The Normal One, Northampton, Saturday 23rd April - 3 Rounds, 50SS

PanzerHarris

Salutations, 

Here we go again!

In association with Warzone Workshop I'm very pleased to confirm that our next event, The Normal One, will be running on Saturday April 23rd at the Warzone Workshop store in Northampton. 

The Normal One will be a 3-round tournament at 50SS, hence the name! There won't be any extra soulstones or funky strategies, just straightforward 50SS crews.

We can promise the usual laid-back atmosphere along with our traditionally generous prize pools. As a minimum the following will be on offer;

1st, 2nd and 3rd place gaming
1st, 2nd and 3rd place painting
Best Sports
Best Loser, aka the Dreaded Wooden Spoon...

I have blown my SoulStones on prize packs and limited edition figures, so we will be giving away (via spot prizes and raffles) the following;
- 1 large mystery box
- 4 small mystery boxes
- 1 limited edition alt stat card
- 1 limited edition alt Performer
- 1 limited edition translucent red Bete Noire
- Lots of poker chips

IMG_0284_zpsgaurcpdb.jpg

24 tickets are on offer at £12.50 each. This doesn't include lunch but being in the middle of a busy town, there are enough options within 2 minutes' walk to satisfy any palette. It does however include all the tea and coffee you can drink, along with all the doughnuts I can cram in my car boot on the way in. 

Tickets are available from the following link: http://warzoneworkshop.co.uk/Events?product_id=459

The rules pack is available from here; https://www.dropbox.com/s/443p1uyx6pj0jxi/The%20Normal%20One.pdf?dl=0 

Any questions, please feel free to ask!

FAQs

What crews can I take?

On sign-up you'll be able to either use a fixed faction for the day, or select a Trinity of Masters to use for the day. Full details will be in the rules pack. 

What are the painting requirements? Do I need to use painted models?

There are no painting requirements - models must be assembled and firmly fixed to their bases, but you don't have to have done any painting.

BUT. Only players who have used mostly painted models (3 colours and based as a minimum) in 2 out of 3 games will be eligible to enter the prize raffle. There will be a spot prize each round, but if you want to take home any of the toys the odds are much better in the raffle!

How will the painting competition be run?

Anyone wishing to enter the painting competition can enter a crew of approximately 50SS, which they can set out for the player vote at lunchtime. I won't be counting the values of models set out but there isn't going to be room for you to dump an entire faction plus intricate display boards if that's what you're planning! 

Note that entrants will not be able to put their name next to their crews as the competition is anonymous, and anyone entering will be required to take part in the voting. I may have let that slide in the past but I won't this time - if you don't vote, you will be disqualified. Don't be that guy! :)

What are your rules on proxies?

My usual rules - no using a Malifaux model as another Malifaux model without doing conversion work. James Doxey's magnificent brass / large steam arachnids are a great example of what is acceptable (and an example I use with permission!), as they've been reposed and rebased. Sticking a Canine Remains on the table and saying it's a Guild Hound is not acceptable.

Avatars are fully legal proxies for any Emissary, as per Wyrd.

It is acceptable to use non-Wyrd miniatures as long as it's clear what they are - for example, I've been known to use a Wild West Exodus Native American model as the Outcast Big Jake.

If in doubt, it's the player's responsibility to ask the TO (me) ahead of time to clear up any potential issues.

Will you be publishing the schemes and strategies in advance?

Yes. The scheme pools and strategies will be as follows; 

Guard the Stash, Standard Deployment
-    Convict Labour
-    Show of Force
-    Inspection
-    Exhaust Their Forces
-    Catch & Release

Headhunter, Flank Deployment
-    Convict Labour 
-    Hunting Party
-    Undercover Entourage
-    Show of Force
-    Search the Ruins

Reconnoiter, Corner Deployment 
-    Convict Labour
-    Exhaust Their Forces
-    Public Demonstration
-    Leave Your Mark
-    Detonate the Charges

Entrants

1. Graeme Nicholls 
2. Matt Ledgerwood 
3. Craig Woods 
4. Karl McConnell
5. Richard Matthews
6. Thomas Henry
7. Brian Schoner
8. Callum Edens
9. Joel Henry
10. Alessandro Zaramella
11. Graham Bursnell
12. Dan Humpage
13. Kian Humpage
14. Adam Hutchinson
15. Rich Bream
16. Craig Johnson
17. Maria Wieland
18. David Brown
19. Joe Jackson
20. Craig Colley
21. Michael Ross
22. Ross Mason
23. Marc Kempster
24. Adam Lake

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will be heading over all the way from 'Murica to give the local boys (and/or girls as appropriate) some easy victories. That is, assuming I can get the webstore to sell me a ticket...

