Essence of power?

Mithrandir

Hello there! I was checking for elementals for my dear Sandeep, and I found the Essence of power. Has anyone used it in arcanists? How did it go?

Apparently it's a pure support, but maybe it's worth for a blasting turn for just 4ss + extra ss in the attack. And it can be summoned too... Not sure if it does enough, though.

23 minutes ago, MuMantai said:

Essence of Power is an Enforcer, so it cannot be summoned.

It is a pure support piece, more useful defensively than offensively, and unfortunately not worth it in my opinion. But in a less competative environment, it is a cool and useful (and flavorful) model.

Oops. Right about the enforcer part.

Flavorful for sure! I wonder if they are going to modify it in the next errata.

I actually think it's quite solid and have even considered it OOK. Yes it requires you to bunch up but the whole academic theme is about overlapping auras so I think it plays into that theme just fine. Also since it's aura is a free action, it's not overly difficult getting the model where it needs to be by walking twice.

I don't really know what else you'd expect for a 4ss model but I think it's quite good

• Agree 1

The above, for 4SS it's solid and even to consider OOK. Also mind the Essence of Power benefices from its own aura, when it activates it's close to Df/Wp5 and stat 5 in its attacks (still a bit worse than 5 as it's still stat 4 to decide who cheats first); but the damage of the :ranged isn't bad for a 4 SS model.

For Sandeep is a cheap elemental, even without a Demise that's useful to concentrate to draw cards and stuff. It also boost the defense and ofense of models near of him with both auras, it's not insignificant and it's incorporeal (which helps to move around the map), so it may also score.

Disclaimer that I haven't played academic yet, as I can't get all the models. 

Just reading the card with the rest of the keyword, it feels his empower ability is a bit wasted. I can't see any triggers on Sandeep or his henchmen that look critical enough to be spending a stone on (maybe Kandara, but is she more likely to be using her ranged attack when within the essences aura?). So only useful if you are giving SS cache to an enforcer (as a minion would get empower from the upgrade). 

It's pretty useful for Sandeep's summoning. Obviously you wouldn't gamble on it, but it could very well save a high card in your hand when burning a stone. Also just in general with concealment/manipulative burning a stone to put you on a strait would put you on a positive next to the EOP. Pretty corner case but not all that uncommon. 

You really are taking him for Amplify anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to try it OOK in a Raspy crew, since her and Silent Ones tend to sit pretty far back and don't move too much. A 7 stat Raspy would be excellent for applying long range slows and spamming pillars. Plus a 5 needed for a heal instead of a 6 is never a bad thing! Stats are bad for 5 SS though.