Fulfilling Death Contract

triedman99

Question

In the middle of a game right now. Ohaguro Bettari had the Death Contract upgrade attached. She had 6 wounds remaining out of 8. She attacked and killed Willie. Then Willie got two blast markers off on his death, which killed Ohaguro, triggering Death Contract. It reads: When this model is killed or sacrificed by an enemy model's action or ability, the enemy model must discard two cards or two soulstones or be killed. 

The problem is this: his model is already dead so he can't choose to kill it, he didn't have any cards to discard, and he only had 1 soulstone to discard. So by the wording of Death Contract he is unable to fulfill any of the requirements. Does nothing happen? Did he find a loophole around Death Contract?

Thanks for your input!

5 answers to this question

Agreed.  The statement "A model can't be killed twice" is incorrect.

Instead, what's true is that if a model is already dead, killing it doesn't do anything.  Just like if a model is already dead, inflicting additional wounds doesn't do anything more to the model.  You can't make the model more dead, but you're not forbidden from trying.  ;)

I don't think there is anything to stiop him chosing be killed, even if he has already been killed. The same thing happens with a lot of the instant death triggers, if the damage from decapitate kills you, then  you don't need to discard 2 cards or 2 soulstones, you just choose to be killed (again). 

Agreed.  The statement "A model can't be killed twice" is incorrect.

Instead, what's true is that if a model is already dead, killing it doesn't do anything.  Just like if a model is already dead, inflicting additional wounds doesn't do anything more to the model.  You can't make the model more dead, but you're not forbidden from trying.  ;)

Another example of this is Rasputina's after damaging trigger that lets her keep attacking a target and blasting off of it after it's dead.

My biggest question is how Willie killed her as he can do 3 dmg with Dropped Load (Any model touching at leasty one of these Markers suffers 3 damage):D

She only had 1 wound left when he dropped his load. Killing him at that moment was probably not my best choice (first time I had ever faced Willie).