Why Hello, Shieldbearers

Kharnage

Question

I played this interaction out this evening but wanted to confirm I played it correctly. 
Seamus's Ability:
"Why Hello, Love": After an enemy model ends a move engaged by this model, if it is not the enemy model's Activation, this model may take a :ToS-Melee: action targeting it.

Shieldbearer's Shield Bash pushes a model 2 inches, then can separately Knock Aside a model for a 4 inch push. Can this be used to generate two free Seamus attacks? There's kind of a "wait till an action's finished resolving to resolve subsequent actions" philosophical approach in Malifaux, but also there are two separate pushes occurring and there's not an after resolving timing for Why Hello, Love, so I'm asking.

7 answers to this question

On the next page, it states:

If multiple Actions are generated, they are queued and resolved one at a time in the order they were generated (whichever happened first or was listed first on the card). If an Action in a queue generates an Action, that Action happens before moving to the next Action in the queue

So I think the idea is that you're supposed to queue actions and resolve them all when multiple are generated.

• Agree 1

If it does have 2 attacks, they will both occur after the shield bash action is finished.

The model ends 2 moves so "why hello Love" ought to be activated twice. the only tricky part is the rules that say (p34 erratad electronic)

Many effects in Malifaux, (such as Actions, Abilities, and Triggers) can cause a model to take an Action.

When this happens, the new Action is always resolved after the previous Action is completely resolved, including any “After Resolving” effects, but before any other new Action can be taken.

Actions generated in this way follow the normal sequence for Actions and do not count against a model’s Action limit.

Which leads to the tricky part of you now have 2 new actions trying to happen before any other new action can occur.

Because of that, I'm not so sure that you can get 2 attacks, because the timing window can not fit both of those attacks in by definition. I don't think that is what that line was intended to mean, but it is there.  

Edit I didn't read on to the next page where it gives rules for multiple actions caused by 1 action, so ignore my post ( although the rules quoted still answer the when). 

4 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

On the next page, it states:

So I think the idea is that you're supposed to queue actions and resolve them all when multiple are generated.

Cheers. I  didn't think to read on.

Well in that case I'm back in the 2 actions camp (which was where I was when I started to write the reply, and only changed when I read the effects causing actions box again)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Adran said:

Well in that case I'm back in the 2 actions camp (which was where I was when I started to write the reply, and only changed when I read the effects causing actions box again)

But to be super specific, it would be, get pushed, get pushed, done. THEN two generated actions, right? 

1 minute ago, Kharnage said:

But to be super specific, it would be, get pushed, get pushed, done. THEN two generated actions, right? 

Yes. Actions are held off until the existing action is finished. (I've even checked the next page, and the rules don't change this time:D). SO it is 1 daamge push, push, (take any hazardous, or any defensive stuff caused by the attack) attack, attack.

"When this happens, the new Action is always resolved after the previous Action is completely resolved, including any “After Resolving” effects, but before any other new Action can be taken."

This edition doesn't do actions occurring inside actions, the rules aren't written to support it. (I'm going to ignore disengage..:()

9 hours ago, Adran said:

If it does have 2 attacks, they will both occur after the shield bash action is finished.

The model ends 2 moves so "why hello Love" ought to be activated twice. the only tricky part is the rules that say (p34 erratad electronic)

Many effects in Malifaux, (such as Actions, Abilities, and Triggers) can cause a model to take an Action.

When this happens, the new Action is always resolved after the previous Action is completely resolved, including any “After Resolving” effects, but before any other new Action can be taken.

Actions generated in this way follow the normal sequence for Actions and do not count against a model’s Action limit.

Which leads to the tricky part of you now have 2 new actions trying to happen before any other new action can occur.

Because of that, I'm not so sure that you can get 2 attacks, because the timing window can not fit both of those attacks in by definition. I don't think that is what that line was intended to mean, but it is there.  

This isn't all that different than Zoraida obeying something with the Ensorcel trigger that has onslaught. Or Paul triggering an attack with Coordinated Strike and Scent of Blood(bonus points if Paul was also obeyed with the Ensorcel trigger for 3 generated actions in the queue)

• Agree 1