By the way, what time does it start? I'm going to have to juggle some train schedules, unless someone's coming up from the Bristol area and wants to give a random foreigner a ride...

• Like 1

We may hold the ranking of top club but I can assure you that's a statistical aberration and nothing to do with the player skill on show. Believe me, you'll find that out on the 23rd...

If you're having issues with the webstore then you can pay on the day. I've had a couple of messages from the store owner though so I think he's working on something for you.

Start time is usually 10am. I'm not a mornings person so I don't pressure players to be either! In terms of transport, I can recommend the train from Bristol Temple Meads or Bristol Parkway to Birmingham New Street, and then Birmingham New Street to Northampton. That's the route I used to take to get home from University in the south west and as train routes go it was fairly painless.

I'll make sure you've got my mobile / cell number in case of problems and if we can get the timings to work I'll volunteer someone to pick you up from the station. If not, don't worry, it's a 5-10 minute walk at most.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wake of Godzilla said:

It will be awesome to add some international flair to the event - let us know if you need to borrow any models. 

Much appreciated! That said, my carry-on KR bag has space for three masters and almost all the models I even semi-regularly use with them, so I think I'll be okay.

59 minutes ago, Joel said:

is it possible to pay on the day?  I'm still working on getting a pass and it may be last-minute decision.

Joel

Yep, not a problem.

I'm hoping for a Neverborn stat card in the prize pack to lure you out... ;) 

43 minutes ago, OneLittleThunder said:

Okay, ticket purchased.

By the way, if there are any new Wyrd releases that aren't readily available in the UK yet, I will probably have a small amount of space to bring some with me.

You really shouldn't have told us that... I'll try not to exploit it!

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Extremely new to Malifaux (I've just bought a crew set and the rulebook) and I don't live far from Northampton, was wondering if i can pop along and watch you guys play some games so I can begin to pick up the rules and basic tactics?

Also, how often are these run?

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

Hi guys,

Extremely new to Malifaux (I've just bought a crew set and the rulebook) and I don't live far from Northampton, was wondering if i can pop along and watch you guys play some games so I can begin to pick up the rules and basic tactics?

Also, how often are these run?

Hey Tom,

Absolutely you can. There's guys there playing faux most days it seems (I'm not local so rarely visit). Friday evening is generally good to pop along I think. Ask for Ben, Karl or Craig and they'll sort you out with some beginner stuff I'm sure.

• Like 1

Yep, pretty much what Graeme said. A couple of our players work evening shifts so they're in Warzone playing during the day, but those of us with real jobs tend to arrive for the Friday night 'club' - the store stays open until 9pm on Fridays so we can play and Malifaux is the most popular game. We also get together reasonably often at weekends as well.

In terms of events, my goal is to run one at least every other month out of Warzone. Don't worry about needing to be at a particular level before playing the tournament though. All my events so far, I've had at least a couple of players who had only played 3 or so games of Malifaux full stop before jumping into the tournament, and they've all loved every second of it. This really is the friendliest crowd out there and you'll be made to feel at home!

• Like 2

Great, I'm sure I can make it down one Friday soon! I'll get all my models painted first though! And once i've got the gist I'd love to compete in a tourney!

Malifaux really appeals to me after playing a fair bit of 40k, I look forward to meeting you lot! What's the average age range? Not that it matters, but I'm 31!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like an impressive list of people ready to welcome me to the UK Malifaux scene by stomping my face in. In a friendly and educational way, of course. :)

I've wrangled some better travel arrangements and will be staying at the Holiday Inn Northampton on Friday and Saturday nights. If anyone expects to be going past that hotel (just south of the river on the A428) on their way to and/or from the tourney, and has room for a portly American, please let me know; if not, I don't expect a taxi will be too onerous.

Looking forward to it!