Ressers in the MWS, New Year's Retribution 2.

Just now, hydranixx said:

Yeah, that Red Joker really came up clutch there. 

I'm curious what the reasoning behind that being a mistake is though? The Fade Away trigger timing is "When resolving," - so on my first read I would have actually thought it may be declared, suit depending, regardless of who wins the duel as the Action resolves whether it hits or misses. What stops it? Is it that the Scribe has to have lost the duel, outright, or that the Scribe has to receive damage as part of the duel in order to reduce the damage and Bury?

When resolving triggers can only take place in the step where you resolve the effects of the attack. If the attack fails, you skip the step where you would resolve those triggers. It's a tricky rule to know as it isn't spelled out that clearly.

1 minute ago, hydranixx said:

Overall it looks like a game of lots of small things happening that were largely overshadowed by 3 really big moments:

• Manos gets kidnapped and killed before doing anything (other than removing a crate).
  • Yan Lo's Treacherous Paths on the Scribe failing.
  • Agent 46 stoning for and simultaneously top decking a high Ram to one shot the Soul Porter so that he could immediately pick up a Symbol.

Look at it in retrospect, would you have made any changes in list creation, or Scheme selection?

Or do you reckon it's largely just a case of the crew and Schemes being ok, but that exposing Manos alone cost you one of your best scoring assets, Activation control and all your Soulstones at the same time, all extremely early in the game.

I think one big mistake was saying to Guild: "Hey, do you want to play a low-scoring symbols game?"

I should have just accepted that my potential to score points was higher than his and went for a high scoring game.

That said, I think the list was largely fine. I needed to not use Gwisin 2 as my Vendetta model, which would have meant I was more willing to let it die protecting Manos. If Manos had survived that fight without me losing my Vendetta gwisin, i think I would have won the game easily.

Killing Pale Rider was something I thought would be of critical importance to stop his scoring, and that turned out to be correct. So going after it was pretty sensible. I also thought Manos would die and so didn't want to use him to Vendetta... I just thought he would take longer to die.

The other thing is that I activated Manos way too early so that I could avoid destroying the crate while Yin was on it... So manos died to prevent Yin taking one damage... That was the really stupid thing, messing with my activation order for a tiny bit of positioning/health on Yin.

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

When resolving triggers can only take place in the step where you resolve the effects of the attack. If the attack fails, you skip the step where you would resolve those triggers. It's a tricky rule to know as it isn't spelled out that clearly.

Yeah, that's not intuitive in the slightest. Good to know though, I'll try store that one in the memory bank!

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

That said, I think the list was largely fine. I needed to not use Gwisin 2 as my Vendetta model, which would have meant I was more willing to let it die protecting Manos. If Manos had survived that fight without me losing my Vendetta gwisin, i think I would have won the game easily.

Was Gwisin 2 the one that ran into the bush in the middle mid turn 1, or the other one?

Yeah, probably a fair call. Manos can do a lot of heavy lifting in this kind of scheme pool if he managed a few more activations.

Just now, hydranixx said:

Was Gwisin 2 the one that ran into the bush in the middle mid turn 1, or the other one?

Yeah, probably a fair call. Manos can do a lot of heavy lifting in this kind of scheme pool if he managed a few more activations.

Gwisin 2 was the one in the bush near Manos.

The reason I didnt run over to it for protection was I didn't want it dying.

Having my critical model next to the one take the hit model I wasn't willing to let die was silly....

I also could have moved up an ashigaru to protect manos.

I have to admit I always forget the massive threat range of Down the Wrong path and don't take it seriously enough 😜

27 minutes ago, Arlos896 said:

That's like my primary problem with Reva is giving the opponent a pass token a turn for the corpse candles. Granted I may be a bit cavalier in blowing them up for two pyres and a corpse marker haha. 

Yeah I find mid and late game I have to be quite conservative with making them.

It helps that I also just straight up forget to make them xD

• Haha 2

Wow ×3 Spelleater! If I'm not mistaken Death Rider can still use fate token to add crows against them right (Spell eater is before declaring and Rider is when declaring)? 

This map is not friendly to models that doesn't ignore the terrain. I wonder who is going to do the can kicking for your oponent.

It would be nice to hear your comments on their crew as well.

Just now, SEV said:

It would be nice to hear your comments on their crew as well.

While I could do this for future rounds, I worry that then it turns from doing a video on my own gameplay to critiquing my opponent's gameplay.

I'm not sure I'd want to ask my opponents to let me critique their lists publicly.

But I'll have a think!

1 minute ago, SEV said:

I meant just hear your tough on this forum, not doing a video about it 😀.

Hmmm...

Okay, well, some basic thoughts:

Challenges his lists presents:

Spelleaters can be pretty dangerous, and once I get a parasite they make me melt even faster. They can also abuse me with conditions for my discard mechanic (but thankfully can't abuse Archie, the main model that discards near them). They're vulnerable to concealing and severe, but I don't get to pick deployment zone so we'll see how much that matters.

Ngaatoro obeys are a real threat to the Rider, so I have to play around that. A single succesful obey will drain all his tokens which can be a pain.

Archivist +2 initiative is a massive pain for my back-to-back plays (like Crooligan catch and release with no response from opponent).

Nests are just scary. If they get near Archie he gets parasited, which is a death sentence. They can also guard break the line markers really effectively, which slows me down.

Opportunities:

No emissary and no Flush with Cash means I can actually put up a decent fight. He also has only 4 stones.

So while I'm not sure it would be the best route, I can at least consider diving models in his crew and trying to kill stuff (which would be a bit impossible if he had emissary/flush with cash spread over the crew).

Overall impression:

I feel like I have options. If I want to play a cagey, scoring game I can. If I want to mix in some fighting and killing I can.

My big advantage is that my crew is better at scoring points in this pool, I think. His big advantage is his huge late-game advantage and inevitability.

So I'm going to have to have a think as to how I'm going to pressure his crew early game - moving markers or killing models?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:
  • Nexus 1
  • Two nests
  • Dr Meredith Stanley
  • Archivist
  • Spelleater
  • Spelleater
  • Spelleater
  • Mr Ngaatoro
  • 4 stones

Considering it's Break The Line, this crew exudes more BDE than I've ever seen before haha.

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of in love with it.

Though my rational side is saying: "I'm not sure how all the ranged attacks present in the list will handle 4 Concealing markers in the middle of the board - over and above the question of how will they score them."

I look forward to seeing the gameplay video and learning how he mitigates it!

6 minutes ago, Morgan Vening said:

What did you do?

I'd watch the video, but I'm at work.

I love hearing about people massively screwing up.

Makes me feel like I'm not alone.

I took four AP with Molly 😂😂😂

I walked, reactivated crooligan, walked, lost knowledge...

I was so tired that despite using the cards to reactivate the crooligan, I didn't mark it as reactivated. So later I go "hold up... Crooligan should be reactivated, right? Count the AP it took... Oh fuck I took too many."

Luckily we were able to resolve it.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...