Tell me about Ophelia, Som'er and Mah

Merellin

So, My flipflopping back and forth is finaly calming down and I have decided to actualy go for Gremlins (As I considerd multipel times before considering other things, But to settle it I plan on ordering a crew box within a few weeks) Now, What I havent decided on is if I should go Ophelia, Or Mah Tucket, Or Som'er. So I want people to tell me a bit about them, Their playstyles, And sugestions on who to get.

Please?

Thank you in advance.

Ophelia borders on point and click simplicity, she is a Master capable of handing out significant damage and her crew box comes with some the hardest hitting Gremlins in the faction.
Som'er Teeth Jones is a more adaptable master, he can run as a ranged damage Master, a support swarm summoner or a mix of the two.
Som'er will cost you more to get into as he will need piglets, slop ghaulers and bayou gremlins to run summoner Som'er, alternatively Som'er can run with Elite Gremlins or a pig based crew.
I personally don't run the Lacroix with Som'er but Ophelias box when combined with Som'ers box gives you enough flexibility for your first few months of Malifaux with bost masters, as Somers box gives Ophelia some Cannon fodder and Lenny, while Ophelias box gives Som'er some hard hitting elite Gremlins.

I don't play Mah and won't give my opinion of her.

I'm actually just getting started myself and I was instantly drawn to the Lacroix, however, I still bought the Som'er box for the bayou gremlins and Lenny along with a box of slop haulers.  I finished up the family with Sammy and Merris and then I was forced to buy Old Cranky because I love that mini (Sammy Lacroix is a pretty fantastic as well).  

Be warned, assembling gremlins will try your patience as there are some really, really tiny bits on gremlin sprues.

• Like 2

"Be warned, assembling gremlins will try your patience as there are some really, really tiny bits on gremlin sprues."

That's the understatement of the year. Just take your time and they will come out fine. Be very careful handling the skeeters. I've got one with short antenni. 

• Like 1

The first of the gremlin's I assembled was Rami...big mistake.  I broke 4 of the 6 gun barrels clipping them off of the sprue...use a knife very carefully with them.  Sadly, I lost one of the barrels but I was able to make a passable replacement out of green stuff.  

I've gotten 5 of the crew painted so far...they still need some serious touch ups, but are playable for now.  For once, I am actually going to stick to my rule of not playing with unpainted minis.

lacroix.jpg

• Like 2

Nice job.

I lost Old Cranky's pipe. Wound up wittling one out of a sprue piece. 3 tries but made one that is close to acceptable. Not sure what cane be done about the Skeeter antenna though. I broke those on the assembled model putting it out of the way. Go figure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gremlin66 said:

Nice job.

I lost Old Cranky's pipe. Wound up wittling one out of a sprue piece. 3 tries but made one that is close to acceptable. Not sure what cane be done about the Skeeter antenna though. I broke those on the assembled model putting it out of the way. Go figure.

Fishing line?   Mine snapped off too and I've just sort of lived with it.   Can anyone think of anything that bends like fishing line but has some kind of rigidity?  Ideally one that can be posed.

Back on the original topic, Mah is a giggle to play with in that she mixes Ophelia's hilarious damage output with some quality support tricks (while possibly being kind of resource hungry as she does it).   She's not nearly as point-and-click as Ophelia, but once you get her figured out the results can be breathtaking.

He looks good! nice job on the pipe, there.

I broke a skeeter antenna too, lost one of the gremlins feet (still no clue where it went) and one of my bayou gremlins has completely lost his rifle for the final time (I still have it, it just won't stay on after repeated attempts to reglue). But if you do go slowly, lay your stuff on something like a large white piece of the foam from one of the larger boxes, I've found it's not too bad (course I'm used to it now!)

Err, re: masters - I've only actually played Somer. You can start him just fine with only an extra set of bayou gremlins and one of slop haulers, imo. That should give you enough to do either the gunline idea, or gremlin summoning Somer.

Ophelia is more straightforward from what I understand, but like I said, haven't played her.

Good luck with whatever you choose let us know how it goes =D

5 hours ago, rufusmcdufus said:

If I'm going to play Som'er/Lenny/Sammy...is 1 piglet and 1 stuffed piglet sufficient?  

