Zipping along on another terrain board (ish): Zeppelin!

Brandu

I got this some time back from Crossover Miniatures’ Kickstarter and had told myself I would only work on it when the other terrain projects I had going were finished. If you have never looked at any of their airships, I highly recommend them. 

Well, now it’s time. and, at 73 inches long, while it’s not really usable as a terrain board outside of a demo, it will be perfect for Through the Breach and other random craziness. Hmmm... I could run two demos at a time on the 

The model is intimidating at first, but is so well produced that it is turning out to be much easier to build than I thought it would. Kitbashing will occur, and Malifaux references will be found.

Bow first (fitting, that): 17" long, 18" at widest part. After assembly the frame was base painted black, and then wet-brushed with metallic gunmetal. The flooring is straight MDF with Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut. The production quality of this is awesome. 

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=85364;image

"Bigger?"

"Yeah, Bigger. I want a bigger Zippelin! It needs to be as big as my fearsome reputation! Luckily for me (and luckier for you), I have found one suitable to host my fabulously fearsome fighting force. Honest Rusti's Used Zeppelin Shop will take this one, on a trade in. Make sure you strip everything out of this one before we trade out."

"Everything?"

"Yes, EVERYTHING"

• Like 6

I dont know about it not being a playable board. The length is long enough to compensate for the thinner width. Plus if you include plenty of LOS blocking, cover providing, and movement inhibiting terrain elements it shouldn't even be disadvantageous to melee or range oriented crews. Hell you could even add some themey sky crane terrain elements or rules that allow crews to compensate for the increased length by aiding movement (randomly of course).

I am looking forward to this one for sure.

This extremely awesome. 

If you wanted to use it for malifaux you could centre it on the table and rule the bow and stern (probably misusing those) as off limits using crates or something to block access. Then you could fill in the rest of the board with gangways and ladders or what have you to make vertical movement easy and set it up like a dry-dock.

Regardless I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thank you all for the kind words. 

More of the build in progress notes: First picture is a close up of the added-on piece. Fitting to a sloped surface has it's own set of issues that have to be overcome and dry fitting is your friend. Skinning the airship: Dry fitting IS your friend. So are small clamps from Harbor Freight. If you're ever doing some scratch building and must have a right angle, Lego's are also your friend, they make for an excellent jig.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=85451;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=85453;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=85455;image

• Like 4

Whew, the bow is done. Complete. Three Four more sections to go. The minis are there to show the true size of this thing. The few furnishings seen are just the start of how it will look when fully kitted out.  

The last picture is a possible answer to what the "secret weapon" could be. A word of warning though, to those wandering the decks of the airship: Don't blink.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=85460;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=85466;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=85464;image

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

This is a really cool idea, I will have to agree with you about it only being for demos as it poses a problem when determining 'corners' for certain schemes and strategies. You could however write some house rules to get around this though..

Can't wait to see the finished product!

On to the Passenger Section.
I'm cutting loose on this one. A lot of things have to be done prior to assembly: The staterooms have to be laid out with wallpaper, the dinning room/meeting room has to be wallpapered and maps made fit for hanging on the walls. The outsides of the two compartments and the two tops of the rooms are going to be fitted with wood "paneling". 1:48 dollhouse furniture was ordered off of ebay. Again, the flooring sections are being done with Minwax Polyshades Walnut (had an issue with one of the walkways, unfortunately). 

I decided on railings to go on the compartment roofs, making them a further usable gaming surface that fit in, and then I had the notion to up it another step and make sliding doors for the staterooms. Two pieces of plastic C-channel and the mdf cast offs from the 'sprue" will make for usable sliding doors. I'm using seed-beads as doorknobs, which have the added benefit of not allowing the doors to open too far.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=85874;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=85876;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=85878;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=85880;image

• Like 4

Speed build on the Cargo Section: As per usual, the wooden decks are done with Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut. The frame was built, base coated black and then drybrushed in Gunmetal Grey. The bomb-bay doors do open up. According to the rules, Zipp has a tendency to drop pianos on opponents with his "Hovering Airship" upgrade.  I loved the idea of that, so a Piano model was mandatory. Then I had the thought to take it to the next level: MAD (Multi Anvil Deployment). I scratch-built the bomb rack out of pvc pieces and custom fit the rails to hold the anvils. And the Stuffed Piglet. Puts a new spin on "Bacon Bomb"....

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=86555;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=86557;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=86559;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=111846.0;attach=86561;image

• Like 2
  • Haha 1