Reconnoiter - how do you tackle it?

rvdbarnes

Summoning Dreamer, enough said. Ok, maybe more is important. Because Dream in Pain lets you summon stiches and madness you now have 2 good models you can bring up to help control table quarters and you can reasonably drop them in 1 of 2 quarters by keeping the Dreamer in the middle of your deployment zone or if you are really bold, and do not mind moving the summoned models, any of the four if you put the Dreamer near the center of the board. 

Now this is not always the case because sometime you get things like close deployment, assassinate, murder protégée, and make them suffer thrown in with your "reconnoiter". Sorry I got my killing mixed in with your spread out goal and here comes a Judge/Nekima/Joss or various other kill focus model to curb stomp your force.

• Like 1

Depleted can be great for reconnoiter: they count for the points and are really hard to remove.

Collodi has a nice time with it: the marionettes are great for this scheme, and Collodi can stand near the center line, keeping his bubble extended into both quadrants.

The real reason he, and Zoraida and Lilith can have a good time with reconnoiter is their ability to mess with placement out of turn: enemy moved a model just into a quadrant? Obey/My will/Tangle shadows them out of there for point denial. Your model is just out of range/in the middle circle?  Do the same thing to re-adjust them. Done late in the turn this can completely deny points to your opponent or score points when it seemed impossible.  

• Like 2

Thegoatgod_pan nailed it.  I find that most people default to summoners for Reconnoiter, because it's simple to spam the board with summoned models. While Dreamer does do well in Recon, because he can spam summons everywhere, Zoraida, Collodi, and Lilith are also very good.  They can easily control the position of enemy models and their own models to make last second adjustments to table quarter positioning. Collodi also has the advantage of generally outactivating the opponent.

I've actually found Pandora to be successful at Recon as well.  She can eliminate just about any model that the opponent sends to contest and thrives off of weakened models (which you regularly see from summoners). Remember that you only need to have more models in a quarter than your opponent, so killing all their models in a quarter is a valid strategy.

My original message was eaten, alas. Short version: Dreamer is super-duper-extra good at Reconnoiter. I'm very tempted to add Taelor to my non-summoning Reconnoiter crews because people do tend to default to summoners for it, and Taelor is a model I really don't want to see when playing summoning Dreamer.

I've not found Reconnoiter to alter my strategy all that much. I still mostly march up the center until getting to the 6 inch bubble around the middle. My heavy hitters go to the side where the enemies hitters are, and I hold the other side with my pieces trying to accomplish schemes.

If I happen to have some potent range, I'll actually stick them in the middle of the table in the dead zone. They get a great range of fire (well, we're NB, that generally means casting), any enemies coming to kill them don't count for the strategy, and I can easily move to one quadrant if another extra body over there matters. 

• 11 months later...

With Dreamer, I take McTavish and two waldgeists. This lets me start aggressively in three quarters generally (my side of the table + one quarter of my opponents), and it takes a fair bit of resources to kill two waldgeists while McTavish is taking 2-3 Sh 8 potshots. This gives plenty of time for the Dreamer factory to activate and let you swarm.

Lately I've been exclusively playing Pandora/Lilith, and approaching Recon in a different way - I use the Neverborn speed to push into my opponents side of the board and keep the battleline there. You can leave a single Tot or other cheap model on your side of the table if you feel it necessary, but I find Neverborn is really good at deciding where the fight is going to take place. Make it take place on your opponents quarters and you don't even have to guard your own.