Schemes & Stones Building On A Budget (Arcanist)

Khyodee

Noticed the first box, Ironsides, is three points shy yet there's no imbued energies on joss and hank. (I'm also not a huge fan of construct Ironsides, but that's a matter of taste)

Didn't calculate up the points on later lists to check, but there's no better way to fill up the last few points.

I think this is a pretty solid article and very useful for new players and converts. 

For Marcus I would consider a Slate Ridge Mauler as an alternative to the 2nd Cerberus, with the upgrade he is interesting.  Another alternative is the Blessed which is also good and leads nicely into a later Rasputina build.

Otherwise no comments, Arcanist's really have a solid initial run of mutually supportive and adaptable boxes, I think the Captain in the Ironsides box can also compete with Joss or Howard in certain scheme/strat combinations.  

Sandeep box looks interesting, the combination of station characteristics will be important.  Sandeep is clearly Academic (would be nice if he is also M&SU), Kudra is probably an Academic (could also be M&SU and/or Showgirl - I'd love her as Showgirl), the Poison Gamin are Beast and Construct according to reports which is huge for the upgrade Blade & Claw and would give real potential use in almost any Arcanist list (they may also get M&SU but I doubt this).

For obvious purchases in the next stage Arcanist's are still strong.  Apart from expanding to the selections you've made here I think its worth also mentioning as a player expands in particular:

• Mechanical Rider, is great particularly if you already have Ramos box for Spiders to summon (this is even an option for Colette build instead of Coryphee, but summons within budget can be an issue [not enough Mannequins])
  • Arcane Effigy as a 4pt condition removing, burning boosting construct model the only reason not to include it in your start purchases is its price : points ratio is bad
  • Malifaux Raptors as the current holder of irritating models which have to be removed and take more resources than they cost to do so
  • Silent Ones which work in multiple lists if only for healing but in particular Raputina and Colette tend to like them

Otherwise proof that Arcanist's really do do the job better, faster and cheaper - Go Union Labor! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dancater said:

Sandeep box looks interesting, the combination of station characteristics will be important.  Sandeep is clearly Academic (would be nice if he is also M&SU), Kudra is probably an Academic (could also be M&SU and/or Showgirl - I'd love her as Showgirl)

Sandeep and Kudra are both only Academic. Banasuva also not a construct, to complete the set of them.

• Like 1

I think you missed on the Marcus crew. Marcus + Waldgeists + Silurids is IMO a much better start for Marcus (molemen are great once you add silurids, but aren't anything special alone). 

That said...agree that he's tier 2 on the restricted budget. If you boost the fund to $120 or $130, you can fit a lot more. At a $100 limit, everyone should start with Ramos (heck....no reason not to do Marcus and Ramos box sets as a combo).