Models to go with the Wong box

turbotomte

Hey!

So I'm about to finally do it, to go green!

I've been eyeballing Gremlins for a long time, and after painting/playing with all my other crews/factions I'm about to pull the plunge and dive in. I'm going to start out with Wong, 100% due to looks, haha.

I know there are other threads similar to this, and I've been reading them all, believe me. But is this a good start? Anything I'm missing to get a good first experience with Gremlins/Wong, or anything which I wont be needing (I'd love to save some money if that's the case, ha!). 

This is what I've been thinking of getting:

Wong box
Burt Jebsen
Gracie
Merris Lacroix
Slop Haulers
Sammy Lacroix

Cheers!

I think you'll have a pretty good time with this, at least as far as models that have been released.  I like stuffed piglets with Wong (every solution contains explosives!), but alas, not yet unless you can score some old metal ones.  I also like the Lucky Effigy, although not everyone does.  It makes me a bit less salty when I flip :ram with Wong, though.

That's an excellent start for the Gremlins faction in general, and you've got a whole bunch of solid models, and models with good synergy with Wong.

The only thing I think you're lacking is some cheaper minions to pad out activations or for Reconnoiter. It's not important enough to drop any of those purchases, but I'd suggest either Som'er's box, or if you really don't want to play Som'er, a box of Bayou Gremlins for those extra cheap minions, and also Ophelia's box later down the line for some more stronger inidividual models/glowy targets (Francois, Raphael) and a couple of other nifty models.

the only other thing is that if you really wanted to drop a model from there, and I'm loathe to say this because she's my favourite model in the game, but Sammy isn't suuuuuper essential. She can hold Ooo Glowy for Wong, and she puts out some nice control and reliable damage, but isn't as synergy-loaded as someone like Burt.

If you intend to use his bag you'd need at least one Piglet. I'm not suggesting you use his bag (it's not very good, though it doesn't randomize when shooting into engagement so it isn't completely hopeless) but just noting. It can be nice against Flesh Constructs, though, which can be a bit of a problem for Gremlins. If you decide to get Piglets, consider the Hog Whisperer as without him they are a bit random.

7 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

If you intend to use his bag you'd need at least one Piglet. I'm not suggesting you use his bag (it's not very good, though it doesn't randomize when shooting into engagement so it isn't completely hopeless) but just noting. It can be nice against Flesh Constructs, though, which can be a bit of a problem for Gremlins. If you decide to get Piglets, consider the Hog Whisperer as without him they are a bit random.

You also generally want to take the bag if your opponent declares Outcasts. Just in case, so that you don't get completely hosed by Freikorp suits preventing your blast/pulse damage. Freikorp shuts down Wong, Burt, and Lightning Bugs pretty harshly.

51 minutes ago, D6Damager said:

You also generally want to take the bag if your opponent declares Outcasts. Just in case, so that you don't get completely hosed by Freikorp suits preventing your blast/pulse damage. Freikorp shuts down Wong, Burt, and Lightning Bugs pretty harshly.

That's kinda the theory but I've never gotten much out of the ability to remove the blast/pulse immunity. It's just so much work, needs Wong to activate before you start bombing (and all in all use his AP for it) and the attack itself is rather lackluster. And finally you need for the opponent to keep the model clustered with something that you want to bomb and you need to succeed in said bombing. I dunno, it just doesn't seem like a very effective way to use Master AP and there's a lot of hoops to jump through in order to get the pay-off and it isn't all that spectacular. But I haven't tested it often. 

Have you gotten it to work?

2 hours ago, Mason said:

Giving the Bag to Sammy helps to make that more viable. It lets her remove the blast/pulse immunity and gives her an attack with better range and damage (and a chance to turn people into pigs).

But she has only two AP and I really love her normal Attack (I value it quite a bit higher than the Bag attack). I can see that as being useful in some situations but I wouldn't spend 2SS on it. And, most importantly, it counts as her one Master Upgrade so she wouldn't be able to take Glowy while Wong takes Luck. I really don't see that as a good idea.

The idea of Sammy turning an enemy Scheme Marker into a Stuffed Piglet and then the model that just put it there into a Piglet is certainly amusing, though.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2016 at 0:53 AM, Math Mathonwy said:

He can also use the bag while engaged, which is a stronger attack than the iron fan.