Henchman Hardcore

anewbre

I've been out of Maliifaux fora year with school, but my local group is hosting a Hardcore Henchman tournament and I thought that I would run Miranda. With only 20 soulstones and 3 models to hire who would you hire? I have 1 of each of the Arcanist beasts and 3 canine remains.

Thanks

The crew that's gotten me the most wins in HH is:

Snowstorm

Ice Golem

Ice Gamin

Silent One

It's hard for the enemy to deal with an Ice Golem that's placed suddenly right in their master's face and under the Ice Gamin's aura.

Another really good one is  Joss, Howard with IE, Effigy, Toolkit.

Fast Howard with :+fate to attack flips will usually straight up murder a model turn 1, or have him Armor 2, which is pretty hard to take down with 11 wounds.

You'd think essentially playing down a model with toolkit being a peon could be a problem, but after howard murders something, so are they.

I placed 2nd out of 14 with:

Joss w Open Current

Steam Arachnid Swarm

December Acolyte

Steam Arachnid

The December Acolyte and Joss's (0) with Open Current attack the opponent's Hand setting up the Swarm to Attack and keep Chaining Attacks.

I'm currently toying with the idea of:

Snow Storm

Ice Golem

Silent One

Metal Gamin

• Like 1

Thanks for all of your replies. Unfortunately, I don't have Rasputin's or Ironside's crew. I do have  Joss, Howard, Arcane Effigy and tool kit so I will look closer at them. I thought about Joss and the Oxfordian Mages for the increase in WP and pure killing power of Joss and ranged attacks by the Mages.

7 hours ago, BFOmega said:

Joss and the mages are only 15 points though, no way to get up to 20 (unless you don't take temporary shielding, which is strictly worse).

Throw a couple of upgrades on Joss. Warding Rune on Joss should almost be an automatic take on Joss since you have the mages. Then take either Imbued Protection or Arcane Resevoir depending on preference. That puts you at 18 points.

Do unspent points go into the soulstone cache in Henchmen Hardcore?

On 2017-6-10 at 4:04 PM, BFOmega said:

Joss and the mages are only 15 points though, no way to get up to 20 (unless you don't take temporary shielding, which is strictly worse).

You can buy upgrades other than the wards on the Mages. They could all sit there with Imbued Energies if you wanted. It might not be the best use of them , but warding runes and Arcane reservoir on Joss, 2 wards and Imbued protection on the 3rd mage gets you to 20 ss and you've got 2 of the bonus's on Joss. 

9 hours ago, Adran said:

You can buy upgrades other than the wards on the Mages. They could all sit there with Imbued Energies if you wanted. It might not be the best use of them , but warding runes and Arcane reservoir on Joss, 2 wards and Imbued protection on the 3rd mage gets you to 20 ss and you've got 2 of the bonus's on Joss. 

The 0ss Mage upgrades seem like they are probably better than Imbued Protection. Using Imbued Protection instead of one of the Mage wards is going to make the your weakest Mage the hardest Mage to kill. 

Is there any real advantage to taking Imbued Protection other than being able to say that you spent all of your soul stones? If you are discouraging your opponent from attacking the last model that they wanted to attack anyways, it doesn't seem like it's serving much of a purpose to me.

I could see taking Imbued Protection over Doom ward, as it's the least directly powerful of them (Nemesis can flank and Blood can melee, Doom is just a defensive trigger that's not built in) and with how fast Hardcore games go Regeneration might not even come up for the Captain if he has Warding Runes

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WWHSD said:

The 0ss Mage upgrades seem like they are probably better than Imbued Protection. Using Imbued Protection instead of one of the Mage wards is going to make the your weakest Mage the hardest Mage to kill. 

Is there any real advantage to taking Imbued Protection other than being able to say that you spent all of your soul stones? If you are discouraging your opponent from attacking the last model that they wanted to attack anyways, it doesn't seem like it's serving much of a purpose to me.

One advantage is that the Arcane shield that protects the mages only works until they activate. which is quite poor when 3 of your 4 models have that, you'll spend a lot of the time without that protection. By making one mage more durable you have a natural one to want to activate early, making it harder for the enemy to decide which is the best to attack, to one that will reduce all damage by 1 (to a minimum of 0) or the one with  bonus defence. 

Plus you score points by having 2 models still in the turf war area. Anything which helps keep the 2nd model alive can be the difference between winning and losing, and Mages as a whole are not the most durable. Having one with extra df and in effect extra wounds makes it a good choice to be the one that activates early and sits in the Turf war area. 

Those advantages normally probably wouldn't be worth the 2 stones, but they might be worth 0 stones. 

• Like 1

Wind gamin up front as a speed bump. I bury it and sacrifice it to give the Arcane Emissary the 5" push. It charges the back ranks and pushes the victim (hopefully the leader) away from the center while Joss and Scorpius take care of the killer of the Wind Gamin and claim the center. But really I have no idea what I'm doing.