RCT 9: OOK and versatile picks.

Maniacal_cackle

47 minutes ago, unti said:

Which models are you using to scheme in a kirai crew?

I think the default is Shikome, but you also have a lot of options with using seishin to walk models around and scheme.

I think a core weakness of Kirai is disengaging and interacting (unless I'm missing something), but when you can flood the map with tons of summons you can find a chance to interact.

Myself not at all, but that's what I see across the table. For Kirai it's a numbers game, while there are no models which have a focus on scheming specific abilities, Kirai usually has so many models on the field (and can summon them in good positions), she can afford to use whatever is available.

Shikome, as maniacal says as well, is the go-to choice as far as I saw, simply for her high Mv and flight. But also Gaki and Onryo summoned into the game for being really cheap. A Lost Love can have nothing better to do sometimes and be utilized, at least for schemes which don't require to go very far out (e.g. Runic Binding, Research Mission sometimes). Ikiryo btw is a phantastic Hidden Martyrs target.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 8:58 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

Interesting! Do you find them better than Restless Spirit, or is it just a matter of what you own?

Whoops.  Didn't check this thread for a while.  I hadn't actually compared Dandies to Spirit for corpse creation.  I have only used Dandies in games where I was pretty sure I was really worried about an opponent taking Sabotage.  They sure don't have the defensive tricks the Spirit does.  But the ability to remove enemy schemes too can be a perk in certain situations.  Will have to do more testing.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 4:34 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

That's often my concern with him (besides not owning him), but seems like he is going to struggle to get up the board.

I also just don't like manipulative usually - I don't like abilities that force me to activate in a different order xD

I've liked him with Reva as a shield bearer can ping him 6" and his regen takes care of it. But yes, he is slow. 

Manipulative is nice, but you want him activating early if you intend to hand out Injured. 

He's an interesting choice and I'm not 100% he's worth his points. If he had a better way to heal, like his trigger built in on Fresh Meat he'd see more play. Chatty can be nice, but in GG1 I honestly almost never see the scheme marker schemes as they tend to be more difficult than others. Maybe it's just luck of the draw on schemes for me though.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 6:34 PM, Maniacal_cackle said:

but if you want Goryo out of keyword, aren't you generally going to be better to just snag Kirai (assuming you're not in a super card-hungry crew)?

I find every crew card hungry 😄. I also don't play double masters, so not really a question. If you are playing double masters then Kirai is always a good pick honestly. 

• Like 1

I just took Archie (and Dead Rider and Grave Golem) into a Reva crew, and it worked pretty well!

With Archie I think you just have to accept you get 2, maybe 3 good leaps off in the game and you can still make pretty good use of him. Definitely made for some tough calls of how to use the cards, and the crew may have been too card heavy if there had been more pressure on my hand... But Archie feels like a contender OOK still.

This week I ended up with this list and it was fun/stupid:

Reva+ candles with whisper

Bete

Grave golem

Draugr w/GST 

Restless spirit

Emissary 

Lots of versatile and they should slap keyword on Bete cuz I'm taking her forever with Reva haha I want to try a zombie horde crew with Asura, just waiting for the right pool to come up and I wanna get Anna for it as well 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wyamphri said:

This week I ended up with this list and it was fun/stupid:

Reva+ candles with whisper

Bete

Grave golem

Draugr w/GST 

Restless spirit

Emissary 

Lots of versatile and they should slap keyword on Bete cuz I'm taking her forever with Reva haha I want to try a zombie horde crew with Asura, just waiting for the right pool to come up and I wanna get Anna for it as well 

I know, right?? Reva feels like the absolute best fit for Bete, the model is nuts there! Wouldn't object to her being a revenant at all, mechanically xD All corpse marker users seem like a potential good fit for Reva (I'm pretty keen to try the McMourning list as well).

That list is very similar to mine, except I drop the Draugr and Emissary for Dead Rider, Shieldbearer, Bone pile.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wyamphri said:

I'd use Rider more but I dont wanna demoralize em too bad haha I'd also use bone piles but I'm dreading putting them together and work has been brutal.

How are you using Shieldbearers? They never seem to do much for me 

My shieldbearers are typically:

• Blasphemous ritual, killing a corpse candle and leaving a pyre marker
  • double smack the grave golem for 4-12 inches of move.
  • Die turn 2 or 3.

If they're not killed off, they're looking for opportunities to reposition my stuff whenever needed, blasphemous ritual where possible, stand near important things to Take the Hit (especially turn 1 against potential alpha strikes), occasional interacts, etc. Occasionally they're good for hitting enemies surprisingly hard (and they heal when they do it!)

But general their utility is so large that my opponents kill them very early in the game.

EDIT: That pyre marker down makes it real convenient to have a couple models start stacking up some burning for Reva, and then she turns it back into a corpse candle on her turn.

EDIT2: But that extra movement on the grave golem is so, so valuable. A top priority for me is having it hurl corpse turn 1, so Reva can start the beatdown from a safe distance.

• Like 1

I'll have to force myself to try em out more, they just seem so meh to me. Do you ever slap GST on em or do you find they are pretty good one their own? As for alpha strikes, I tend to use Toshiro+ Ashigaru to stop them and I find it works really well. Do you find they compare or is it mostly about the take a hit for you?

3 minutes ago, Wyamphri said:

I'll have to force myself to try em out more, they just seem so meh to me. Do you ever slap GST on em or do you find they are pretty good one their own? As for alpha strikes, I tend to use Toshiro+ Ashigaru to stop them and I find it works really well. Do you find they compare or is it mostly about the take a hit for you?

I don't put GST on them because then I've got an 8-cost model with 5 health, which just seems risky to me.

The two main reasons I take them are: blasphemous ritual for an extra 3-4 focus, and that extra move on the grave golem. I edited my previous post, but here's what I said:

But that extra movement on the grave golem is so, so valuable. A top priority for me is having it hurl corpse turn 1, so Reva can start the beatdown from a safe distance.

Basically there aren't that many ways to efficiently move the grave golem up the field, and opening up that early hurl corpse to start the beatdown pressure from turn one has been very solid for me.

The rest is icing on the cake.

• Thanks 1