You aren't very likely to summon more in a game unless you take Lenny's Upgrade so in that sense it is sufficient. Piglets are pretty good, though, so you might want a few more somewhere down the line. And Stuffed Piglets are worth the 2SS cost so you might want more of them as well some day.

Thanks. I will likely grab full boxes later on but Ive bought too much stuff for now. Ordered Burt, Mah's crew, the alt sculpt bayou gremlin, and Rooster Riders earlier this week along with the single piglet & stuffed pig.  

8 more Gremlins have been painted and based this week...I finally have enough models ready to be able to start playing!

23 minutes ago, Merellin said:

So, After asking arround on various parts of the forum, And thinking, And reading, I think I want to either buy Ophelia's Crewbox or Jakob Lynch's Crewbox.. Now to try and chose what one to get without spinning away to other Masters again..

Ophelia's box is very self-contained. Just add Slop Haulers and then Merris or Sammy or Bayou Gremlins and you have a good core that you can play for a long time and do well with suitable for any Strat or Scheme, basically.

Lenny is also fantastic with her but nowhere near mandatory. I have played Ophelia quite a lot without Lenny - he tends to get you to cluster up and that isn't always the best option - with your ample ranged power you can happily spread out and still have models supporting one another. Just take a big Pool and don't be afraid to Stone for Rams when needed.

4 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

Ophelia's box is very self-contained. Just add Slop Haulers and then Merris or Sammy or Bayou Gremlins and you have a good core that you can play for a long time and do well with suitable for any Strat or Scheme, basically.

Lenny is also fantastic with her but nowhere near mandatory. I have played Ophelia quite a lot without Lenny - he tends to get you to cluster up and that isn't always the best option - with your ample ranged power you can happily spread out and still have models supporting one another. Just take a big Pool and don't be afraid to Stone for Rams when needed.

I would probably just add Burt Jebsen => Solid, tough big damage dealer

1 hour ago, Blacks85 said:

I would probably just add Burt Jebsen => Solid, tough big damage dealer

He is but I feel he overlaps with Raphael and Francois. He is extremely good but if going with a tight budget, he wouldn't be my first choice for expanding the Ophelia box. For expanding most other boxes he would be pretty damn high on the list (well, not for Ulix, naturally).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

He is but I feel he overlaps with Raphael and Francois. He is extremely good but if going with a tight budget, he wouldn't be my first choice for expanding the Ophelia box. For expanding most other boxes he would be pretty damn high on the list (well, not for Ulix, naturally).

You are right, i've missed the low budget req.

And its absolutely true that is redundant with rapahael...much better if you need dmg, slightly worst if you need A scheme runner / disrpuptive model

After much thinking and reading, I think I will go for Ophelia. While I love the looks of Collodi, And Lynch looks quite intresting, The Gremlins sound like the most fun to play and I realy like the sounds of Ophelia, Mah and Som'er, They all three sound fun and good (Atleast to a total newbie who has no knowledge or experience outside 2 tutorial matches from the two player starter) So I think I'l pick up Ophelias Crew Box, And maybe another set of models or two, Like the Slop Haulers..

21 hours ago, Merellin said:

After much thinking and reading, I think I will go for Ophelia. While I love the looks of Collodi, And Lynch looks quite intresting, The Gremlins sound like the most fun to play and I realy like the sounds of Ophelia, Mah and Som'er, They all three sound fun and good (Atleast to a total newbie who has no knowledge or experience outside 2 tutorial matches from the two player starter) So I think I'l pick up Ophelias Crew Box, And maybe another set of models or two, Like the Slop Haulers..

She's great fun! And Slop Haulers are a very good buy alongside her box. Welcome to the Bayou!

And.. I failed.. I took too long to order (Cant order untill my pay check arrives) combined with 2 other people starting Malifaux here wanting Gremlins aswell.. And everyone is discussing what they want on the facebook group of my gaming group.. So.. I started looking arround again and now i'm considering Ten Thunders.. Darn it.. I managed to keep my mind made up for barley 5 days..