Thoughts on maddox and dumont

ooshawn

26 minutes ago, ooshawn said:

I came here for your thoughts on these models. My opinion as it stands is they seem quite bad for their ss cost. Have any of you found a specific or general strategic purpose for these models that is better than a beckoner+depleted or a illuminated? Thanks ahead of time 

Kitty and Gwen are both fantastic models that I take in nearly every game with lynch.  Gwen's hit the jackpot can refill your hand / get trash out of the endles rig cycle, and Kitty is both a great schemer / placement model and lets you draw cards well with her melee trigger (and usually hit for 2-3 with the semi-always positives).  I say get em on the table and see if you still feel the shame, they may surprise you.

Now if you wanted to say someone who wasn't worth it, it'd be Graves for me.  Just better stuff at that level and doesn't synergise as well with honeypot.

• Agree 6

19 minutes ago, ooshawn said:

What do you prefer over graves , or would that just be where you insert kitty or gwen

Depends.  For a similar stone cost something like a samurai / fuhatsu / emissary are solid choices if you're going for 'big beefy + can put out some damage'.  If you're going for the movement tricks, that's a bit different as none of those really replace the lead the way (although that always feels more like an effigy action than a 8 stone enforcer).

As for Kitty / Gwen, no they don't really replace graves as he's kind a big beater.  Gwen may be the closest as she can put out some decent damage if you're hitting someone with brilliance +2 and luck thief keeps her on the board longer than you'd expect and works well with tannen's aura to get some more pings out.  Kitty tends to be a bit of support with tendrils for forward movement and then goes off and schemes with drawn to brilliance / lingering contamination and mv6 with incorporeal... but she melts pretty fast in melee, so (for me) she has some good games and some iffy ones.

I think the other issue I have with graves is that he just doesn't have the brilliance synergy that a lot of the rest of the keyword has.  The only way he can get brilliance out is via lead the way, and there's nothign on his card that uses it.  Black blood is also directly opposite to his bodyguard ability as you end up pinging your own guys if he gets hit.  So with that little synergy OOK / veratile hires just make more sense.  Is also prolly why I like kitty / gwen even if they're not exactly the best in all situations, they have so much to bring to the keyword via brilliance synergy that theres usually something good they can do.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ooshawn said:

I definitely feel like kitty is the more questionable of the two for me at least.  how many depleted, beckoners, and depleted do you take

I usually play pretty light on illuminated / beckoners / depleted, but I also have been distracted from my first love lynch for a while with explorers / arcanists / etc (think I've played nearly every faction in the last 2 months...), so I dont pretend to have the most up to date strategies.  Beckoners I like for the lure and the turn 1 free brilliance so will usually take 1, Illuminated never do much for me, so while I keep trying them now + then, if I don't have stones for it, I'll leave em at home (but then again my opponent usually brings ruthless against lynch as huggy has terrifying, so that makes them a bit squishier than they would otherwise be and may be part of the reason i leave em home).  Depleted I also don't tend to take cause while I know there's some fun tricks (run em out early + use as a node to drag people forward turn 1... I just don't like spending stones for insignificant models (same issue I have hiring prospects in Explorers).

Core group for me is kind of:

• Kitty (for scheming)
  • Gwen (for tarpitting / card cycle)
  • Tannen (for more ranged brilliance + auras)
  • Tanuki (cause that crew tends to need heals)

After that it's whatever I need at the time.  Emissary is good as the crew can be a bit slow (outside of kitty) or Desper (either dropping kitty or in addition to if I really needed to hit the backfield).  I do tend to play fast / squishy crews and choose schemes that need movement over staying power, so could see playing / building a lot differently if you're going into leylines or want to use an illuminated for vendetta/take prisoner/etc it could be good.

I don't play the crew, but some thoughts on first viewing of the card of Kitty.

Incorporeal is incredibly strong. Damage reduction and ignores terrain all in one.

Extra movement for models is one of the most powerful things in the game, and she can do it on a bonus for herself, or use an action to reposition an enemy at stat six, or an ally with 6 or higher.

And then she can drop a scheme as a bonus!! That was a bit stronger last season, and I imagine will be important next season.

She seems like a fantastic utility model.

• Agree 3

22 hours ago, ooshawn said:

I definitely feel like kitty is the more questionable of the two for me at least.  how many depleted, beckoners, and depleted do you take

Kitty is a really strong model! I almost always took her when I played Lynch in last season! (haven't played one game of the new season because of Covid :( )

Movement shenanigans will make you win game and she has a ton of it while also being an excellent schemer! ;) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Kitty is an all-star for Leylines as well. She can push her self out of engagements and charge/move through models and terrain (often to the opposite side of the strategy marker) I usually put the loadstone on her in the beginning of the game and she holds it the whole game scoring pretty much every turn.