Must Haves and never use.....

generalbear

32 minutes ago, Jordon said:

It's basically a 2ss activation. Judging by how the Rats and Stuffed Piglets have both gotten errata'd for just being cheap activations I can see how being 2ss is basically it's only claim to flame. Now this is only 1 non-spammable model so it doesn't have the same impact but there is at least some merit to having a very cheap activation. Otherwise I just use it as a slight road bump to block charges and occasionally heal. It doesn't really do much else. However it still does more than Mouse who is 2ss more expensive

The Flaming Detonation ability could be useful. In a Purifying Flame build it can get your models some healing without making them wait until the end of the turn.

What models are even immune to the burning condition? Looking through books 1-4 this is all I came up with:

Ashes and Dust (and it's component models)
Blood Ward 
Clockwork Trap
Earl Burns
Lenny
Shang
Emberling
Monk of Low River

2 hours ago, WWHSD said:

The Flaming Detonation ability could be useful. In a Purifying Flame build it can get your models some healing without making them wait until the end of the turn.

What models are even immune to the burning condition? Looking through books 1-4 this is all I came up with:

Ashes and Dust (and it's component models)
Blood Ward 
Clockwork Trap
Earl Burns
Lenny
Shang
Emberling
Monk of Low River

Well Fire Gamin are actually one of those models as well. If your running purifying fire then the gamin can't actually heal since they cannot suffer damage from burning. This allows them to suffer damage - thus healing them. It's incredibly corner case but it's more likely than having it affect an enemy model.

For me the biggest crime the eternal flame commits is being dreadfully boring. It basically just walks and occasionally heals something. It barely works with her mechanic and as others have said, the child offers much more. I would much rather pay more and have this model actually do something interesting. At 2ss you can't expect much, but a totem should be more interesting than this.

Must have-

Wind Gamin-even having had their ability to ruin an opponent's strategy points reigned in, still the most all-round useful cheap minion I have, and unlike others not dependant on supporting specific models. Speed, flight and leap make them efficient scheme runners, and against the right targets can do good damage.

Shastar Vidaya Guard-since I got them, have been capably filling a formerly missing role of 'solid damage dealer that isn't horribly expensive', while also providing useful 2" pushes and card draw for cheating defence. I particularly like them with Kaeris who can set them on fire with a defence duel to enable thier card draw mechanic, but I'm thinking they might also gain a lot from copying Sandeep's actions.

Nearly (but not quite) must have-

Silent One-Solid ranged damage that ignores cover and engagement, and a useful heal make it an amazing support piece, but slow speed and fragility

Arcane effigy-is the only genuinely resilient minion in the faction, but I get aggravated with how little it does without conditions to remove

Never take-

Sabertooth Cerberus-A glass hammer which dies a lot more reliably than it kills things. Where it's killing power depends on a suited trigger and plus flips that it loses when it takes wounds, it's defence is much more simply non existant.

Hoarcat pride-just feels mediocre at everything, with a lot of abilities that just don't quite fit together into a coherent skill set.

39 minutes ago, Jordon said:

Well Fire Gamin are actually one of those models as well. If your running purifying fire then the gamin can't actually heal since they cannot suffer damage from burning. This allows them to suffer damage - thus healing them. It's incredibly corner case but it's more likely than having it affect an enemy model.

For me the biggest crime the eternal flame commits is being dreadfully boring. It basically just walks and occasionally heals something. It barely works with her mechanic and as others have said, the child

That's what I thought at first. Maybe it was intended to let Fire Gamin benefit from Grab and Drop or Purifying Flame. But when I checked the  Fire Gamin card I saw that are not immune to the burning condition. They just take 0 damage from when the condition deals damage. Grab and Drop would work on them normally but Purifying Flame never will.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

That's what I thought at first. Maybe it was intended to let Fire Gamin benefit from Grab and Drop or Purifying Flame. But when I checked the  Fire Gamin card I saw that are not immune to the burning condition. They just take 0 damage from when the condition deals damage. Grab and Drop would work on them normally but Purifying Flame never will.

Hmmm, yeah after re-reading it, I think your right. They are not technically "immune" to burning, just the damage. It's certainly a rocky area and one could argue immunity to the effect is still immunity but RAW I think they cannot benefit from the heal. Oh well...

Well now it's uses went from slim to barely existent. It's a good thing I hardly every used it that way...

12 hours ago, WWHSD said:

To be fair, if Carlos is tanky at all he's 10 points unless you are bringing Colette. 

Like I said, I don't have many beasts outside of Marcus's box and my Cerberus is reserved for Myranda so that may influence my opinion. I don't think he's a bad model but I can accept that there's usually something else that can fill the same spot either better or cheaper. 

I've been giving the bear some thought. It seems like it might be decent in a Rasputina crew (I've never played or played against her so this is all theory). 

For 8 points you get a Ht 3 50mm model that can position itself in front of Rasputina and use his bearhug to pull models away from her. He's immune to the damage from Raputina's blasts and exploding Ice Gamin and Golems. If the Wendigo or Rasputina make him a Frozen Heart model he gets rather tough and his Ht 3 will allow him to see over most other models when used as a mirror.

You get a lot of that with the Blessed of December but it seems like you really want to be using that model aggressively instead as a bodyguard for Rasputina.

I play Rasputina, Colette and Sandeep. What made it into almost all of my recent lists is the combination of Cassandra, Practiced Production and a Wind Gamin, because:

- Practiced Productino with Wind Gamin make most marker based schemes really easy.
- Cassandra is really mobile and hard to bring down.
- More blasts are always good ;)
- With Raspy or the Wendigo giving Cassandra Frozen Heart and Armor she is even harder to kill plus all the other benefits of Frozen Heart
- There are most of the time really good targets for understudy even outside a Colette list (Mages with Sandeep, Silent Ones with Raspy)
- Wind Gamin are really mobile and they even can hit relatively hard with their triggers for additional attacks given their low SS cost.