Gremlin expansion

Colossalsmurf

Hello my fellow bayou residents!

I recently got my first few crews for malifaux. Neverborn ( lynch) and gremlins ( Ophelia) 

now im itching to expand my available modles. So what are models I should look into getting for gremlins? I already plan to get slop haulers, and am very heavily considering the Som'er crew box. Mostly to have Lenny, but also to maybe play Som'er. Speaking of Som'er I guess most people play him as a summoner and just try to abuse dumb luck everywhere? 

I have some interest in Gracie and maybe Burt Jebsen, but not sure. Also with Som'er's crew what are good expansion for that? I plan to use a lot of the Lacroix ( love them so much) but figured they could easily play into each other for crew options. 

Anyway im just rambling at this point, but thanks in advance for any help.

• Like 1

Somer is extremely versatile and can do other things besides the Summon thing. If you want to Summon, then another box of Bayou Gremlins is a good idea (to bring them to eight total). But you can do plenty with Somer out of the box.

If you want to expand on the LaCroix, Merris is extremely good at Schemes and Sammy is super fun as well. Both work very well with both Ophelia and Somer.

Gracie is fun but dies easy if the enemy ignores Armor. If they don't, he's golden. And with Saddle makes sure that Lenny or Somer or whoever can rider around in style.

Burt OTOH is just very good - a sort of mix of Raphael and Francois in a way.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Colossalsmurf said:

I was thinking to not worry about more bayou gremlins yet and would just use young Lacroix as bayous I summon.

That's a good way of going about it, agreed!

Sammy is kind of like the witch right? She has a sort of obey ability and a poison thing?

She can carry a Master's unique Upgrade which allows her to, e.g., do the Summoning for Somer or hold My Threatening Gun and order Ophelia around with it essentially giving her an extra AP. She doesn't have an Obey but rather curses enemies so they can't Walk or Charge, use Triggers (can really mess some models' defensive mechanisms!), or cause Terror duels. She can also turn enemy Scheme Markers into Stuffed Piglets. And she has Bayou Two-card. She is a tiny toolbox, really.

I'm set on Som'er's crew and slop. So maybe those and then add the two Lacroix ladies? 

Sounds good to me! Burt isn't as essential since you have Francois and Raphael and Gracie, though very nice, is sorta vulnerable.

Sammy is my new favorite gremlin.  Followed closely by Trixibell (give her a gun and she's a killer, give her quality mash and she's a super strong healer).   Zoraida could be interesting as she is both Gremlin and Neverborn.  Pigapult works well with Ophelia as it can throw her crew all over the place. 

You should get rooster riders as soon as Wyrd releases them. 

Better submit this now before I mention Wong, Mah Tucket, Somner crews, Slop Haulers... oops too late  :) 

24 minutes ago, RussellYale said:

Sammy is my new favorite gremlin.  Followed closely by Trixibell (give her a gun and she's a killer, give her quality mash and she's a super strong healer).   Zoraida could be interesting as she is both Gremlin and Neverborn.  Pigapult works well with Ophelia as it can throw her crew all over the place. 

You should get rooster riders as soon as Wyrd releases them. 

Better submit this now before I mention Wong, Mah Tucket, Somner crews, Slop Haulers... oops too late  :) 

Okay, I'm gonna press a bit more on the pigapult side, is it worth the cost WITHOUT piglets? What is the tactica for the pigapult, is it more of a movement trick? My Gremlins have quite something, but I currently don't consider anything with pigs [except slop haulers]

You'll need pigs (both piglets and stuffed pigs).  With Gremlins there are a lot of ways pigs end up in your crew.  Many models have ways to summon them.  If you are playing local games just proxie them in. 

The pigapult does need pigs to be really effective.  However it can also be used as gremlin delivery device.  Any scheme that needs models to be somewhere on the board can be achieved by simply throwing them there. 

The cost of running the pigapult is high.  I find 50ss games to be where I can include it.  Often when I have a Somner crew I use it, summon and fire gremlins everywhere for gremlin style chaos.   With Ophelia it's nice to be able put her and Francois behind enemy lines in the first turn. 

Just the threat of the pigapult will cause the enemy players to change how they play and the crew they chose.

Idk you really don't need pigs for the pigapult. It works better imo to chuck gremlins around for schemes, particularly some of the new GG ones (public demonstration and occupy are good)

If you wanna use it to actually shoot, it's not a huuuge investment, you just need a tome and Lenny to chuck a pig at it each turn.

Well for stuffed I want to wait for the official ones, though gonna proxie them with my pumpkin markers (which I built for the Wyrd enzine carver encounter) (poor sammy...).

So it is mostly for delivering your gremlins behind enemy lines... and I can see how ophlia and francois can wreck chaos there... [once killed a teddy in one turn with francois D:]

I'm in pretty much the same situation and I can see my thoughts are in line with most others. I started with Ophelia's box crew and expanded with Slop haulers and Merris. They have both been included for a couple of encounters and I have so far become really fond of Merris. She has earned me many scheme-VP and I hope I'll soon get to try out her protective aura if I can get monsieur Ravage to overdo his "Oopsie" in a turf war. The latest addition is Burt, he's in the mail (together with a whisky golem who will be accompanied by the Brewmaster box next month, but that's a whole different story).

Lenny feels as if he might be too powerful, but on the other hand he costs almost as much as two other models so maybe it evens out. I have also been considering Old Cranky, but I'm still in favour of the cheaper young ones for activation and upgrade purposes.

I have not seen any need for pigs actually, even though it would be great fun to have a few piglets to stampede around and of course the pigapult is a fabulous contraption. Ultra cunning gremlin tech. :-)

Thanks for the help guys. I don't have any immediate plans to get a pigaapult just yet. But it sounds fun. I think I will still get Gracie and Burt at some point. And I'm also excited about the sow at some point. And mah tucket is my next gremlin crew box. Because mah seems like a hoot and Trixiebelle is very useful.