Titan Mania

Fenriel

Interesting 2 commander game versus cult last evening. I really just wanted to try my new models, but it turned out to be pretty tough against cult.

Objective Scavenge

Commander - Kassa & Unathi 

Thrace

Cutter & Walker teams

Electrocutioners

Dreadnaught

Engineers mixed in

CrowRunners summoned Turn 3 with behind enemy lines. 

keep the commanders back and using them to add tokens, take extra prototype actions & regular actions can be pretty ugly. Cutter versus Rhinos = dead rhinos.

Very elite setup but more effective than I expected it to be.  ECB and breachling could both do damage, but never enough that I couldn't recover during upkeep or keeping a crow back for unathi's reinforce.

Anyone else have a titan setup that works out well? 

My opponent didn’t put toughness on the rhinos this go around. I think I caught one rhino pre glory and one after. I kept a high tome back in case. It was his first time seeing the cutters so I doubt he will make the mistake again. 

The walkers ability to add a suit for every margin +2 lends itself to easy card draw. And he shot quite a bit between Kansa and Thrace. 

4 hours ago, Fenriel said:

My opponent didn’t put toughness on the rhinos this go around. I think I caught one rhino pre glory and one after. I kept a high tome back in case. It was his first time seeing the cutters so I doubt he will make the mistake again. 

The walkers ability to add a suit for every margin +2 lends itself to easy card draw. And he shot quite a bit between Kansa and Thrace. 

Ok, no toughness is a no go on them 😛

Thrace can't command the Walker robot to fire though.

7 hours ago, Tris said:

Ok, no toughness is a no go on them 😛

Ugh. Didn’t catch that. She has to target a squad keyword which is on the non walker units. Although she could get them to fire more tracer rounds so the walkers  av is high I think.

On 3/23/2019 at 10:36 AM, Tris said:

The Combined Arms Fireteam from Mechanized Infantry?

Why not?

She commands the squad, with the only limitation that it be a Squad with at least one Fireteam in that 8" range, and that Squad takes a :ToS-Range: action. Mechanized Infantry is a Squad (keywords on its card), and per the rules the Combined Arms (Walker) is a Fireteam in that Squad for all intents and purposes other than using the stats on its own card and not the base Squad stats. Page 11 of the PDF:

During the game, the Combined Arms Fireteam uses the Acting Values, Abilities, Actions, and Fireteam size listed on its special Unit Card, rather than the information listed on the normal Unit Card. In all other ways, it functions as a normal Fireteam in the unit it came with (including Activations, Orders, etc.).

• Agree 1

Interestingly enough the only place in the rulebook that uses Squad Fireteam(s) is under the Champion rule.

This verbiage for Combined Arms Fireteams:

"... In all other ways, it functions as a normal Fireteam in the unit it came with (including Activations, Orders, etc.)."

I think  FAQ 9: Has some verbiage that is just as prevalent to this discussion topic. I have bolded a portion of it that I would like to call attention to for the purpose of this discussion:

FAQ 9. Does a Combined Arms Fireteam attached to a Squad unit have to follow Formation?
a. Yes, a Combined Arms Fireteam attached to a Squad unit must follow Formation as they are a Fireteam within the Squad unit (but are not Squad Fireteams themselves).

For Reference Tharce's Fire at Will states:

Target Squad with at least one Fireteam in range takes a :ToS-Range: Action. If the Squad has the  Guild Allegiance, it gains +2 AV for the Action.

It seems as thought Squad Fireteam and Fireteam (with)in a Squad are not the same thing. As Tharce does not state Squad Fireteam I would lean towards her being able to have the Combined Arms fireteam take the action.

I think this interaction is absolutely FAQ-Worthy. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, necroon said:

Interestingly enough the only place in the rulebook that uses Squad Fireteam(s) is under the Champion rule.

[...]

It seems as thought Squad Fireteam and Fireteam (with)in a Squad are not the same thing. As Thrace does not state Squad Fireteam I would lean towards her being able to have the Combined Arms fireteam take the action.

I think this interaction is absolutely FAQ-Worthy. 

Hence my asking why not.

The Squad Fireteam clarification seems to be for the purpose of making it so that a Champion cannot get a "look out sir/ma'am" save from a Combined Arms Titan, which makes sense as having a Titan leap in the way of an incoming shot isn't nearly as feasible as a normal Squad member. It's also the only area that uses that specific phrase.

Interpreting it to mean that a Combined Arms Titan cannot take an Action for the Squad as the result of something that says "Squad takes an Action" or "a Fireteam in Squad takes an Action" feels like a stretch, especially since the core rules outright state that the Combined Arms Titan is a Fireteam in the Squad.

Perhaps a clarification on the difference between Squad Fireteam and Fireteam (with)in a Squad should come up, with Squad Fireteam being the base Fireteam(s) for a Squad, as well as an explanation as to why these two are different. The current implications raise more questions than they resolve.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, spooky_squirrel said:

Hence my asking why not.

The Squad Fireteam clarification seems to be for the purpose of making it so that a Champion cannot get a "look out sir/ma'am" save from a Combined Arms Titan, which makes sense as having a Titan leap in the way of an incoming shot isn't nearly as feasible as a normal Squad member. It's also the only area that uses that specific phrase.

Interpreting it to mean that a Combined Arms Titan cannot take an Action for the Squad as the result of something that says "Squad takes an Action" of "a Fireteam in Squad takes an Action" feels like a stretch, especially since the core rules outright state that the Combined Arms Titan is a Fireteam in the Squad.

Agreed on all points. It is admittedly a fuzzy interaction, so hopefully regardless of the intent we will see an FAQ on it. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 10:47 PM, Tris said:

I would still say she can't command him as the walker is not a Squad, just to be sure though.

She's commanding the Mechanized Infantry Squad, whose player selects a Fireteam to perform the action. Valid Fireteams--barring an FAQ/errata entry that partially unwinds the core rules assertion that the Combined Arms Fireteam is a Fireteam within that Squad for all intents and purposes other than its own stats and abilities, and as clarified in a FAQ already: look out, sir/ma'am "saves" for Champions --include the Combined Arms Fireteam.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1