Watchers out of keyword

Ludvig

Watchers are pretty damn fast and my local tables are usually cluttered with terrain. I'm considering hiring these out of keyword despite the tax.

I've mainly thought about Sonnia, Perdita and Dashel so far. Dashel can probably make do with hounds or summons unless you're fighting in a thick forest. The two ladies don't seem to have phenomenal scheme runners in theme so the watcher might be justified there. Is a watcher or two an insane pick considering their tax would be 25%? Would you just run another master with a table/pool where a watcher or two might be worth it?

Not sure on the other masters but feel free to let us all know if you think you could squeeze a watcher into another theme.

10 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

Watchers are pretty damn fast and my local tables are usually cluttered with terrain. I'm considering hiring these out of keyword despite the tax.

I've mainly thought about Sonnia, Perdita and Dashel so far. Dashel can probably make do with hounds or summons unless you're fighting in a thick forest. The two ladies don't seem to have phenomenal scheme runners in theme so the watcher might be justified there. Is a watcher or two an insane pick considering their tax would be 25%? Would you just run another master with a table/pool where a watcher or two might be worth it?

Not sure on the other masters but feel free to let us all know if you think you could squeeze a watcher into another theme.

They do tend to be generically good picks.

For Plant Explosives, they're awesome. For Corrupted Idols, they can rush places others can't.

And for Schemes, it'd have to be lacking Breakthrough, Search the Ruins, Power Ritual or Outflank, to not consider taking at least one.

And while Take Prisoner, Hold their Forces, Deliver a Message and Claim Jump can probably be done better or at least the same, Watchers aren't a slouch in that arena either.

Cheap survivable flight is just straight awesome.

• Like 1

Watchers are really great at their price, and I enjoy giving them fast with Hoffman. But with Sonnia I do prefer totem, since it has losf insignificant, has incorporeal and can make additional move with bonus action.

Watcher needed in that crew, where we don't have great in-keyword schemerunners. I'd take it for Basse (as his crew loves terrain and watchers can ignore it), for Dita (dislike pistolyero and their reckless for scheming) and etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

I like them, though I'm sad they don't get to use the 2"self push.  I am incredibly concerned about the efficiency of adding a 25%tax on them.

I meant the out of faction hire cost. 

Can anyone tell me the date stamp on the latest beta files BTW? I sometimes feel like I don't have the same cards as others. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 5:21 PM, 4thstringer said:

I like them, though I'm sad they don't get to use the 2"self push.  I am incredibly concerned about the efficiency of adding a 25%tax on them.

I don't really look at the % tax of a model. I add the as to their cost and simply look at the new cost and ask myself if I would pay that for that model in that crew and what that would be replacing.

• Agree 3

The thought of using them with Perdy and Sonnia came from not owning monster hunters, pistoleros or spellcasters so watchers are pretty much the only scheme runners I have the option of using at the moment. I managed to find a couple of old gunsmiths that I'll be proxying for monster hunters so I might get to play some Perdita this edition. Sonnia is probably just retiring to the shelf since I can barely put together a crew for her.