Ashes & Dust and Oath Keeper

Rurouni Benshin

Hi all,

So what exactly happens if Ashes & Dust has the Oath Keeper upgrade, is killed, and then becomes Ashen Core and Dust Storm?

My guess:
1) Place Scheme Marker next to Ashes & Dust before the model is removed.
2) Place Ashen Core in base contact, and then remove Ashes & Dust.  Place Oath Keeper on Ashen Core.
3) Place Dust Storm on table in a legal spot.

If that is correct, then could Ashes & Dust, in theory, drop multiple Scheme Markers on the table throughout the game?

Thanks!

Hi all,

So what exactly happens if Ashes & Dust has the Oath Keeper upgrade, is killed, and then becomes Ashen Core and Dust Storm?

My guess:
2) Place Ashen Core in base contact, and then remove Ashes & Dust.  Place Oath Keeper on Ashen Core.

If that is correct, then could Ashes & Dust, in theory, drop multiple Scheme Markers on the table throughout the game?

Thanks!

Two things.

First, the "Amalgamation" rule prevents this model from dropping markers as a result of being killed or sacrificed. So, Ashes and Dust doesn't drop a scheme marker due to being killed, even if you upgrade it.

Second, as per the "Desolate Core" rule on Ashes and Dust, you may attach "up to" one upgrade from this model to the newly summoned Desolate Core.

That said, Desolate Core also has the Amalgamation rule, so it can't drop any markers either.

As I understand it, the only value "Oath Keeper" has on either model is to discard Oath Keeper to give them fast.

Hi all,

My guess:

Thanks!

Two things.

First, the "Amalgamation" rule prevents this model from dropping markers as a result of being killed or sacrificed. So, Ashes and Dust doesn't drop a scheme marker due to being killed, even if you upgrade it.

Second, as per the "Desolate Core" rule on Ashes and Dust, you may attach "up to" one upgrade from this model to the newly summoned Desolate Core.

That said, Desolate Core also has the Amalgamation rule, so it can't drop any markers either.

As I understand it, the only value "Oath Keeper" has on either model is to discard Oath Keeper to give them fast.

Which actually won't work either, since he's immune to ALL conditions, as per Amalgamation again.  So I guess "Oath Keeper" isn't a viable upgrade afterall. :P

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The big question is... Oath keeper lets you "place" a marker upon death and amalgamation prevents you from "dropping" marker upon death.
And dont tell me that dropping and placing is the same thing.
Just lemme ask you if I may "place" a Stone on your head.

I think we're splitting hairs as to what "placing" and "dropping" mean here, but to clarify this further, I went back to the corebook, and found this under "Corpse Markers".

"When a model with the Living or Undead characteristic is killed, the model's controller places a Corpse Marker in base contact with the model before it is removed.

Corpse Markers are technically dropped by every Living and Undead model when it dies. However, it is not necessary to place these Markers if neither player has a model that would interact with them. Players may safely agree to not have models drop Corpse Markers in games where neither Crew will be making use of them."

That's taken straight from the book.  (It's also similarly worded under "Scrap Markers" as well, in case you were wondering.)  So going by what it says in that text, I'm pretty sure that when the rule was created, "placing" and "dropping" markers are synonymous to each other in what their intended meanings are. 

• Like 1

And just as a quick note, assuming he can actually benefit from "Finish the Job", are people really going to put that 1 upgrade on him just for that?  Because in all seriousness, there are better ones.  "Oath Keeper" has been primarily used for "Fast" in just about every game I've played against and as an Outcast Master.