Which of these should I buy?

Scatterbrain

So I've got my name down for the painting challenge, but I don't currently own any Malifaux miniatures. (I have limited agricultural experience, so I think putting the cart before the horse is going to yield good results. :P)

I went to the only store nearby that I know stocks a few Malifaux miniatures today to view the range, but I can't get anything for another two days, leaving me time to think about which choice to make, and ask for a bit of opinion to guide me.

The store keeps a limited range because they explained they mostly just order in whatever specific players want on a week by week basis, they don't get a lot of sales straight from the shelves. That appeared to be true as they had several out of production Masters boxes and other older edition miniatures I had never seen in my recent Malifaux research with thick layers of dust on them.

I need to paint miniatures of at least 1-5ss value for the competition, but I don't mind painting something worth much more. I'm going to play Arcanists but specifically want to get into Marcus so I'll have anything with the Beast characteristic available for use at some point.

My options are (in Australian dollars, at retail store marked-up prices): 

• box of 3 Union Miners $31
  • the current MS&U Ramos Master Box $62
  • older out of production Marcus Box $47 (Myranda, Razorspine Rattler and Sabertooth Cerberus but no Jackalope or Cojo)
  • older Spawn Mother individual model $41 (does not include Gupps)
  • the Sow $22

I've already ruled out the older Ramos by himself miniature and also Cojo by himself. By the same logic I'm leaning away from the older Marcus box, because I may as well get Jackalope and Cojo at the same time.

The current MS&U Ramos Box may seem like an obvious choice, only, I'm sorry, but I don't love the miniatures. They might be awesome in the game, but they don't appeal to me aesthetically whatsoever. If you think Ramos is an amazing first Master for a complete beginner, please try to change my mind! It'd certainly make good practical and monetary sense to simply paint one miniature from the box each month for the next 5 months to hit my soulstone goal.

Who likes Miners? One a month for the next 3 months also hits my soulstone goal, but that's a bit boring.

Who likes the Sow? It's the cheapest option and fairly straightforward to paint, but I'll have to invest in Piglets too eventually in order to field it.

Just FYI, paints are no object, I have any and every colour available that I might need for any of the options. That wasn't a boast because I'm actually not very good at using them. ;)

7 hours ago, Scatterbrain said:

.... of at least 1-5ss value ...

Is that a typo? Is it supposed to be 15SS?

Union Miners are decent models with some cool tricks for scoring when scheme markers are needed. You probably won''t ever use all three at once (which is true of most things that Wyrd sells in 3 packs). It's one of your cheaper options and gives you a tool that can probably find some use in most Arcanist masters crews.

I'd tell anyone getting into Arcanists to consider picking up the Ramos box, even if they didn't want to play Ramos. Joss and Howard see a lot of use with the other masters and the Steam Arachnids are decent little 4 point scheme runners. The Ramos crew box is a good addition to any other Arcanist master's box. 

The problem I see with buying the old Marcus box is that it's the only place that you can get the Jackalope, which is a nice totem for him. If your local community is cool with proxies this might not be a big problem.

The Spawn Mother really needs Gupps to be useful so you're probably better off getting the Amphibious Assault box.

You don't see Marcus take pigs very often because a lot of them are forced to make a charge unless they are engaged or near a gremlin. If there are no enemy models that are legal charge targets they need to charge a friendly one. The Sow doesn't have that particular issue but the Piglets she summons do. 

1 hour ago, Flinroz said:

I personally can't stand the plastic Myranda sculpt, I'm going to go for the metals when I get around to picking up Marcus.

You want everything in the Marcus box other than Marcus and the Jackalope, don't you? Because sometimes PigMourning wants something other than pork.

If you do go on to play the game (with Arcanists) you will need some or most of the contents of the Ramos box at some point, so you may as well get it now.

If you really can't stand the sculpts I'd second the idea of asking your FLGS to get in a new Marcus box for you.

Anything else you are just painting one Miner that you might go on to use occasionally, and a handful of random other models you will rarely if ever use simply in order to take part in the painting event.

On 04/01/2018 at 6:21 AM, Flinroz said:

I personally can't stand the plastic Myranda sculpt, I'm going to go for the metals when I get around to picking up Marcus.

If you want an OOP NIB Marcus box containing the old Myranda sculpt, I know where one is, with an authentic layer of dust to prove its provenance. ;) 

25 minutes ago, Scatterbrain said:

If you want an OOP NIB Marcus box containing the old Myranda sculpt, I know where one is, with an authentic layer of dust to prove its provenance. ;) 

Haha, I'll pass. I feel the Thunders calling me next.

I have a store nearby that has a few in stock when I get around to it, and it'll save me the horror that is US-AUS shipping rates :huh:

19 minutes ago, Flinroz said:

I have a store nearby that has a few in stock when I get around to it, and it'll save me the horror that is US-AUS shipping rates :huh:

At least you get the better end of the currency exchange rate! :PTrust me, it's not fun the other way around. :lol:

I had no idea how rare they would be, NIB. Maybe I'm not sitting on the lucrative goldmine of out of production Malifaux miniatures in my backyard that I first thought...? :(

5 minutes ago, Scatterbrain said:

I had no idea how rare they would be, NIB. Maybe I'm not sitting on the lucrative goldmine of out of production Malifaux miniatures in my backyard that I first thought...? :(

They are pretty hard to find. The store near me is small and just happens to have a lot of old metals. I do remember last year MiniaturesMarket had a clearance sale and several metal Marcus boxes were available. 

I'm sure as soon as I decide to get one they'll be nowhere to find.

As far as your original question about the Sow. I'm a fan, as a gremlin player. Marcus has the ability to lower enemy's WP, which could work well with her terrifying ability. Be forewarned though, I'm also the guy planning to play PigMourning, so don't blame me if it turns out to be a dumb idea. :P

• Like 1

I bought a whole bunch of metal models back when Cool Mini Or Not were clearing their shelves at little more than cost. I even got free shipping for a substantial box to New Zealand, which I'm still a little embarrassed by.

I like Masters who kind of break the mold for their faction. Leveticus, Marcus, a bit iffy on Zoraida, and definitely the new Doc McMourning with his beasts and academics. Scorpius is very nice with all the poison shenanigans McMourning loves.

With the reduction in points that some beasts received in the latest errata, Marcus may become a bit stronger, or at least be able to squeeze in another model. Remember a Raptor to make your non-beasts into beasts.