Help a noob! Zipp crew core building, situationals, upgrades and tactics

Delirium88

Hi all, i m a new Malifaux player, i bougt Zipp core box plus more other miniatures without play a single game, now that i have some gremlins miniatures i would like to start playing with Zipp as master.

Can you please help me building core set for him, explaining the most common and used combos and strategies? Cant find nothing on him on pullmyfinger.

I have theese miniatures:

- Zipp box

- Ophelia box

- Som'er box

- 3 Piglets

- Burt Jebsen

- Merris Lacroix

- Old Cranky

- 1 Slop Hauler

Figuring to buy Creative Taxidermy and Pigapult.

Can you please help me? Tonight i will probably do my First game.

Zipp is a great master who revolves around having high mobility and annoying side effects.   A combo that must be used to get the most out of him is getting earl to give zipp his masks through regular mantanance. In terms of lists, I would take zipp with one limited and diatribe, Burt, frank, earl, slop hauler, iron skeeter w hovering airship, pere, Raphael and 2 bayous. 

Don't bother with the pigaplult, just get the generalist upgrade deck to get access to dirty cheater and stilts

I came up with this list the other day but I think right now with the new upgrades  I'd get Sammy and use zipp's new upgrade on her.

Take something like 

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Zipp + 4 Pool
 - Rambling Diatribe 
 - The Gift of Gab 
 - Dirty Cheater 
Earl Burns 
Sammy LaCroix 
 - The Dread Pirate Zipp
Francois LaCroix 
Gremlin Taxidermist 
 - Dirty Cheater 
Iron Skeeter 
 - Hovering Airship
Pere Ravage 
Bayou Gremlin 
Bayou Gremlin
Bayou Gremlin

**Instead of the Franc, pere & iron Skeeter  2x swine-cursed and a hog whisperer can be swapped in depending on the faction**

This is a pretty solid list that can alpha if it wants but even just moving mid board it leaves your opponent scratching their heads. Between the bayous/sammy/Zipp controlling how your opponent can activate (bayous can cast mood swings while Sammy is in the bury and Sammy wants to go first so they have it most of the turn). Mood swings is probably one of the best conditions and since it carries over from the turn before it let's you manipulate the following turn (thus keeping Sammy safe at the beginning of the turn). Also having the threat to alpha with either package is nice (both have their ups and downs). Lastly the taxidermist is nice to flank with and summon stuffed piglets to throw additional wrenches into your opponents plans. 

Just my opinion.... The First Mate is an amazing henchman who makes it into every Zipp list I have played so far. His leap is only a 4 and with the upgrade to eat enemy scheme markers, he is a model your opponent MUST deal with. That pulls attention away from Zipp, which ultimately makes him better.  I highly recommend including The First Mate over a Sammy or Francois LaCroix. . Versatility and mobility are what makes any Zipp crew solid. *a good control hand helps too* 

3 hours ago, Fixxer said:

Just my opinion.... The First Mate is an amazing henchman who makes it into every Zipp list I have played so far. His leap is only a 4 and with the upgrade to eat enemy scheme markers, he is a model your opponent MUST deal with. That pulls attention away from Zipp, which ultimately makes him better.  I highly recommend including The First Mate over a Sammy or Francois LaCroix. . Versatility and mobility are what makes any Zipp crew solid. *a good control hand helps too* 

I'm sorry but I disagree. With the new upgrade it makes every bayou better and makes Sammy better. Sammy also controls the enemy much better when she doesn't have to worry about being killed. Also mood swings off of bayous is so good and it's like giving them a third free ap. I could understand taking the first mate before some times but now I don't see it.

The first mate has two ap and isn't very resilient...his leap is cool I guess but what makes him better than trixi? She can reckless, control the board (push and slow from much further away), control scheme markers and control the initiative flip.....as far as I can see she does his job better than him.

I guess Francois is different but having a built in 4/8/10 on a model (strongest model in the crew) does really change how your opponent interacts with you and also give your list some punch.(he also costs like 28% less)

Everyone has their own opinion but I just have a super hard time fitting in the first mate. What's great though is you decide! He's still a cool model who benefits from being with Zipp (upgrades).

• Like 1

Honestly the first mate is fantastic if you run into a round where scheme markers are mandatory (meaning there is no schemes your opponent can pick that do not force them to drop markers at some point in time), these match ups are very rare, and including a 10ss model to just do that is hard to justify.

