have something else in mind, toss it up. Interested in hearing about it.

At work at the moment, but when I get in tonight I'll read over what we have here and offer up a few suggestions of my own.

I like "other universe" possibilities, like other worlds, but really can deal with vampires, space derelicts, rulers of the universe, a world of fairies or any other genre that is selected. In fact, I wiould find it a challenge if just thrown in the middle of the mix. I don't really think I will enjoy starting or ending it.

By 'other universe' what do you have in mind? Something like Orks running around New London or the like or something like the Wheel of Time and so forth? Whole new 'world' with different rules, laws, etc?

Speak up peeps, lets hear what you are interested in.

As for starting the story - I'll do that if no one else wants to, I'm rather keen to get this started up.

So... five people, is it? ;) I'd not be interested in Sci-Fi too much though. I would prefer a nice horror story, or a tale of swords and sorcery.

How exactly did you plan to do this? Just start, then someone goes on however he wants, or will there be an underlying plot that guides the actions? Will the characters be thought out before the writing begins or may we add them as we need?

also, Celtic Lilly, just join up and write! Surely you'll be better or at least as good as a German student who is easily amused by the word "carrot"?

I have to wonder what 'carrot' does to ammuse you so much?

Five it is so far. :D Thanks for joining in.

Well lets see, since this is all pretty new the guidelines haven't really been set down in stone as of yet so that gives us some leeway. This is how I see it for the moment, but obviously input and suggestions can and likely will change things.

We pick a particular genre in which to start out the story, whether it be fantasy, sci-fi, modern, horror or comedy (not my best, believe me). Can be anything in general but I think a general concensus needs to be reached by everyone involved.

From there, I think the general 'story' needs to be fleshed out. Lets say for instance we are setting it in the modern world but in an alternate universe so that where science was the mainstay of our world, magic and science thrived side by side so now you have world of modern day science and magic. Well how does that interact with each other - are they compatable or do they 'fritz' out each other. Are there creatures, etc in the world? General stuff like that, but nothing too terribly specific so that it allows the writier(s) to explore their setting.

One idividual will start it off (whomever wants to, I am willing to should no one wish to take the first step) and when he or she reaches a point where they think it would be good to pass it off to another individual then they post their section of the story and the next person in line picks up and works with the characters, setting and scenario that has been laid out by the individual before them. From there you take it any direction you want, though keeping it cohesive while doing so.

I think a main character should be created in which to write for/with/through and from there, new characters introduced at the whim and reason of the writer, though keeping in mind that again, cohesiveness should be kept, so those writing for a 'main or support' character need to try and keep the same sort of attitude/reaction/thoughts that this person would have. Might be a good idea to write up a general bio for each character as they are introduced if they are meant to be repeating characters or are integral to the story.

As for length and such, I think it would be nice to leave it so that others can pick it up in an interesting manner. For instance, lets say the Maggie Sinclair story that I wrote earlier was the start of the story that we had all agreed upon. I started the story, and I took it up to the point where the 'Blood Horror' was being called and formed and stopped it right there, passing it on to the next writer. The next individual now finds themselves in a situation where the main character has been described in a fairly decent manner though with enough details left open to build upon, and as well, a situation which they are now thrust upon. The could possibly finish it up like I did with that story, or take it off in another direction, possibly with the death of the police officers, the escape of the criminals ... whatever. That's where the possibilites become interesting with a group project.

Again, this is all just thoughts of mine and nothing is set in stone until we all decide on the guidelines.

As for what I personally would like to write - anything really, but I find myself drawn more towards stuff like the Anita Blake, Dresden Files, Simon Green type of modern 'alternate' writing, something a bit like the Maggie story I started. I also enjoy doing the near future stuff, something along the lines of what Shadowrun is as I really like that sort of setting. Horror is fun as well, as I love vampires and things that tear a person up, and fantasy is always a fun and easy one for me. Sci-fi future stuff is a bit harder for me I'm guessing as I have yet to write anything like that, but I'm game for it.

Thoughts?

Just so we don't get bogged down with everyone trying to be polite to each other over what we'll write (I think we've all established we'll write most anything), lets let the public decide what we're going to write.

Everyone is allowed to vote, including those participating. You can select multiple genres if more than one should catch your attention, but in the end, the one that has the most votes will be the direction that we'll work the story. Fair enough?

