A random tactical/visual thing I made

Because I am that kind of geek, I spend a fair bit of time thinking about various Malifaux schemes and strategies and how they interact. (This also happens because I don't get to actually play the game as often as I'd like, but that's another story.) One day while stuck on a long conference call, I started working on a way to represent those interactions visually, and eventually came up with a set of layered graphics files that allow you to overlay the specific strats and schemes you're going to be playing, and see visually where the action is likely to be. A couple of examples:

Example 1: Guard the Stash, Standard, Convict Labor, Inspection, Show of Force, Catch & Release (not location-dependent), Exhaust Their Forces (not location-dependent)

This was a combination that came up at a recent tournament I attended (The Normal One in Northampton, UK). I found it interesting that all of the location-dependent schemes were focused on the centerline, so there was no particular reason to try to enter the opponent's territory (although if you chose Catch & Release or Exhaust Their Forces, you might well do so to chase down the opponent's models).

Example1.png

Example 2: Squatter's Rights, Corner, Convict Labor, Hunting Party (not location-dependent), Show of Force, Covert Breakthrough, Occupy Their Turf

This is an interesting combination of focus along the centerline and in the center of the board, plus a lot of activity around the respective deployment zones.I find it interesting to see the areas where Covert Breakthrough and Occupy Their Turf overlap (and, perhaps more importantly, where they don't).

Example2.png

Will this be of use to anyone? I have no idea. :) Maybe some of you are just data geeks like me, or want to consider how to place terrain to create interesting interactions, or are just curious. If so, you can download the files here and fiddle with them to your heart's content. They are formatted as SVG files, one per deployment type, with each scheme and strategy being an individual layer which can be made visible or hidden as desired. I used Inkscape (free and open-source) to create/edit/view these; other SVG-capable apps (Adobe Illustrator, GIMP, probably others) should also work, but I make no guarantees. Standard and Gaining Grounds strats and schemes are included.

Comments, suggestions, and gratuitous abuse welcome!

FILES LAST UPDATED: May 4 2016, 1640 GMT -  Squatter's Rights markers fixed, adjustments to all four maps for visual consistency.

• Like 8

Dude, I had the same idea a while ago. Kudos on actually getting started with it; I just kept putting it off. More kudos on using my favorite vector program (free or not), Inkscape!

This is about how I'd approach it. The next few notations you would need are:

- How to convey different station ranks (I brainstormed I, II, III, IV, and V for Peon through Master, and L for Leader, with strike-through for "non" descriptors, such as non-peon)

- How to convey once/game effects (such as spring the trap) versus multi-turn effects (such as bodyguard).

- How to convey wound levels (such as bodyguard)

- How to differentiate between a friendly and opposing model. One thought would be a filled in circle to denote enemy and empty for friendly. Incorporate that with the first point by putting the station number inside.

- Hidden versus open scheme choices (as you mentioned).

I'd be happy to proof"read" some of the things for you. My thought was to make the pictures of the boards be miniaturized to fit at the bottom of the scheme/strat cards for easy reference.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, brdparker said:

This is about how I'd approach it. The next few notations you would need are:

- How to convey different station ranks (I brainstormed I, II, III, IV, and V for Peon through Master, and L for Leader, with strike-through for "non" descriptors, such as non-peon)

- How to convey once/game effects (such as spring the trap) versus multi-turn effects (such as bodyguard).

- How to convey wound levels (such as bodyguard)

- How to differentiate between a friendly and opposing model. One thought would be a filled in circle to denote enemy and empty for friendly. Incorporate that with the first point by putting the station number inside.

- Hidden versus open scheme choices (as you mentioned).

I'd be happy to proof"read" some of the things for you. My thought was to make the pictures of the boards be miniaturized to fit at the bottom of the scheme/strat cards for easy reference.

This was never intended to be more than a broad strokes, quick-and-dirty overview that would convey essential information at a glance. I can see the value in adding the kind of stuff you're describing, but I feel like it would (a) make it more slow and difficult to interpret and (b) involve a lot more work than I'm prepared to put into it. :)

That said, you're welcome to use my stuff as a starting point and add in all the bells and whistles - I'd love to see what you come up with!

45 minutes ago, zeeblee said:

If this could get turned into an app with checkboxes to allow users to build their current set of circumstances, that would be amazingly useful.

Agreed on all counts! Sadly, however, I don't have any app development experience, and while I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to learn, that (again) sounds like more work than I would find worthwhile at the moment. It might be more worthwhile if I charged for the app, but that means stepping on Wyrd's IP, which I have zero interest in doing. 

Of course, if Wyrd wants to hire me to develop such an app... ;)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Damn, I map these out just on graph paper along with potential turn 1s of crews I take and threat ranges of crews I might face.  I've got maybe 20 pages split between different Thunders crews that I'd take in a given strat and scheme pool.  The handy visual reference is really nice, though, and a system to easily recur mapping would save me time in making my playbooks.  I feel like Vassal can be used to this effect too.

• 2 months later...