2023 Monthly painting challenge - July

Hawkoon

I opted to g with a sort of healthy male Nephillim blue for Kastore in his sated and pumped up form while a more rotten and deathly palor for the recently awakened Kastore. For the black blood I didn't like the idea of going for actual black as I was worried it would end up looking like tar or just unpainted, so instead I decided to go with a dark shade of purple.

Alright, I fell into a huge motivation pit the last couple of months. I tried to pick up a brush a couple of times, but always stopped again after at most half an hour, because it just felt like a grind, paints wouldn't flow, it was too warm, every promise of "I'll be finished soon and it will look so cool" was too far away to keep me going, and I couldn't decide what I wanted to paint either. So: No finished minis in May and June.

So the last few days I finally got over it a bit and finished up a couple of WIPs:
5EqTbrY.jpgiGSFhyf.jpg

0gmZ8KX.jpg

Hans was a tough one. I did not want huge contrast on him, it just felt off to have a sniper stand out like that. But on the other hand, I didn't want him to look too boring brown either. So I invested in some small and muted details that hopefully still help to direct the eye - different types of metal on the gun, his glasses, his shirt, the rifle shells, stuff like that.

Next up: Either I'll get started on my Tara crew, or Parker and his posse. (Plus there are a few Merc and Woe stragglers still around in their original grey - Twin Blade Viks, Bishop, Desperate Mercs, Iggy, Carver, Dorian Crowe...)

But before that: How do mulligans work?

• Like 9

@Hawkoon - Alright, thanks! This means I used my mulligan in May, another one in June and because I painted 24 SS in July and only pledged for Henchman (11), I can use the July score to buy back that one mulligan, correct? Also: Not that it matters, as I only started in March anyway. :D 

Anyway, thank you - back to my brushes!

2 minutes ago, djmacbest said:

@Hawkoon - Alright, thanks! This means I used my mulligan in May, another one in June and because I painted 24 SS in July and only pledged for Henchman (11), I can use the July score to buy back that one mulligan, correct? Also: Not that it matters, as I only started in March anyway. :D 

Anyway, thank you - back to my brushes!

Tehcnically you would be out, but I think we should allow it seeing as you painted double in July. But you'll have to stay in the race the rest of the challenge ;)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hawkoon said:

Vacation and all, not much time this month to do much, but I did manage to squeeze out some quick and dirty hounds, fresh off the shelf after a long overdue errata😆

large.20230730_222740.jpg.cca334f55d6a31

Yay for the newly improved Corrupted Hounds. Actually tempted to try them as a one of in Kastore. Athorark can just incidentally produce a corpse marker turn 1 and the rest of the crew doesn't really have a way to use them, having hounds just running around self replicating off of it might be fun for a laugh. Lovely smooth paint job on the hounds though and you've done a great job of masking their join lines on the legs.

10 hours ago, MestreGuilderius said:

Posting some Terror Tots ! Finally started my Nephilim crew, but will not complete anymore this month obviously^^

Still, felt really good to do simple basecoat/highlights/shading, without airbrush shenannigans or OSLs :D and the bases were really relaxing to paint :D

IMG_20230730_173217.jpg

IMG_20230730_173248.jpg

IMG_20230730_172851.jpg

IMG_20230730_172907.jpg

IMG_20230730_172922.jpg

I love the skin color on these - really nice alternative to the usual blue-grey or pinkish-grey types! Very cool.

• Thanks 1

Hi folks, had a demo event over the weekend so my challenge was to paint my Crossroads Seven and have Wrath lead them.

in the end we played a henchman hardcore event and I did have Wrath leading. 

I didn’t quite finish my mysterious effigy but did fit in a Carrion emissary and 3 stacks of tokens made from the box logo art. Think they work well. Tried including the faction colour in each model to add some cohesion to the ragtag band.

Mostly painted with GW contrasts  

next month will be either a redo of my perdita crew (original crew was from 2009) or a redo of my Lady J crew (again original crew was from 2009)

D. 

IMG_3491.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Moinetbeard said:

Couple of models that I did a super quick job on a couple of weeks ago so they'd be ready for a tournament. Nothing fancy here, but sometimes it's fun to work quick!

large.20230731_220533.jpg.8a9a38edb8183a11dde1f6deef513823.jpglarge.20230731_220445.jpg.67386f1f0b5adad56fcffce4893d1765.jpg

Those are some beautifully done skin/scale tones on Gluttony and his snake. The details on the eyes lips and hat are also really nicely done for a "quick" paint job. Compared to your otherwork though the base does highlight that you were doing a quick job (compared to say your mechanical pork job from however many months back at least)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ugh, thought Beckoners were 6stones, so figured I was done and started focusing on my bloodbowl and moonstone backlog, leaving Dreamer Insomniac at 99% painted and not starting on the second beckoner that was right there, so I guess I'm taking a mulligan.  On the brightside, I'll be done with August and probably have a second model for a buyback really quick...

I am beginning to run out of models for crews that I've started painting, which means I'm approaching "must think of a crew scheme" territory again...

Skin is normal paints with a thin wash layer for some volume (that looks like it works really well on her face). The snake on the cane is a standard metallic. The rest, including the white trim and black cane are contrasts over old white-ish primer.

vBasyHZ.jpgn7WHFQB.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...