First turn shenanigans? - Molly

Paddywhack

OK, I'm a bit rusty and getting back in after a couple months. I managed to play Molly vs. Ophelia and it was a blast, but I really did not plan my first turn well. So I thought I'd ask people that get to play more - whats the best first turn sequence when playing various masters. First up, Molly.

I know crew builds might vary, but it seems like most of our Masters have a couple of things they like to do to set up on the first turn. With your regular crew, what important steps do you like to do first turn? Does Molly activate early/late, important support pieces actions, important order of activation sequences, etc. 

I know there will always be some variance based on Strat/Scheme, but there are often common factors across most games. Those are what I want to know about. Thanks! 

• Like 1

Most often I want to get activation advantage on turn one. So I start with Crooligans droping scheme markers and focusing and I activate Molly before I activate my beaters. It's most often one reactivation and two draws, as Molly needs to discard to reactivate and to push with bonus action. Nothing special, to be honest.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

So a few things;

• Gravedigger pulse focus (if applicable)
  • Activate minions
  • Crooligans tend to focus and drop a scheme marker
  • Rabble risers move and focus.
  • Necrotic machine redraw trick into accomplice for Molly (if needed).
  • Molly move forward five inches, pulse focus, constructive criticism 1-2 times, lost knowledge if necessary, focus if got a spare action
  • Minions again (rabble risers move and focus, crooligans focus and do anything). Rabble risers should have 4-5 focus.
  • Any non beater, non minions like P&N
  • Dead rider rides with me something (necrotic machine, molly, etc)
  • Necrotic machine if it hasn't activated yet
  • Rest of beaters
  • Archie

Dead rider is quite variable depending on when I need moves.

• Thanks 2

Just now, MajorUndead said:

Interesting, I made a Molly vs Ophelia game yesterday as well, and was wondering how to handle the first turn as well!
Thanks for the insights!

No problem!

One thing I glossed over is the Necrotic Machine redraw trick (and by extension, Molly's activation as well) is one of the most change-able things about the whole sequence. Since it relies entirely on your opponent's discard pile, you don't want to do it when they have 9+s really. Weak cards are great, the lowest moderates are best.

So that takes the most practice (and knowing when not to bother as well).

1 minute ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

No problem!

One thing I glossed over is the Necrotic Machine redraw trick (and by extension, Molly's activation as well) is one of the most change-able things about the whole sequence. Since it relies entirely on your opponent's discard pile, you don't want to do it when they have 9+s really. Weak cards are great, the lowest moderates are best.

So that takes the most practice (and knowing when not to bother as well).

What is the point of doing that action if the top card of the opponent's discard pile is a weak card?
You would have use an action just to make your opponent draw a weak card, and you don't get anything out of it.
Or did I miss something?

Just now, MajorUndead said:

What is the point of doing that action if the top card of the opponent's discard pile is a weak card?
You would have use an action just to make your opponent draw a weak card, and you don't get anything out of it.
Or did I miss something?

So the trick is...

• Necrotic machine uses its activation to put 2+ cards into the opponent's hand
  • Sometimes you cheat fate to succeed the attempt with a low card (like a 4) to get your hand even lower (even if you flip high enough to pass)
  • Accomplice for molly, making her discard a card
  • Molly activates. Your opponent now has a huge hand, and you just discarded/used all your low cards. 
  • Redraw heaps!

So you're spamming out cards to get your hand as low as possible, and get their hand as high as possible, and get heaps of redraws. And since you're accomplicing into Molly, they don't get an activation to burn down their hand.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

So the trick is...

• Necrotic machine uses its activation to put 2+ cards into the opponent's hand
  • Sometimes you cheat fate to succeed the attempt with a low card (like a 4) to get your hand even lower (even if you flip high enough to pass)
  • Accomplice for molly, making her discard a card
  • Molly activates. Your opponent now has a huge hand, and you just discarded/used all your low cards. 
  • Redraw heaps!

So you're spamming out cards to get your hand as low as possible, and get their hand as high as possible, and get heaps of redraws. And since you're accomplicing into Molly, they don't get an activation to burn down their hand.

Oh of course! Why didn't I think of this direct connexion of making them have more card => you get to draw more when Molly activates 😄

Thanks!

• Like 1

Into schemey pools where I want activation control or models up fast I tend to hire 1 to 2 night terrors in addition to crooligans.

Assuming standard, flank or wedge deployment and something like power ritual.

Night Terror (NT) drops a marker, flies toward molly in the center. Should be 4" away from her.

Other start up models of choice activate. 

Molly pulses focus, NT ditches a card, pushes 5 free inches forward. 

Molly reactivates NT, it pitches a card, pushing 5 more inches. Now roughly14 to 16 inches up the board.

NT activates, flies up to 10 more inches, or 5 and drops a bomb or moves an idol.  

Same can be done for a second NT or a crooligan. All case by case specific though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1