What's needed for a tournament?

I'm trying to figure out what I need to gather up as my "starter kit" before I head off to my first event. Is there anything that I'm missing? Any suggestions for what to use to track the various conditions that need to be tracked?

- Tape measure
- Fate deck
- Rule book
- Current version of Gaining Grounds
- Cards for models and upgrades
- 10 x Corpse markers (30mm)
- 10 x Scrap Markers (30mm)
- 10 x Scheme Markers (30mm)
- 4 x Blast marker (50mm)
- Something to track wounds
- Something to track conditions that might be inflicted by your crews. 

• Like 1

Models! (Seriously I've turned up to an event without my master. It didn't go well. My round one opponent was more than happy for me to use a proxy, since we'd already shared crew lists but it threw my thinking off completely)

Generally I mark conditions with a dry wipe marker on a card protector. I know plenty of other people that use counters and die.

In addition to the rules for Gaining grounds I find it easier if I have a physical marker of what I have picked. (I generally like to use a card with the scheme rules on it that I can flip when revealed. the ease of checking it can save you accidently trying to score points for the wrong scheme part way through the game)

You might need strategy markers, but you may have that covered because you may not need both scrap and corpse You might also need other markers based on your crew (Piano, Ice pillars, Pyres, pit traps etc.) 

I would also suggest bringing a drink or maybe some form of light snack. The games can be intense and tiring and you may not always get enough spare time to find food and drink in between games. 

Have fun. Tournements should be an excuse to get several games of Malifaux in a day against different opponents

• Agree 1

Proxy markers!

Blank 30/40/50mm bases, ideally that stick to terrain well (I use some laser-cut plywood ones that stick to terrain even at angles). There will be times when your model can't fit exactly where it is supposed to, or you want to test and measure movement before you officially move the model, or terrain keeps making your model fall over.

Proxy markers make that so much easier! Blank Wyrd Bases work too, but they don't stick to terrain as well (they stick better than a model, though).

Bottles of drink/food if your venture doesn't provide it 

And I don't mean just for lunch time, your going to be talking long periods of the day and you don't want to have a sour throat by the end of it 

And deodrant. Things might be different in a post covid world but gaming events are tightly packed, generally poorly venterlated halls, and there are some real unpleasant smells on occasion when you get to round 3 and people are already warm and also anxious about final round placement adding to sweat factor 

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2021 at 2:58 PM, Gauri Gargee said:

I'm trying to figure out what I need to gather up as my "starter kit" before I head off to my first event. Is there anything that I'm missing? Any suggestions for what to use to track the various conditions that need to be tracked?

- Tape measure
- Fate deck
- Rule book 
- Current version of Gaining Grounds
- Cards for models and upgrades
- 10 x Corpse markers (30mm)
- 10 x Scrap Markers (30mm)
- 10 x Scheme Markers (30mm)
- 4 x Blast marker (50mm)
- Something to track wounds 
- Something to track conditions that might be inflicted by your crews. 

I got this,...