Recover Evidence loophole?

Morgan Vening

Question

This was brought up by @Maladroit and @Ludvig in the Waldo thread, but as it hasn't been responded to, I figured I should shift it here.

You mean the demise ability which says you do not drop any markers when killed. Which you can build an entire Sonnia crew full of? And a strategy marker is dropped in recover evidence.

"Strategy markers cannot be affected by the effects of models" (p28 of the electronic rules). But the marker does not exist until it is dropped so . . . might need a FAQ or a slight clarification on the card.

Basically, the current wording for Strategy Markers don't preclude them from not being dropped by Demise (Flaming). Once a Strat Marker is down, it can't be affected, but it's generation appears like it can.

Meaning a crew that is Sonnia (+EF), and nothing but Thralls, Stalkers and Spellcasters, can legally have it's 5 Evidence Tokens assigned to it, but when it comes time to put the models on the table, anything short of Lantern of Souls or Execute (or similar) would mean the opponent gets nothing.

Not sure that's intended, and a quick review of Strat Marker creation to avoid that interpretation (or a specific statement it's intended), will prevent an inevitable argument from happening.

6 answers to this question

AFAIK "Affect" isn't defined in the rules; stating that if the marker isn't in the table, an ability isn't affecting it is only one of the posible readings. Prevent them to being created sounds like afecting the strategy markers to me, which the cited rule would prevent.

Being said that, I could see both ways to defend it, but with rule of thumb of "if something break the game, it's the other way", that would be my reading.

A FAQ about it would be helpful tho.

• Agree 2

On 2/29/2020 at 4:23 AM, Ogid said:

AFAIK "Affect" isn't defined in the rules; stating that if the marker isn't in the table, an ability isn't affecting it is only one of the posible readings. Prevent them to being created sounds like afecting the strategy markers to me, which the cited rule would prevent.

Being said that, I could see both ways to defend it, but with rule of thumb of "if something break the game, it's the other way", that would be my reading.

A FAQ about it would be helpful tho.

Most abilities that affect markers do not affect strat markers; strat markers are for the most part immune to shenanigans.