Gencon Tyrant(Masters) - Mei Feng's Victory

DrayZed

Hey Everyone, here's the list my buddy Derrek Chu used during the Gencon finals that everyone's wondering about.

Mei Feng + 7 Pool

- Vapormancy (1)

- Seismic Claws (1)

- Misdirection (2)

Toshiro The Daimyo (9)

- Command The Graves (1)

Chiaki The Niece (6)

Katanaka Sniper (7)

Mechanized Porkchop (7)

Obsidian Oni (6)

Obsidian Oni (6)

Noteworthy Events:
Derrek took FFM on The Mech Porkchop, and Baited out Ohaguro Bettari to finish it off, scoring 3 points.
Derrek Took Tail- Em, hitting Amana Zako with Tailed, Ohaguro (There was very little blocking terrain on the board due to player agreement)
Derrek Used Mei in an unusually defensive manner going defensive and Venting Steam, leaving her sitting next to Ohaguro and Yasunori without killing either of them immediately. He only finished off Yasunori after Bilz declared Claim Jump. 
Derrek Failed to Turn 1 the Terra Cotta Warrior with the Katanaka Sniper on a black joker (Red joker from Bilz?) flip for the attack.

For anyone wondering about his Mccabe list, those are usually a little bit more up in the air for what he takes, usually having Luna and some Doggos with glowing swords. What I can say for certain though is that he took Loot Bag, an upgrade from the new book.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kbonn said:

lol, "Derrek Used Mei in an unusually defensive manner going defensive and Venting Steam"  wtf?  how is unusual?

He had opportunities to kill certain models, and the context of him going defensive in the game was unusual given the fact that he had Ohaguro and Yasunori next to him, and the ability to kill either.

• Like 1

Mei killing things is hardly 100%, esp if your cards aren't the best.   Yas has 12 wounds, and betty is def 6 with stone options, so if Duncan's hand is better, mei isn't going to kill betty.    But w/e,  Derrek clearly made the right choice, but I don't find mei locking models down as somehow "unusual".

2 hours ago, Kbonn said:

lol, "Derrek Used Mei in an unusually defensive manner going defensive and Venting Steam"  wtf?  how is unusual?

For people that haven't played with (or against) Mei Feng very often, going defensive like this might seem unusual. I play Arcanist Mei Feng a lot, and successful games involve her sitting tight Venting Steam until my opponent makes a mistake or it's the crux turn for shifting momentum (either case I refer to as pivot point). It sounds like waiting until Claim Jump was declared was the pivot point for that game.

It frustrates my opponent to no end to have limited ability to even use friendly cast actions on their models that are being engaged by Mei Feng when they need them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Math Mathonwy said:

This is even doubly effective in TT due to how Misdirection works.

But that's a cool list and, most importantly, thank you @DrayZed for taking the time to do the write-up! Great stuff!

I don't think he actually got to use misdirection at all that game. Ohaguro was in Mei's face. It's why I mentioned it was unusual that he was going defensive with her. No triggers makes it pretty scary to leave her guarding a stash marker by herself.

• Like 3

Yeah, given the context of this game (especially Ohaguro shutting down Mei's defensive triggers) it looks odd for Mei to NOT try and eliminate one of the big threats near her. Like DrayZed implied, Derrek was playing around Frame for Murder; otherwise, I'm sure Derrek would have tried killing at least Ohaguro.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tomjoad said:

Yeah, given the context of this game (especially Ohaguro shutting down Mei's defensive triggers) it looks odd for Mei to NOT try and eliminate one of the big threats near her. Like DrayZed implied, Derrek was playing around Frame for Murder; otherwise, I'm sure Derrek would have tried killing at least Ohaguro.

Exactly this: once Claim Jump was declared it probably revealed that FFM was not picked. The summary doesn't provide enough information to specify this, but it's one of the pivot point triggers I would look for: am I clear to have Mei Feng start pummeling things?

If I'm running Mei and looking for the go ahead to get aggressive with her, that would certainly clear the attack run. Without that information, the next thing to do to limit FFM risks is wait until after Turn 3 to go on the attack. If I'm playing as 10T and fielding Ohaguro in a scenario that includes FFM, I would have to find a good excuse to not jam Betty straight into a henchman or master's face and mess with their ability to do things (either bluffing or actually playing FFM). Similarly with Yasunori, I can use the 10T 'Rider' as a guided missile to mess with things and enable my own stuff while my opponent either lets me or risks giving me FFM points.

Mei without S.Emissary lose a free attack, but charging near porkchop, under recalled training, with some stone to trigger free kick from tiger claw (seismic claw) she still can have a great damage output if you are able to cheat for heavy.

Perhaps the winner had to safe play around FFM and can't manage to finish off threats with burning damage (for example really bad control hand, no way to charge with :+fate because asami upgrade of just too far from pork, no way to switch recalled training, monk on the other side not activate yet...) or he perhaps doesn't want to empty his control hand (for example yasunori from other side not activate yet....)

Congratulation to the winner and to the finalist both!