McCabe & Black Flash - how to?

Mutter

I've played two games with McCabe now, and while I enjoy him tremendously, I'm a bit 'surprised' (didn't really think about it beforehand) how difficult it is to get Black Flash for reactivate going. In most discussions about McCabe people always make it sound like they get this off practically every turn.

But very rarely have I the 6+ Ram in hand needed for it. What do people do? Stone of cards? Stone for suit to get it off? Or is just the perception wrong that people get this off so easily?

13 hours ago, BigHammer said:

Plus McCabe has the handy ability to get stones back, too, with either the Glowing Sabre or his Loot ability when dismounted. If you spend a stone to make a Dawn Serpent (eg) reacitvate, I'd say that's a stone well spent.

Damn, I actually forgot both those abilities ... d'oh!

I've only ever looted with McCabe during campaign play with the Those Who Thirst sword.  Is it Blight? 

I guess I've also only started taking the saber with him recently, as I played a defensive support build previously with the Shirt and Elixir as well as BoS.  I'm trying Promises and Saber out lately, and BoS is an always include.  But yea, I feel a little naked with anything less than 5 stones (1 for each reactivate if I don't ever get the Ram).

5 hours ago, Yvarre said:

I guess I've also only started taking the saber with him recently, as I played a defensive support build previously with the Shirt and Elixir as well as BoS.  I'm trying Promises and Saber out lately, and BoS is an always include.  But yea, I feel a little naked with anything less than 5 stones (1 for each reactivate if I don't ever get the Ram).

By using the Emissary, you can cram another upgrade in ... ;)

For free!

On 02/07/2016 at 8:19 PM, Mutter said:

I've played two games with McCabe now, and while I enjoy him tremendously, I'm a bit 'surprised' (didn't really think about it beforehand) how difficult it is to get Black Flash for reactivate going. In most discussions about McCabe people always make it sound like they get this off practically every turn.

But very rarely have I the 6+ Ram in hand needed for it. What do people do? Stone of cards? Stone for suit to get it off? Or is just the perception wrong that people get this off so easily?

When I use McCabe, I do go quite strongly for the re-activate, so I'll happily use a 10+:ram to cast it is that's what I've got.

With my outlook, its not that many turns when I don't have a :ram that can do it, so I probably don't need to spend stones. I will also hold a 6+:ram ram in my hand from turn to turn if I have a spare, so I know I have the cards to do it next turn.  This mindset does reduce the effect I can get from the rest of my crew, but I normally hope to get worthwhile amount from the reactivate to make up for it. 

I was looking for all rams, but sometimes didn't get any. But indeed, in one turn I got a 6 and a 7 ram, and somehow didn't really think about hanging on to it (might have been the last turn, though), so that's definitely something to keep in mind.

*edit: How do I get the symbols for the suits and the minus and plus flips displayed? And is there a list of all those symbols available?

10 hours ago, BigHammer said:

You are the worst kind of person and I salute you.

Thank you sir! I think I reached 8SS in cache in turn 5 one game.

Yeah, I hang on to those 6+ of :ram as I would be using SS otherwise, Black Flash is that good. Don't forget that throwing upgrades to Wastrels lets them mad cycle your hand with their Bravado *cough* extra Crit Strike on the Sabre *cough* a fiver says I can do it again *cough* Reactivate *COUGH*