Beginner needs illumination

Hipper Hopper Table Toper

Question

Hello,

greetings from Germany.

I just bought this Game. More specific did I bought the Hoffman Core box as well as the Viktorias core Box, to play this game with a friend.
In general I would say I understood the rules so far. But there are some uncertain things.

Here are a small list with of things I dont understand:

1. Charles Hoffman (guild): The "spool up" trigger of the attack action "enhanced fist".

If I get it right the opposite player must have a Tome in the Final Duel Total but I must win it. Is this correct?

2.Vanessa Chambers (outcast): The "Harness Ley Line" abillity.

As long as Vanessa is in in Base contact with the centerline, she gets +2 for her duell stats & always the Tome suit in her final duell total. Right?

3.Melissa K.o.r.e (guild): The "Power Converter" abillity.

She can discard a Power Token for th + on the Flip or the selectable Suit even if she doesn't removed a Scrap Marker at the beginning of her Activation?

Right?

4. Ronin (outcast): "Puncture" Trigger  of the "Daito" attack

& Hunter (guild): "Critical Strike" Trigger of the "Metal claw" attack

Both say in Brackets quote: "(to a maximum of 2)"

How can I get the maximum? I just get one Suit from the Card which I fliped in the duell. How would it be possible to get a second Ram suit?

I hope u can help me.

cheers

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Hipper Hopper Table Toper said:

But it has no action against enmy models. It Says: "enemy only. This Model gain s a Power Token"

If the Effect is only for Charles Hoffman himself, I cant declare it agains someone? Right?

So I dont understand whats the use of these "enemy only" words.

Sorry if I am a bit to slow to get it. ^^

It means the Action must be targeting an enemy model for you to declare that trigger. So Hoffman can’t attack a friendly model and declare a trigger which specifies “enemy only”. Italics stand for costs OR restrictions. Read the “Special Restrictions” box on pg. 23.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Welcome to Malifaux!

5 minutes ago, Hipper Hopper Table Toper said:

1. Charles Hoffman (guild): The "spool up" trigger of the attack action "enhanced fist".

If I get it right the opposite player must have a Tome in the Final Duel Total but I must win it. Is this correct?

Unless a trigger specifies otherwise, it will default to after succeeding. So you need to win the duel for it to happen (some triggers are after resolving so you don't need to win, and some are immediate so they happen immediately, again no success required). Then you always need the suit in the duel total to declare a trigger but Hoffman has a tome built-in, so unless something removes that he'll always be able to declare spool up.

8 minutes ago, Hipper Hopper Table Toper said:

2.Vanessa Chambers (outcast): The "Harness Ley Line" abillity.

As long as Vanessa is in in Base contact with the centerline, she gets +2 for her duell stats & always the Tome suit in her final duell total. Right?

Yes, you got it.

9 minutes ago, Hipper Hopper Table Toper said:

3.Melissa K.o.r.e (guild): The "Power Converter" abillity.

She can discard a Power Token for th + on the Flip or the selectable Suit even if she doesn't removed a Scrap Marker at the beginning of her Activation?

Right?

Again, yes. As long as you have a power token, you can do that.

9 minutes ago, Hipper Hopper Table Toper said:

4. Ronin (outcast): "Puncture" Trigger  of the "Daito" attack

& Hunter (guild): "Critical Strike" Trigger of the "Metal claw" attack

Both say in Brackets quote: "(to a maximum of 2)"

How can I get the maximum? I just get one Suit from the Card which I fliped in the duell. How would it be possible to get a second Ram suit?

There are various other ways to again additional suits. You've see it with Hoffman (built in), Vanessa (an ability). Henchman and Masters can spend a soul stone to add a suit while also getting the suit from the card. Power tokens can add suits. There's many other ways (it's one complex game). In the Ronin's specific case I don't believe it's possible to get more than 1, but other models that can use the same trigger.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

First of all I want to thank you for the quick and detailed reply.

But I have one more Question to the 1. Question (Hoffman's  Spool Up trigger)

It says in Italics : "enemy only"

As far as i understood the Rules these are the costs? So why did it say there "enemy only" if I can declare it anyways?

I dont get it!

But it has no action against enmy models. It Says: "enemy only. This Model gain s a Power Token"

If the Effect is only for Charles Hoffman himself, I cant declare it agains someone? Right?

So I dont understand whats the use of these "enemy only" words.

Sorry if I am a bit to slow to get it. ^^

Its a complicated game, further it flips many "conventional" war gaming tropes on their head (notably your entire crew can be slaughtered half way through the game, you've killed nothing and you crush your opponent, been there, done that). It means a lot of the common presumptions war gamers (or folks thinking what a war game will be) walk in with are modified or don't apply.

However, as you've discovered the community is, generally, very helpful, positive and understanding.

Play well and my all your flips be :+flip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1