2023 Monthly painting challenge - July

Hawkoon

Sorry for the late post. Got got work up to my ears at the office before I get to go on vacation😱⚠️

But here we are, July well on it's way and past the halfway mark for this years challenge.

What will you guys be painting this month? Or will you do like most of us norwegians and take the month off from work and go on vacation? (I do hope I have time for both😬)

Already got a couple of models painted up this month but not Mlaifaux models! That's largely on account of the fact that my intended painting for this month is going to be Kastore and his returned keyword, which has just arrived this morning and is now sitting waiting for the glue to dry.

• Like 1

zxFw9oy.jpgMvInbbi.jpg

My first returned model is done (excluding a Barbaros I have sitting around who has been painted since 2E). Pretty pleased with how the different techniques came out on this one. If anyone has a good idea on how to paint black blood on models please share.

• Like 8

On 7/6/2023 at 7:30 PM, Hawkoon said:

Sorry for the late post. Got got work up to my ears at the office before I get to go on vacation😱⚠️

But here we are, July well on it's way and past the halfway mark for this years challenge.

What will you guys be painting this month? Or will you do like most of us norwegians and take the month off from work and go on vacation? (I do hope I have time for both😬)

We in France also usually go on vacations during July or August ;) for me it'll have to wait though, we're currently buying a new house so will have a few days in august, but most of my holydays time will be spent in packing and moving end of next month !

On 7/7/2023 at 3:06 PM, TimH said:

Already got a couple of models painted up this month but not Mlaifaux models! That's largely on account of the fact that my intended painting for this month is going to be Kastore and his returned keyword, which has just arrived this morning and is now sitting waiting for the glue to dry.

Ah ! Can't wait to receive the boxes I preordered too :D received a notification that it will arrive later this week :D but not close to paint them, as I'll have first to paint Nekima and her vampires friends, then maybe I'll go Kastore.... Or Titania.... Or maybe I'll finish Zoraida ? Too many cool minis to choose from !!!! XD

• Haha 1

Mid month post of a few models I've painted in the last couple of days. I've been finishing off Zipp's keyword and have made a start on the next- hoping to have a functional Nightmare crew finished by this time next week! Have been experimenting with different backgrounds - interesting how they highlight different parts of the model!

large.20230711_192239.jpg.25b632173bb7b963ffb3ad5a77caada4.jpglarge.20230711_192603.jpg.83eacb3e811e3ddb11667729db868864.jpglarge.20230711_192304.jpg.4cbbc7059b41e567e753689e9db7636d.jpglarge.20230711_192624.jpg.3f31c3c208a8b1f79946c618748d806e.jpglarge.20230711_192151.jpg.85cd43871038595b657155144a6bc50f.jpglarge.20230711_193342.jpg.e263c8388669d24ed67a44606baecbfe.jpglarge.20230711_192330.jpg.1924637fb7b679d1f48eaa5f8a0068ee.jpglarge.IMG_20230708_213302_010.jpg.54d62a778a20a37a80c75db38df18b22.jpg

• Like 9

Still working on my first mini for the month, got an Ogre Zombie, he's getting close... 

Went the local hobby store the other day, though, and found a display of Wyrd games... I don't really play anything currently, but I love painting... my husband is the active gamer and I talked him into picking up The Other Side, so I guess I'll have some of those to paint too! :) The models looks so awesome, really looking forward to delving into them here soon. 

M. 

I suspect there may be more in July, but here's the end of the Explorer's Society Starter Box. I haven't finished the basing, but everything from here out is tufts, etc, not painting. I'm still a little uncertain that Mr. Ngaatoro is "done". I'm pretty happy with how the shading of the vest came out with the stripes in the folds, but I chickened out on doing the usual highlighting from the lighted part (upper left as you look at him) to the more shaded part (bottom right). I wasn't sure I could make it work and look right with the stripes. I should probably try, though. I'll post more if I touch it up. Anyways, here they are!

Oops, one quick funny story - I was "done" with Mr. Ngaatoro, and was really disappointed in the face. It looked ... not great. Nowhere near as fearsome and intimidating as he should look. Then I realized - it's hard to look intimidating without eyebrows!!!! Yeah, oops.

Edit: Wow, those are crappy, blurry photos. Sorry!

IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5717.jpg

IMG_5718.jpg

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5729.jpg

• Like 6

Hi there!  I've been out a couple of months, work stuff and a bit of burnout, or maybe just lack of inspiration 😕

I did not paint anything on june, and neither will this month, on august i'll see if i feel more inspired and will try to at least recover the july pledge.

Have a nice summer, and stay cool! ❄️ 😎 (on the north emisphere, stay warm on the south ^^)

Honestly I haven't gotten much painting done myself in the last week or so... Almost got the Ogre done and have managed some prep work on a Dire Troll I want to do next as well as starting to get all of the Other Side mini's ready. 

But... just thought I would share really quick that I have been helping a special someone out on his own first painting endeavors. Teaching my 12 year old son some of the basics this week. He plans on doing his little WarHammer Army in Power Ranger colors! Looking forward to seeing how these turn out. I'm letting him do all the work, just showing him the basics and giving pointers along the way. :)

M.

Connor Paints.jpg

• Like 4

Finally got my Ogre done! Well that's one mini for the month, so I have met my quota... lol. He's a bigger one though, so that counts for extra, right? 

Hoping to get all of the Other Side mini's at least primed this weekend. Been busy with volunteering at my kids camp and trying to work this past week. :) 

M.

Ogre 1.jpg

Ogre 3.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 3:50 PM, Merideth said:

Honestly I haven't gotten much painting done myself in the last week or so... Almost got the Ogre done and have managed some prep work on a Dire Troll I want to do next as well as starting to get all of the Other Side mini's ready. 

But... just thought I would share really quick that I have been helping a special someone out on his own first painting endeavors. Teaching my 12 year old son some of the basics this week. He plans on doing his little WarHammer Army in Power Ranger colors! Looking forward to seeing how these turn out. I'm letting him do all the work, just showing him the basics and giving pointers along the way. :)

M.

Connor Paints.jpg

Amazing! Love to see the hobby shared within families! I've been painting with my 3 and 5 year old and was really surprised with what they've been able to do when shown some simple techniques. Hobby time is one of our favourite things to do together now.

They have also been helping me build a new board of terrain which we'll be looking to enter into a competition at UK malifaux nationals.

Hope your son keeps it up! He certainly looks engrossed!

• Like 1

I've managed to get a lot of painting done this month but mostly for 40k with the tyranids. I have however managed to make some good inroads into the Returned keyword and will be looking to finish them up next month.

CIaZknH.jpgDa7O3U2.jpghJZf7IJ.jpg5UAEyxL.jpgcbc7T6I.jpg

I'm especially pleased with how Marathine came out.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TimH said:

I've managed to get a lot of painting done this month but mostly for 40k with the tyranids. I have however managed to make some good inroads into the Returned keyword and will be looking to finish them up next month.

CIaZknH.jpgDa7O3U2.jpghJZf7IJ.jpg5UAEyxL.jpgcbc7T6I.jpg

I'm especially pleased with how Marathine came out.

While I'm still chipping away at my nephilim, I did get my returned crew (excluding the urnbearer box) yesterday! So looking forward to painting and playing these guys! I like how colourful you have made yours, but I'll probably go down a different route with mine (not quite sure yet).

I'm halfway done with my models this month, but been batchpainting, so taking some time 😉

• Thanks 1