$5 Mystery box. Not sure if I'm excited or disappointed.

WWHSD

I was walking through a game store that I don't frequently visit. They don't carry Malifaux stuff but had a Malifaux Mystery box over in their discount and used section for $5. 

I was excited at  first when I opened it and saw that had Kaeris in it since she's an Arcanist Model that I don't already have. The exciment has faded a bit since I realized that it might not be ideal to have a master without their box. 

How does Kaeris play leading a crew that doesn't contain any of the models that come in her box?

Perfectly fine. Some people like him, but I don't think many consider Firestarter essential. I've only used him once myself. Her totem is kind of shit, its still marginally playable since its only 2 SS but most use Malifaux Child or no totem. Fire Gamin are ok 4 SS minions but Arcanists have a billion (rough estimation ;)) 4 stone minions to choose from and they are available in their own box if you think the models are pretty.

• Like 1

I like Fire Gamin with her, so of her box that's what i'd most recommend you pick up. As mentioned above, Firestarter has an alt model that IMO is way more interesting so grabbing that would work out well. Eternal Flame can work as a cheap activation and a heal that auto-succeeds (but needs a discard and limited target selection), and with Grab & Drop if you set it on fire and have it double walk you can throw a scheme marker 12" out which is nice but generally I prefer Malifaux Child with her. She does well with things like Gunsmiths, Rail Golem, Large Arachnids, Performers, or really anyone who likes Burning or getting heals / lots of scheme markers on the field.

1 hour ago, Bengt said:

That's the one I've got. 

If I build her and use her for a bit I won't feel so bad if I eventually buy her box. 

On the other hand being able to turn her into something that I'm more likely to use is really tempting. I'm not sure how to go about it in a way that's not more trouble than $20-30 is worth.

You may already have the models you need if you play arcanists already as she likes things from Mei's box, Ironsides box and aparently raptors.

Although fire starter is quite common in mystery boxes should you really need him.

Fire Gamin can probably be picked up separately but you'll want all the gamin eventuality anyway if you ever go for Sandeep.

The opinion of the totem seems farely low but again if you wanted it you could always convert or scratch build something.

3 hours ago, WWHSD said:

That's the one I've got. 

If I build her and use her for a bit I won't feel so bad if I eventually buy her box. 

On the other hand being able to turn her into something that I'm more likely to use is really tempting. I'm not sure how to go about it in a way that's not more trouble than $20-30 is worth.

Personally I prefer the regular model so would totally sell or trade the alt if it wasn't too much trouble. :P

1 hour ago, Vorschlag said:

You may already have the models you need if you play arcanists already as she likes things from Mei's box, Ironsides box and aparently raptors.

I've got the Mei and Ironsides boxes. 

Luckily, I've got enough other stuff to work on that I've got plenty of time to figure out what to do with her.

If I didn't already have Translucent Kaeris, I would totally have the alt one.  Firestarter and Gamin are pretty easy to get outside the box. Eternal Flame, most don't use it. I have on occasion but its not often enough I'd buy a whole new box just to get it.