Remember, when using Franc to blow up enemy models every turn or forcing enemy models to deal with Franc is counter scheming in its own regard.

GG2018 might change this (unlikely)

9 hours ago, lame0 said:

The first mate has two ap and isn't very resilient...his leap is cool I guess but what makes him better than trixi? She can reckless, control the board (push and slow from much further away), control scheme markers and control the initiative flip.....as far as I can see she does his job better than him.

Trixie's Pushes against non-Gremlins are directly away while First Mate's are in any direction which is pretty huge. Of course Trixie can also move friendlies which is huge as well, mind.

I think that First Mate isn't bad and has his place though I do agree that often I end up with Trixie or Fingers instead.

• Like 1

Ty for your suggestions, but i dont have Sammy Lacroix and neither Creative Taxidermy for now.. so what can i do?

I think i could use this kind of list for 50ss:

Zipp (Gift of Gab, Rambling Diatribe, Dirty Cheater) (cache 4, 3Upgrades)

Earl - cost: 3

Francois Lacroix - cost: 7 

Iron Skeeter (Poorly Handled Explosives)- cost: 6+0

Iron Skeeter (Hovering Airship)- cost: 6+0

Burt Jebsen (Dirty Cheater) - cost: 7+1

Pere Ravage - cost: 6

Merris Lacroix - cost: 6

3 Bayou Gremlins - cost: 3*3

Can you comment the list? Any suggestions? You think i should insert a slop hauler? Who can be a good situational for differents games?

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Zipp + 7 Pool
 - The Gift of Gab (1)
 - The Dread Pirate Zipp (1)
Earl Burns (3)
Francois LaCroix (7)
Burt Jebsen (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Pere Ravage (6)
Iron Skeeter (6)
 - Hovering Airship (0)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)

With a flex choice of 

- Rambling Diatribe + slop hauler

Or 

Iron Skeeter with airship spotlight

This list is still good all you have to do is say your using young LaCroix as extra bayou gremlin. If it's your first game I doubt anyone will care.

The flex is the choice between full out alpha striking or having healing and some hand control. That's the best I could do with what you got.

If you don't want to proxy the bayous or the opponent won't let you. 

Go

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Zipp + 4 Pool
 - The Gift of Gab (1)
 - Rambling Diatribe (1)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Earl Burns (3)
Francois LaCroix (7)
Burt Jebsen (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Pere Ravage (6)
Iron Skeeter (6)
 - Hovering Airship (0)
Iron Skeeter (6)
 - Airship Spotlight (0)
Slop Hauler (5)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)

Pretty great list to alpha strike with. Just to note not knowing what faction your up against could be a detriment to this list cus alpha does have weaknesses.

47 minutes ago, lame0 said:

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Zipp + 7 Pool
 - The Gift of Gab (1)
 - The Dread Pirate Zipp (1)
Earl Burns (3)
Francois LaCroix (7)
Burt Jebsen (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Pere Ravage (6)
Iron Skeeter (6)
 - Hovering Airship (0)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)

With a flex choice of 

- Rambling Diatribe + slop hauler

Or 

Iron Skeeter with airship spotlight

This list is still good all you have to do is say your using young LaCroix as extra bayou gremlin. If it's your first game I doubt anyone will care.

The flex is the choice between full out alpha striking or having healing and some hand control. That's the best I could do with what you got.

If you don't want to proxy the bayous or the opponent won't let you. 

Go

50 SS Gremlins Crew
Zipp + 4 Pool
 - The Gift of Gab (1)
 - Rambling Diatribe (1)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Earl Burns (3)
Francois LaCroix (7)
Burt Jebsen (7)
 - Dirty Cheater (1)
Pere Ravage (6)
Iron Skeeter (6)
 - Hovering Airship (0)
Iron Skeeter (6)
 - Airship Spotlight (0)
Slop Hauler (5)
Bayou Gremlin (3)
Bayou Gremlin (3)

Pretty great list to alpha strike with.

I dont need to prox bayou because i have 4 of them. Why in your list do not use Marris Lacroix? And why in the first list Zipp has a pull of 7?

12 minutes ago, Delirium88 said:

I dont need to prox bayou because i have 4 of them. Why in your list do not use Marris Lacroix? And why in the first list Zipp has a pull of 7?

It doesn't I just didn't fill up the points to give the options. I don't love Merris she's pretty good but in most cases right now I prefer two bayous for the same points to scheme run. (Also realize the dread pirate Zipp requires one additional bayou cus it summons one when Zipp is buried.