The Other Side - Foam and Travel Cases

FatalEcho

Hey everyone,

First time posting here, so hope that I do it right.

Wondering if anyone here has good recommendations for how to best store/transport these awesome miniatures I've received. I'm pretty darn new to the miniatures war-game hobby and I know there's good options for storing/transporting your miniatures in foam and foam containers/bags like Battle Foam.

Wondering especially if there's any good pluck foam options for these "irregularly" shaped miniatures. Any recommendations? I know WH/WH40k have pretty consistent size/shape/sculpts for space marines, but in my (noob) opinion these TOS minis are more diverse in shape/sculpt with plenty of weaker bases (1-legged sculpts for cavalry, infantry, etc.).  I also wonder how to shape/pluck the foam for minis with (large) bases but smaller/narrower sculpts.

Any recommendations for how to best measure these minis to know how much to pluck out (for pluck foam), carve out (for manually carved holes) or boxed out (for pre-shaped squares and rectangles)?

I'm still gluing bases on to my 4 Alliances, but now that I'm finishing up I'm wondering how to best care for, transport and store these cool little investments. Planning was limited, haha.

Recommendations by experts or experienced miniatures collectors is always appreciated!

As stated already, magnets are the way to go. I'm partial to TableWar myself, but they are a bit on the pricier side. The only snag at the moment I've found for ToS specifically is finding a good method of magnetizing both the minis themselves AND the fireteam trays, i.e. so the models can hang out in the fireteam trays and still be transported safely. Apart from adding magnets to the mini bases and attaching thin metal circular "sheets" to the trays' slots, I can't think of an easier way at the moment to pull it off. Washers maybe?

With wide bases and thin, fiddly miniatures and pluck foam: hollow out an area that will hold the figure snugly inverted, with the base sitting on top of the foam. This will work with the models that aren't overly tall.

That said, looking at the shape and size of the titans, the bits that hang over the bases, and the dynamic poses, I would recommend something like magnets or slotted slide-in tray set up (one of the people at my LGS has a clear plastic display-type case he uses for Malifaux that holds the edges of the models' bases down) that will hold the base steady.

8 minutes ago, nomadicXnightmare said:

As stated already, magnets are the way to go. I'm partial to TableWar myself, but they are a bit on the pricier side. The only snag at the moment I've found for ToS specifically is finding a good method of magnetizing both the minis themselves AND the fireteam trays, i.e. so the models can hang out in the fireteam trays and still be transported safely. Apart from adding magnets to the mini bases and attaching thin metal circular "sheets" to the trays' slots, I can't think of an easier way at the moment to pull it off. Washers maybe?

I'm wondering if you slap a metal washer or another magnet under the slot in the fireteam base, you'll have enough power to secure the whole thing to a sheet while still being weak enough that you can get the model out of the fireteam base.  That's my current (hypothetical) plan anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clement said:

I'm wondering if you slap a metal washer or another magnet under the slot in the fireteam base, you'll have enough power to secure the whole thing to a sheet while still being weak enough that you can get the model out of the fireteam base.  That's my current (hypothetical) plan anyway.

It's a good plan - certainly not worse then my initials thoughts. Guess I'll be conducting some magnet configuration experiments in the near future!