New Player

jonmierow

Hello all. I've been looking at getting into this game for awhile, and I think I'm ready to take the plunge. I've got a couple of other friends who have been playing (Resurrectionists, Ten Thunders, and Neverborn). As I've been reading up on the various factions I keep coming back to the Arcanists. I think I've settled on starting with Ramos, especially since it seems like it'll be easy to learn with him, and there is some flexibility going forward if I want to change tactics. Here's what I'm looking at getting:

The M & SU Ramos Crew Box Set
        Arachnid Swarm
        Mobile Toolkit (1 or 2?)
        Electric Creation (1 or 2?)
        December Acolyte

Is this a good way to start? Is there something that I should add/drop from the list? Thanks for the info and help.

• Like 1

Welcome to Malifaux :D That seems like a good start, just a few things I'd change.  Make sure the Steam Arachnid box you get is the one with 6 models in it, there's one for 3 as well but it's less bang for your buck.  You can only have 1 Mobile Toolkit, so I wouldn't grab two of them.  Also December Acolytes are good, but they don't do a lot for Ramos besides just being good guns so maybe consider swapping those out for Sue (he gives you more card draw which Ramos loves).

• Like 1

Welcome!  I'm relatively new too, nice to have other fellow new players around!

I think Mechanical Rider (Arcanist Enforcer) and Johan (Outcast enforcer) are probably good pick-ups for Ramos too.  Mech rider is just a great all around Arcanist model that will be seen in a variety of crews.  Johan has a great healing synergy for M&SU models and also has condition removal.  And if you pick up Mechanical Rider maybe pick up a pack of Metal Gamin too.  Mech Rider can summon arachnid spiders as well, but Metal Gamin are often good in different situations.

Good luck!

So after more reading a variety of posts and blogs it looks like I've narrowed it down to Ramos and Rasutina. Based on that I think I'd be looking at one of the two following:

Ramos
    The M and SU
    Steam Arachnid Swarm
    Electric Creation
    Mobile Toolkit
    Johan
    Potential Future Addons: December Acolyte, Mechanical Rider, Sue

Rasputina
    Children of December
    Blessed of December
    Snow Storm
    Silent Ones
    Ice Dancers
    Potential Addons: December Acolyte, Ice Golem, Arcane Effigy

My questions are:

1. Does both of the lists look good, especially for a beginner?

2. Is there one of the two lists that would be able to handle a larger set of strategies/schemes?

Ice Golem comes in the raspy box anyway, so no need to look for that.   drop in the Acolyte box instead, as you'll soon get tired of looking on this forum and seeing people post about how they are the best value shooter in the game!

If you're getting these 2 crews, you can handle most schemes between them. Ramos is maybe more flexible, but as you are starting out its not going to really make a huge deal of difference - playing both crews in most scheme pools will help you learn the rules and what the crews do well / not so well. 

(For some reason there always seem to be nicely painted raspy crews on ebay at sensible prices, so that might be worth considering too)  

4 hours ago, jonmierow said:

Ramos
    The M and SU
    Steam Arachnid Swarm
    Electric Creation
    Mobile Toolkit
    Johan
    Potential Future Addons: December Acolyte, Mechanical Rider, Sue

If you go this way it looks fine. You can probably even get by without both the Mobile Toolkit and the Electrical Creation if you want to start even smaller. In my experience they are both used for the same thing, first turn scrap. So either use the Toolkit and have Joss charge and kill it for two scrap, or the Electrical Creation and have Ramos use Magnetism to kill it and get one scrap and a free push on Ramos. As long as you have one of the two you will have the foundation for a first turn summon. Opinions vary on which is preferred.

Ramos tends to be pretty flexible on what he can handle, but there are some things like Hunting Party that can make life rather rough for him.

Note on Mechanical Rider - it gets better as you have more summon options. So until you have things like Fire/Metal Gamin for options you may not be able to use it to it's full potential.

I don't have enough experience with Raspy to help or intelligently add comments on her :(