Can you "choose a model" multiple times?

Whut

Question

8 answers to this question

32 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I could see it going either way. Perhaps best to discuss with your opponent before the game!

I'd lean towards disallowing it though. Otherwise it is guaranteed discard two cards at a minimum which seems nuts for no resist.

Well, no, it's just guaranteeing the Stun. If you need to "Discard or Gain Stunned" 3 times, you can just gain stunned 3 times and not discard.
Unless there's some rule I'm unaware of where you can only choose to gain conditions you don't have?

4 minutes ago, Biletsky said:

Well, no, it's just guaranteeing the Stun. If you need to "Discard or Gain Stunned" 3 times, you can just gain stunned 3 times and not discard.
Unless there's some rule I'm unaware of where you can only choose to gain conditions you don't have?

Check This or That Choices in the rulebook. You can't choose to gain stunned if you have it already, so you must select the other option.

Works in reverse as well (if they don't have three cards, must gain stunned).

EDIT: ew, gross. Brin has a trigger for stun on another ability, so could even stun them and then force discard three cards...

2 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Check this or that choices. You can't choose to gain stunned if you have it already, so you must select the other option.

Works in reverse as well (if they don't have three cards, must gain stunned).

Right, didn't know that.

In that case, this is SO far beyond anything RaI that I wouldn't even try to argue it. I'd say when choosing models, you have to choose separate models

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biletsky said:

That would be the "This or That" choices rule, page 33 of the rules PDF.  If you are already stunned, and you have a card in your hand, you have to discard, because you have to choose the option you can actually do.  The only escape is when you can't do any of the choices (no cards in your hand and have Stunned).

I think there are two supporting factors:

- You don't shuffle the cards into the deck one a time.  So if you shuffle three tomes into the deck, you're at a situation of "choose three models", not "choose one model" three times in sequence.

- The alternatives like "For every tome ... chose another enemy model ..." or "For every tome ... choose a different enemy model ..." don't work semantically when the main action's effect doesn't choose a model.  

• Agree 2