2023 Monthly painting challenge - April

Hawkoon

Hello again.

Sorry for the delay, but I've been contracted by a miniature production company (that I'm currently not allowed to mention), so I had to spend some time sorting out the details about what I can and cannot do publicly as a painter.

Sadly, my contract prohibits me from showing off miniatures from other companies, and I'm not yet allowed to reveal my own work.

That means I'll take a back seat for the monthly challenges, but I'm still allowed to keep the thread going. 😭

So let's see what all you other people got in store for this months painting challenge!

Edit: Bad aprils fools joke from my part. I have no contract, nor do I want any 

• Haha 4

On 4/1/2023 at 7:11 PM, Hawkoon said:

Hello again.

Sorry for the delay, but I've been contracted by a miniature production company (that I'm currently not allowed to mention), so I had to spend some time sorting out the details about what I can and cannot do publicly as a painter.

Sadly, my contract prohibits me from showing off miniatures from other companies, and I'm not yet allowed to reveal my own work.

That means I'll take a back seat for the monthly challenges, but I'm still allowed to keep the thread going. 😭

So let's see what all you other people got in store for this months painting challenge!

Edit: Bad aprils fools joke from my part. I have no contract, nor do I want any 

I read this on April 3rd... XDDD

image.thumb.png.5016be7cdd0dcea058d3a4f631b843f8.png

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2

On 4/8/2023 at 10:05 AM, djmacbest said:

@Viruk you are trying to speedrun any% to a fully painted complete Malifaux collection, right? (740 of how many in total?)

Seriously, just amazing to see how you balance cool looks and getting shit done!

You gotta pay attention to the fact that 740 was 2020 and he obviously stopped counting ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay i have time on my hands and am fairly motivated to bring my Collection to an all painted state

a2ojSsM.jpgT1sHcWn.jpgMvhXBl0.jpgjfgIYZ6.jpg7PQ1iBj.jpg6kwglQj.jpgxQp3L3E.jpgBeT4teV.jpgUyNr2PR.jpgF1I5Qrr.jpg

Painted 3 Frontierspeople, Sandworm, 4 Traps, Basse Title, Bernadette, 2 Austringers, 2 Raptors, Paul Crockett and Pathfinder for a total of 80 SS.

Photo of fingers free of charge cause coffee hadn't reached left hand yet, forgot Pearl on group photo cause she is chilling with her brother.

That being done, Outcast have been completely completed last month already and i am 9 Models awaqy from completing explorers, which will happen this month and then it's on to the rest of thunders. Good Times

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, Gheist said:

You gotta pay attention to the fact that 740 was 2020 and he obviously stopped counting ;)

True, now it would be probably around twice that :D

@Gheist - great job all around and I love how they all come together!

And speaking of mins, here are a few more painted this month, bringing me to a total of 164 🔮

painters-challenge-April2023-13.jpg
painters-challenge-April2023-14.jpg
painters-challenge-April2023-15.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Note to self: april fools day jokes work better on a more instant planform where most people read the joke on the 1'st :P

@Viruk and @Gheist I'm seriously impressed by how much work you gotten done already this month. And not at the cost of quality painting😵

I particularly like the colours on @Gheist's sandworm and  @Viruk's "marshalls".

Quite an impressive load done by @djmacbest as well, that's what, ~50SS worth of models so far? (love the intense green of those woes!)

And I see we have gotten a new recruit! Looks very promising @Brad Maynes 👍 Looking forwards to see more stuff here soon

• Thanks 3

@Hawkoon I've found that the actual exercise of painting is much more enjoyable (for me, at least) when I go the quality route over the volume route, so I'm not going to be threatening any great volume of production (and I have another project that is on the volume over quality track right now!), but I'll post what I do! Gearling #2 is on the table right now - hope to get a start on Sunday. I've always been an NMM naysayer, but really enjoyed it on Gearling #1!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brad Maynes said:

@Hawkoon I've found that the actual exercise of painting is much more enjoyable (for me, at least) when I go the quality route over the volume route, so I'm not going to be threatening any great volume of production (and I have another project that is on the volume over quality track right now!), but I'll post what I do! Gearling #2 is on the table right now - hope to get a start on Sunday. I've always been an NMM naysayer, but really enjoyed it on Gearling #1!

Oh, I'm also in the quality>quantity camp, so I fully understand. Though I do enjoy playing with painted models, so I have this constant inner struggle with myself :P

5 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

Oh, I'm also in the quality>quantity camp, so I fully understand. Though I do enjoy playing with painted models, so I have this constant inner struggle with myself :P

This is why I've really come around on skirmish-level games like Malifaux (and other unmentionables ;)). You can paint, but still have a playable force in a (reasonably) short amount of time. There's still nothing as impressive as a huge, fully-painted army, but good grief it just sucks away my soul trying to paint it ... 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hawkoon said:

Quite an impressive load done by @djmacbest as well, that's what, ~50SS worth of models so far? (love the intense green of those woes!)

To be fair: I usually start many minis at once, so all of these had some work done in March already. But you're right, 49 - I wasn't even aware. Masters pay so much... 😍

51 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

+1 - but then there's about 60 primed Malifaux models I would love to get to, so the struggle is definitely real. Biggest pitfall is to avoid getting stalled or burnt out by something I don't enjoy painting - trying to recognize when good enough is good enough. E.g. the Sorrows above: I enjoyed the green stuff, I didn't enjoy painting and highlighting the bodies, so I quickly abandoned that, gave them a speedpaint coat, some corrections and clean-up, and called it a day.

On 4/11/2023 at 4:52 AM, Gheist said:

Okay i have time on my hands and am fairly motivated to bring my Collection to an all painted state

a2ojSsM.jpgT1sHcWn.jpgMvhXBl0.jpgjfgIYZ6.jpg7PQ1iBj.jpg6kwglQj.jpgxQp3L3E.jpgBeT4teV.jpgUyNr2PR.jpgF1I5Qrr.jpg

Painted 3 Frontierspeople, Sandworm, 4 Traps, Basse Title, Bernadette, 2 Austringers, 2 Raptors, Paul Crockett and Pathfinder for a total of 80 SS.

Photo of fingers free of charge cause coffee hadn't reached left hand yet, forgot Pearl on group photo cause she is chilling with her brother.

That being done, Outcast have been completely completed last month already and i am 9 Models awaqy from completing explorers, which will happen this month and then it's on to the rest of thunders. Good Times

Awesome. I just ordered this crew. Hoping to start building it by end of the month once it gets here. 

• Like 1