I'll leave the poll up until Monday night (more likely Tuesday early AM when I come home from work) and that should give us plenty of time to have a direction chosen for us. If you have another idea, and everyone jumps on board with it (such as the fact that we can make it modern day horror, whatever ..).

Vote!

Voted.

I would have liked to join a lot but desided against it. Why.. lack of time in the months to come and I don't wanna be the one to ruin the flow. There are plenty of writers already so my participation isn't nessesairy to get enough people, soI think so I'm gonna sit this one out. Which does NOT mean I won't possibly be joining this one or a future one later on someday. I really do like the idea.

I hope we don't get too serious with this. We're not trying to write an epic sonnet, I was just hoping for just something fun so nobody feels pressured to have to be a whiz at story writing. I think if the next person only feels comfortable contributing a paragraph, that's fine. A paragraph or a page, whatever they think they can add. Thoughts?

:feedback:

I hope we don't get too serious with this. We're not trying to write an epic sonnet, I was just hoping for just something fun so nobody feels pressured to have to be a whiz at story writing. I think if the next person only feels comfortable contributing a paragraph, that's fine. A paragraph or a page, whatever they think they can add. Thoughts?

:feedback:

I completely agree. If it gets to be too serious, it will become a chore. I might can manage a paragraph or a page or more depending on what I have to do when it is my turn to contribute. It is a good idea to keep the whole thing in prespective: write what you can and hope it will come back to you for a second try. :juggle:

Alrighty, monday has come and it looks like Sword and Sorcery Fantasy has won out as the topic for the collective writing 'venture.

The participants at this moment are Duende, Anatora, Tidoco2222, Mosch, Sakura and myself, leaving us with six writers. Thank you for joining in everyone, I expect this will be a bit of fun.

Now I personally am ready to start up on this and have a go at it, but I wanted to know your thoughts on this and get a few things settled down before we get into this so there are no awkward situations in the midst of this.

Do we want to leave this open ended, or have it start with the first person and end with the last person, essentially having six 'chapters' as there are that many folks participating. If we do it straight through, that will require a good deal more work, if we leave it wide open, people can add to as they want and we can wind it down sometime in the future (near or far, no worries there). Thoughts?

Do we want to have a general plot outline that is worked out by all of us, or do we want to jump into it blindly and follow the lead of the first person to start this up? Both have their pluses and minuses as well. I'm personally up for the second option, as I'm curious to see where things go.

Lastly, what order to we wish to start this up, who wants to follow whom, and who wants to be the person to take the plunge and start the whole 'feeling' of the story by being the first person to lay words to 'paper'? I personally have no preference whatsoever, but am willing to start, or end the story should no one else want to. I'll leave it up to ya'll.

Seeing as there are six of us and we all seem to be on fairly regularly, lets see about having this all thought out on the quick, everyone pile on their thoughts, and we'll get this party on the road as soon as possible.

Do we want to leave this open ended, or have it start with the first person and end with the last person, essentially having six 'chapters' as there are that many folks participating. If we do it straight through, that will require a good deal more work, if we leave it wide open, people can add to as they want and we can wind it down sometime in the future (near or far, no worries there). Thoughts?
I vote for the "wide-open" option.

Do we want to have a general plot outline that is worked out by all of us, or do we want to jump into it blindly and follow the lead of the first person to start this up? Both have their pluses and minuses as well. I'm personally up for the second option, as I'm curious to see where things go.
Second option, too, here!

Lastly, what order to we wish to start this up, who wants to follow whom, and who wants to be the person to take the plunge and start the whole 'feeling' of the story by being the first person to lay words to 'paper'? I personally have no preference whatsoever, but am willing to start, or end the story should no one else want to. I'll leave it up to ya'll.
I just don't want to go first! I'll throw a suggestion of writing it in 1st person style as well. I think that would be interesting.

:elefant: <-- just had to use it somewhere!

sorry, edited out the red and put in green - it boinked my eyes.

I'd like to be somewhere in the middle, though I prefer not to have Mosch follow me (but don't mind him to be befor me).

Some kind of pre-generated plot would be nice and I like the "open"- option.

I agree with Sakura (except about Mosch...he can be in any order:)). I would not like to start since a direction I would go might lead to a dead end, not really crazy about doing an ending. The ending of a story is the one that always make people emotional whether is is good, bad or flat. Somewhere in the middle suits me fine. The idea of a pre-generated plot also sounds good. I am a right-brained person, so a little structure helps a lot. :idea: