Lord of Steel - Open Wound trigger

ArcticPangolin

Question

The trigger on Lord of Steel's Spear of Ages reads thusly:

:ram Open Wound: Immediately increase the Strength of this Action by +1 per :ram in the final duel total.

When not in Glory, there is no suit built-in to the stat of the Spear of Ages attack. When in Glory, there is one :ram.

The wording on using suits for triggers is listed as below in the rulebook:

When a player declares a Trigger, they spend the indicated suit(s) or Margin Values from their final duel total. Spent suits are removed from the final duel total...

Therefore, unless you are getting at least 2 :ram, there is no benefit from this trigger. The Machinations Stratagem is the only way I can find to gain another :ramfrom other models or abilities that I am aware of. So the trigger is otherwise wasted text when not in Glory, and requires you to flip/cheat a :ramwhen in Glory, aside from playing the Machinations Stratagem.

Would this be correct?

Strength 5 is still great but if the above is true, I'm not really sure why they wasted the space on the card when not in Glory just to cover for if i) Machinations is taken, purchased and played AND ii) Part of the Plan is used to gain a :ramAND iii) a :ramcard is used for the attack. Most of the time I would prefer to use the extra Morale action for each unit granted by Machinations for another Take To The Sky, or for an Interact action.

3 answers to this question

On 3/11/2019 at 6:41 AM, ArcticPangolin said:

The wording on using suits for triggers is listed as below in the rulebook:

When a player declares a Trigger, they spend the indicated suit(s) or Margin Values from their final duel total. Spent suits are removed from the final duel total...

Therefore, unless you are getting at least 2 :ram, there is no benefit from this trigger. The Machinations Stratagem is the only way I can find to gain another :ramfrom other models or abilities that I am aware of. So the trigger is otherwise wasted text when not in Glory, and requires you to flip/cheat a :ramwhen in Glory, aside from playing the Machinations Stratagem.

Would this be correct?

Yeah, no.  Good catch on the wording problem, but no.  That'd be a case of Kickstarter Playtest Syndrome or whatever you want to call it, people not noticing that the rulebook doesn't match the trigger semantics.

Because the South Wales Borderers have the same issue without any way I can see of getting more than one Ram:

:ToS-Melee: Steam-Powered Fists (5 v Df | 2"): Strength 2.

:ToS-Ram: Open Wound: Immediately increase the Strength of this Action by +1 per :ToS-Ram: in the final duel total.

That clearly doesn't work right if you follow the instructions in the rulebook to remove the ram that you used for the duel total from the final duel total.  When you declare the trigger, you're supposed to get +1 Strength if you have one ram in the duel total, or +1 if you've got two.  But you have to dedicate the rams to the trigger for it to work.

They really should just listed the trigger as ":ToS-Ram: Open Wound: Immediately increase the Strength of this Action by +1.  This trigger can be declared more than once." or something similar.  That's basically how I presume people are going to play it.

Edit:  Because I'm getting notifications on this post, I do need to point out that the South Wales Bordererererers do have their build in ability which gives them +2:ToS-Ram: to their AVs, which includes the AV for Steam-Powered Fists.

But I still think that what happened was the Trigger got written to work like Accuracy from Malifaux, and then simply never rewritten to work properly with the TOS trigger mechanics.  

• Agree 2