The Normal One, Northampton, Saturday 23rd April - 3 Rounds, 50SS

PanzerHarris

Educational? I'm sure that's one word for it... 

I know exactly where that hotel is and it's on my way in, so we can sort times at a later date. 

Also, for everyone, I've finally stopped fondling my new Rooster Riders long enough to finish off the rules pack and publish the schemes and strategies. These are in the top post.

• Like 2

And again, with a photo of the Wyrd prizes. It's now 4 small mystery boxes (I've added another one!) and that Kaeris card is gorgeous.

I may have to enter myself and 'do a Jimmy' in order to win it...

One thing I am going to do - first pick from the raffle selection will go to the winner of Best Sports. I have long been an advocate of rewarding sportsmanship and I'm happy to be able to do so!

• Like 1

On 3/30/2016 at 8:57 AM, Wake of Godzilla said:

It will be awesome to add some international flair to the event - let us know if you need to borrow any models. 

On 3/30/2016 at 10:02 AM, OneLittleThunder said:

Much appreciated! That said, my carry-on KR bag has space for three masters and almost all the models I even semi-regularly use with them, so I think I'll be okay.

Having said that... :(

I packed a bag with full expectations that I had everything I might need for the tournament. But I just had a funny little idea I'd like to try, and realized that I left my Torakage on the wrong side of the Atlantic. If anyone has two of the little ninjas that I could borrow for the tournament, I'd be ever so grateful, and promise to take good care of them...

We are currently sold out - all 24 tickets gone. Have to admit to being more than a little amazed but in a good way. Really appreciate the support!

There are a couple of people who've messaged me looking for tickets - I'm in the process of checking and will let those guys know.

• Like 1

Things you don't want to hear at the start of your very first Malifaux game in the UK: "Table 1, Brian Schoner vs. Joel Henry."

With that said, everything else about today's tournament was absolutely fantastic. Joel is, not surprisingly, an absolute gent as well as a first-class Malifaux player, and I held my own against his Collodi crew for a bit until my overextended Lynch met his demise, after which point it all went rapidly downhill. Still, a 10-6 loss against a world-class player? I'll take that. 

My second match was against Pandora as piloted by Joel's son, a promising young player who was a pleasure to face off against. Despite my deck being unbelievably hot for most of the game - at one point I made a -2 damage flip of 13-13-12 - it all fell apart at the end, when I couldn't kill any one of the three models that would have gotten me the winning points. I lost 7-6, but enjoyed the whole thing. 

My last game was against Dan Humpage's Kaeris crew, in a close back-and forth game that ended appropriately in a 6-6 draw. Dan was another great, friendly player who's bringing his son into the game, and I finished off the day with a smile. 

So two losses and a draw - certainly not my best day playing, but a great chance to discover that the Malifaux players on this side of the Atlantic are just as friendly and welcoming as those in the States. Special thanks to Ben "Panzer" Harris for not only putting on a great tournament, but for toting me back and forth to the event. 

And I get to bring a Best Sports trophy back to the States, of which I am justly proud. 

Thanks to all who made me feel welcome! I hope to meet you all again down the road, and hopefully provide more of a challenge. :)

• Like 6

And we are done! 

2 runners fell before the first hurdle, Messrs Bursnell and Zaramella failing to find a Lidl supermarket and the rendezvous (and they will not hear the end of this!), but 22 others made it and the event went really well from a TO's perspective.

Huge thanks to David Brown for the terrain, and the surprise Internet celebrity visitor Eless and her other half Rich for the admin help. Couldn't have done it without you. 

Prizes then.

As @OneLittleThunder alluded to above he took the Best Sports award. Managed to do so unanimously as well, all 3 of his opponents voting for him. Props to Brian for that, and it was an absolute pleasure to have him with us. 

Last place was really hotly contested. 2 players lost all 3 games, and then 3 more managed 2 losses and a draw. Edging it by being marginally worse than Marc Kempster, was Adam Lake.

3rd place for the Best Painted was David Brown again, with his lovely looking Arcanists. It was really close at the top, but Craig Colley's Lilith took 2nd and an absolutely shellshocked Joel Henry took Best Painted with his amazing Pandora crew!

On the table, Maria took 3rd with her Outcasts, thanks to obliterating poor Hutch in the last round! Craig Colley managed to take a double of 2nd places with second in the gaming too. And at the very top, the much anticipated M2E showdown between Joel Henry and Craig Johnson, with the tournament on the line, went to... Craig Johnson! I'm getting so fed up of handing that man and his Lynch mob winners trophies. :P (Just kidding - anyone who beats Maria and Joel deserves their big shiny trophy!)

Final standings are below and will be submitted to rankings shortly. Any feedback welcomed! 

Thanks everyone for coming, it was a real pleasure. 

Normal%20One%20Final_zpsh3qvtaro.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for a great day Ben, and my opponents Dan, Matt and Karl. Let's be clear - the cards weren't kind to me (except the RJ damage prevention on Joss).

With space at a premium we have a pleasant problem locally of Malifaux being too popular!

Improvement idea? Bigger table numbers!

• Like 1