Academics and Contrast Paints

I know everyone's probably pretty sick of hearing about these damn paints, but I wanted to try them out on my shamefully large collection of unpainted Malifaux minis.  So Sandeep and friends are getting offered up. 

Here's the big man himself.  This was contrast paints with some dry brushing and highlighting.  Needs a few finishing touches, then a mat varnish to get rid of the shiny bits, but I'm overall pretty happy with how he turned out.  Love the colours Agaros Dunes (used on the gada) and Blood Angels Red. 

Altogether, this was probably 2 and a half hours work, but I was still figuring out how this works, and mistakes were made.

large.1668782978_IMG_03131.JPG.fab2e5110911c05fd64ef812f6eb6b33.JPGlarge.1444487069_IMG_03141.JPG.6c6d1a9042e76d9828447d0a399f5a73.JPG

• Like 8

Looking good @Clockwork_Fish . I picked up a bunch of them this weekend and tried them out on some TTB multiparts I had lying around.  I also enjoyed the bloodangel red.  Additionally I really liked the Talassar Blue (if you want an electric blue) and the warp lightning.  Skeleton horde was also nice for a first wash of old bone.  I was less impressed by the snakebite leather (too yellow for me), the volupus pink (really didnt cover well) and the gryph charger grey (fine, but really needed to slather it on for it to feel more than a wash.

In the end they're not really my painting style, but the do work really well with first pass + some dry brushing.  I can definitely see them used for some quick table ready models in the future.

@muraki They are definitely a ‘where appropriate’ paint.  For instance, I won’t use this for fire effects on Banasuva and Kandara as it does the opposite of fire.  

I also used it on a couple Tohaa minis for Infinity, and found it was fantastic for picking out the details on such fiddly little models.

Kudra’s up next, followed by Metal Gamin.   Got a plan for the little guys.

That makes sense, and the parts on the infinity mini that are painted with the contrast paints look good.  I definitely need to play more to find out where they fit in my painting style.  I have so many new painting tools / toys to play with (color shift paints, a airbrush i'm still breaking in, and these paints), add in the desire to just get better at painting and there's a lot of stuff to try out.  I'm wondering if they'd be good for brighter washes and highlight transitions, I'll have to play a bit.

Here's my quick trial paint job

A2vBiJK.jpg

Greens are warp lightning (with the ghost getting a little drybrushing), blue is Talassar, left vest is gryph charger, right pants are snakebite leather

It's funny, after painting them I was 'these freaking stink!' but now that they've been sitting on my paint table for a day I'm starting to get into the 'eh, if i just cleaned em up a bit, they'd be fine'

One thing I did find out, if you spill some of it on you and don't clean it up fast, it gets super sticky / hard to remove compared to regular paint, haha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Here's WIP Kudra.  Was hoping to have more done by now, but real life got in the way.  Turns out that when a billion people swarm Toronto your commute home from work can be unexpectedly delayed!  😐

Incidentally, skin tones were done by basing those areas in Cadian Fleshtone, then going over it with Guilliman Flesh contrast paint.

large.1442310655_IMG_03191.JPG.a90dc4f80e35c706ee0e575cf8af98f6.JPG

• Like 2

Had a hard time getting the right lighting to show this guy.  Had to take it outside.  Admit to not being very good at photos.  This was Basilicanum Grey, then Magos Purple after it dried.  Then more Basilicanum, then MORE Magos.  Lightly drybrushed with a bit of grey, which for some reason shows up the photo like I frosted the damn thing.

I like how the contrast paints blend together.  Someone more talented than me could probably pull off some really cool colour transitions with it.

large.923392565_IMG_03251.JPG.d0f482846080724db0b142e5422d8256.JPG

• Like 2

The basic fleshtones they give you are good for what you get, but if you just paint them onto the recommended base paints you get several different shades of white people.  However, if you paint the contrast flesh colours onto other traditional flesh colours you get a really nice dark skin, a lot better than some more traditional painting methods.  Going to try painting Neil Henry once I'm done this crew by painting him light brown, then going over with contrast, to see if I can get him dark enough.

More generally, I'm finding that the recommended base paints kind of limit what you can do.  I'm currently trying to make the black work a little better by basecoating a Batman mini in GW Thunderhawk Blue.  Then I'll go over it with Templar Black contrast.  You either die a hero, or live long enough to become  some nerd's painting labrat!

• Like 1

WIP Shastar Vidiya Guard.  I was worried that I wouldn't like the yellow, that it'd be like Magos Purple, and be a really washed out colour with minimal pigment.  I was pleasantly surprised with how rich the colour was.  I normally hate painting yellow, so this is getting used a lot. 

And yes, I'm going full Power Rangers with this crew, so green is next.

large.2057802526_IMG_03321.JPG.91116bd70cff89a606356451b7dd7937.JPGlarge.835927870_IMG_03331.JPG.18f50b441132a73aeb8f830ada75ea85.JPG

• Like 3

Finished Oxfordian Mage #2 (don't really need three anymore, so the last can stay in the box).  Aethermatic Blue is great, even if it's not quite a blue.

large.285535479_IMG_03361.JPG.4b3cee9f999209bdce037d15eae08462.JPG

Also Kandara.  Needs a bit more work, but I liked how the hair turned out.  Wanted to try a kind of 'sunset' thing, where I did the hair in successive layers from yellow, to orange, to purple.

large.881654624_IMG_03351.JPG.0c153bb495e9fa5264df80cb0e702aef.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sol_Sorrowsong said:

The contrast paint skintone seems perfect for these, I might need to pick up a pot myself.  I love the hair on kandara! Wow!  Did you use contrasts on her skin too? Are the arm and leg bands snakebite?

Everything on this was contrast.  Skin was a thinned down Talassar Blue.  I tried using it straight from the pot, but found there wasn't enough detail on the skin to make that work, so thinned it down bit and it worked fine.  I'm finding that Contrast Medium is the solution to a lot of the problems I've had with the stuff so far.  The darker colours work poorly on larger, flatter, less detailed surfaces, and work as intended on small, detailed things.  Templar Black, as the darkest of all, is great on things like guns but has been giving me grief trying to paint  Batman mini (he just came out of the Simple Green).  I'm thinking multiple thin coats will be the answer for Mr Wayne.

As for the arm and leg bands, those were an experiment.  I painted them using a light yellow, then went over with Agaros Dunes.  Then added a few highlights.  Turned out okay.

The hair was done by laying down pure contrast medium onto the hair, then adding a new colour while it was still wet.  Did that over a progressively smaller area with progressively darker paints.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...