Coordinated Strike

GrAYFoX

Question

8 answers to this question

I wasn’t thinking about the consequences of the initiative system when I replied earlier.

In a two player game, Initiative goes to the player who did not Activate last.  If you have Initiative, that means that the other player has activated a unit since you last did.  (In the case where you’ve wiped the other player’s units off the table, if you’re no longer being able to do Coordinated Strikes I don’t think it’s a big deal.  The only thing breaking up your activations is going to be the occasional summoning stratagem, anyway.  )  So a Coordinated Strike at the start of the turn should be just fine if there’s anything left of the other player’s unit, and if there isn’t you don’t have any business complaining that you can’t.  😛 

At the start of the game, you’re counting from “never”, so a Coordinated Strike at the start of turn one should be fine as well.  Probably.  :) 

In a multiplayer game, Initiative is random enough that the first player to activate may also be the last player to activate.  In that case, a chain activation wouldn’t be allowed because that’s too many since the other players’ last activation.  As long as the player with Initiative wasn’t the last player to activate a unit, they should be able to do a Coordinated Strike after their first Activation.

So I don’t think the rules need to have the complication of “resetting” the count at the start of each turn and we can just take the rule at face value.  In those rare cases where a player activated last in the previous turn and then activated first in the current turn, they shouldn’t get to make a Coordinated Strike anyway.  But usually that’s not the case and it’ll be allowed to make one.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, retnab said:

You can do a Coordinated Strike after the first activation in the turn, yes

I have reservations about this conclusion.

If you have only Activated one unit since your opponent's last Activation, you may choose to Activate another unit.

While it seems like it would be reasonable to read that in the context of "this turn", there's an equal case that it's not.  Is there public evidence that Chain Activation should be read

If you have only Activated one unit since your opponent's last Activation or the start of the turn, you may choose to Activate another unit.

?

There also appears to be an easy to overlook interaction:

• Player A activates a unit
  • Player B passes
  • Player A activates a unit.
    • Player A cannot perform a Coordinated Strike now because they've activated more than one unit since B's last activation.

2 hours ago, solkan said:

I have reservations about this conclusion.

While it seems like it would be reasonable to read that in the context of "this turn", there's an equal case that it's not.  Is there public evidence that Chain Activation should be read

?

There also appears to be an easy to overlook interaction:

• Player A activates a unit
  • Player B passes
  • Player A activates a unit.
    • Player A cannot perform a Coordinated Strike now because they've activated more than one unit since B's last activation.

This is how I understand it as well.

OK, this kond of got jumbled to me. My interpretation is that at the start of the turn since no enemy model has activated, then np coordinated strike is allowed. If there is no break in turns than that means only the first activation of the first turn can strictly not do a coordinated strike. I can see how activation cruteria could carry over between turns since the rule doesn't state anything about turn, but it does create a clunky scenario in my mind.

11 hours ago, Razhem said:

OK, this kond of got jumbled to me. My interpretation is that at the start of the turn since no enemy model has activated, then np coordinated strike is allowed. If there is no break in turns than that means only the first activation of the first turn can strictly not do a coordinated strike. I can see how activation cruteria could carry over between turns since the rule doesn't state anything about turn, but it does create a clunky scenario in my mind.

It's avoided because the first company to act in a two player game at the beginning of a turn is the company that did not have the last activation in the previous turn. So there's no need to worry about carry-over from the previous turn.

No clunk to worry about in that scenario.

7 hours ago, spooky_squirrel said:

It's avoided because the first company to act in a two player game at the beginning of a turn is the company that did not have the last activation in the previous turn. So there's no need to worry about carry-over from the previous turn.

No clunk to worry about in that scenario.

And first activation of first turn?