Malifaux noob likes the Ork-y gremlins, but... ?

PlugInPlague

Talk to me like I know nothing.

Aesthetically, I dig the mechanical gremlin stuff like Sparks, Mechanized Porkchops, Survivors, maybe Whiskey Golem. Would like that to be my foundation.

I understand Malifaux lists require flexibility per game, but if I started with the above, what else would I need to make these models mostly work together?

A master obviously... who? Any advice appreciated.

Honestly, you can basically do anyone you want. Zipp has a bit of synergy with constructs through his totem (Earl Burns) who can hand out suits and :+fates to them, but that's it. You can just as easily run those models with, say, Som'er and get just as much of a benefit.

Although to be fair if you like the mechanical theme then Zipp is probably a good choice given his mechanically-inclined crew box.

Som'er and Zipp are both solid generalist masters so they both make good starting masters too.

My nephew/regular opponent is fond of the Mecha-Gremlin Death Squad aesthetic. Ordered Zipp for him at GenCon, and he loves him, so much he had me order him Sparks and Mechanical Porkchop over Black Friday.

Also, Zipp is.. entertaining and just fun to play with and aganst (well, I have fun fighting agaisnt him and the nephew seems to lvoe him. We both get a laugh out of Drop the Pianos!- especially when Mutiny or "Are They Dropping the Loot?!" hits... )

• Like 1

Zipp is nice with the mechagremlins.

As a secound option I'd recommend Wong and or the pigapult or any master that likes to use the pigapult - Sparks works well with the pigapult. (makes the stuffed piglets do more blasts, gives the pigapult fast,...)

Wong and Sparks can do something funny with the Mechanical Porkchop:
- Mech. Porkchop drops scrap markers
- Sparks uses them to turn Wong into a construct

- Lazarus (with glowy) copies wongs attack (+fast)

The result is a Lazarus that potentially wipes a huge area on the board =) 

• Like 2

On November 29, 2016 at 0:28 AM, PlugInPlague said:

Thank you all. I would also like to ask, how many Mechanical Porkchops would be too many?

I'm going to get a second one but may end up using it as a stand in Iron Skeeter. In Zipp's story in the ripples of fate book when he tells Earl to make the flying machines look like skeeters, one of his pirates, Roscoe, says he wants his to be a pig. 

So im going to take the gremlin that rides on the whiskey golems neck and put him on the back of a mech chop and see if I can make it look like its flying hehe

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Swinerider said:

I'm going to get a second one but may end up using it as a stand in Iron Skeeter. In Zipp's story in the ripples of fate book when he tells Earl to make the flying machines look like skeeters, one of his pirates, Roscoe, says he wants his to be a pig. 

So im going to take the gremlin that rides on the whiskey golems neck and put him on the back of a mech chop and see if I can make it look like its flying hehe

Awesome! It'll need mecha wings. Symmetrical wings, not watcher/Valedictorian/Amalgamation wings.

*eyes Kaeris*

*eyes Merris*

Sure, ok, fine, you could just use rockets and a trail of exhaust...

• Like 1

he is a construct with a great self heal, so he cant fit.  He's also already got nimble so if you use sparks to give him fast as well he will REALLY be hauling.  Whiskey is unfortunately one of those love/hate models.  I'm sure a lot of people will say that he's no good but I love him. His new upgrade makes him get a ton of heal flips while he's dishing out the pain.

On 12/1/2016 at 2:47 AM, Swinerider said:

he is a construct with a great self heal, so he cant fit.  He's also already got nimble so if you use sparks to give him fast as well he will REALLY be hauling.  Whiskey is unfortunately one of those love/hate models.  I'm sure a lot of people will say that he's no good but I love him. His new upgrade makes him get a ton of heal flips while he's dishing out the pain.

Heh, I would describe him more as one of those lukewarm models. Most seem to agree that he is sorta OK and works nicely enough with the proper support but not really anything to write home about.

On whether the golem is only worth it with brewie - there's not really a huge synergy there except poison (and imo trying too hard to spread poison isn't what brewie does best). You'd actually probably get more synergy with Mah Tuckett (who can give it buffs to Ml & push it around to make it even faster) or Zipp via Earl Burns with his action to hand out suits and :+fates to constructs. Beyond that there's Sparks for fast, but really there's not much that directly synergises with it, and in a faction with some really amazing buffs that work off Gremlin or Pig characteristics, you'd better be a really good model to justify having neither (e.g. McTavish)

• Like 1