A noobs (re)view of the starter set.

This is excellent to hear. 

As far as Red joker. Yes it counts as a 14 and you can choose any suit. Also if flipped off top of deck (not if cheated in) your opponent can't cheat.

Did you download your free copy of the full digital rulebook which your starter gets you?

Good to know we got it right. It's also good that the system is clear enough that working on a hunch is exactly as it should be!

And yes, I did get the digital pdf, but I also picked up a copy of the physical book too! We're going to try a game tonight I think, with choosing our own schemes etc.

All we're missing now are some tokens and more crews! :D

• Like 1

Thanks for this great review. I'm hoping to get my hands on a starter set as soon as possible, because my wife said she would like to learn to play as well. I also teach high school, and some of the students are interested in the minis I paint, I thought Malifaux might be a good starter game for them, with the lower costs involved.

• Like 2

I would wholeheartadly recommend it.
My partner loves it. We've played board games etc before, but she's never been interested in mini's.

She's actually been looking at terrain and Crew's to make our games more interesting. It's been quite fun actually! The only downside is I have been commissioned to paint her minis too ¬_¬

*edit.. no idea how I got  so many spoiler tags :P Sorry!*

If only you knew the horrors..

On my painting table I have glued and primed:

Necrons
5 Immortals,
Cryptek,
Doomscythe,
3 Tome blades.

Tau
16 Fire Warriors
12 gun drones.
3 XV8's
5 stealth suits.
12 pathfinders
a hammerhead.

Warhammer Fantasy I have fully half of the sigmarite box set.
VC:
Terrorgeist
Vampire,
12 ghouls
20 skeletons
20 zombies.
9 Felbats
6 bat swarms

Skaven:
20 Clan rats, 2 rat ogres.

Unassembled:
40 Stormvermin,
20 plague monks
Plaguebell.

Dark Elves
1 Chariot
5 Dark riders
20 Spearmen
20 Crossbowmen
1 Fleet Master

VC
3 Spirit hosts
Mortis Engine
Mortach of Nagash

Necrons
Catacomb Command Barge

Then the Two Plater Malifaux starter set. Although the guild is on its way to being half finished.
There's more, but I can't fully remember everything.

I've painted/played a long time, but birthdays and Xmas always add more.. (Not to mention my own weaknesses!)
I've bought an airbrush, but so far I've only used it on terrain as I'm afraid of killing my minis with it :P

Edited by El_Commi

• 4 weeks later...

The fate decks can't compare to the material construction of the light/dark decks, I find that they damage easily. Using my newly sleeved Neverborn fate deck has been a treat though. As the starter is themed witch hunters and nephilim, players who run those themes will get extra enjoyment from the starter. I purchased the set to help jumpstart my local league, demoing is going to be a great experience, just have to get the minis ready first.

Edited by Masquer
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As far as the cards go, it's a question of experience.

The cardstock cards are simple for anyone to pick up and shuffle.  That's why "common" games like Uno or the grocery store Bicycle cards are printed in that material.  The cards may wear out quickly, but you never see someone have an accident where the cards go flying at random while they shuffle the deck.

Plastic cards look nicer and might last longer, but those same cards are also a lot more difficult to hold and to shuffle.  If a beginner's fingers slip, those nice plastic cards go flying all over the place.

• Like 3

I love the backs and art on the starter box decks but yes they are too fragile. By biggest issue is that you can't buy the deck outside of the box so to put wear on tear on them without any way to cheapily get another means they will stay in their box. Now if wyrd ever offers the same deck in plastic separate that'd be awesome. I'd buy in a heartbeat. 

• Like 3

Ok, then. Thanks.

Anyway, atm I own one of the old deck (the ones all the same with just the different colored band on back) that I'm currently using. I also own a "retro" Fate Deck that I want to use but constantly procrastinate to sleeve because it's too cool and I don't want to lose one card somewhere so sitting in a drawer is a better place for it ti be. Now I'll get the 2-players starter box and I plan to use one deck for play and keep the other one aside, just because they're nice (and luckily they're the same bar the back and the border).
So, here's my fear. these looks a lot like the first symptoms to a disorder that will lead me to hunt and collect fate decks. Am I wrong..? Please, tell me I'm wrong :)

Edited by Gabbi

Ok, then. Thanks.

Anyway, atm I own one of the old deck (the ones all the same with just the different colored band on back) that I'm currently using. I also own a "retro" Fate Deck that I want to use but constantly procrastinate to sleeve because it's too cool and I don't want to lose one card somewhere so sitting in a drawer is a better place for it ti be. Now I'll get the 2-players starter box and I plan to use one deck for play and keep the other one aside, just because they're nice (and luckily they're the same bar the back and the border).
So, here's my fear. these looks a lot like the first symptoms to a disorder that will lead me to hunt and collect fate decks. Am I wrong..? Please, tell me I'm wrong :)

No you are correct, you will hunt/collect/and display all fate decks in the game of Malifaux. I think I have a copy of ever deck I know to have existed both official Wyrd release (except EBO cause I dislike those) and from an event somewhere in the world. I'm sure I've missed 1 or 2 but, yes I believe I have them all.

As a note! You don't need to sleeve the retro deck, its plastic, besides scissors that deck won't break. They are the best material and last forever. Its my main deck and I prefer them over any other deck.

I actually love, love love the new decks in the starter, sadly just really wish they were made out of the same material (plastic) as the retro.

• Like 1

It's not a bad starter set, hoping the missions will be an easy way to get people into the main game concepts.  But it does suffer from the usual Wyrd problem, that the minis seem to have been designed by someone who has never had to build and then use a miniature for gaming. Some of them are attached to their bases by little more than wishful thinking, with not enough thickness to even attempt to pin them.

It's not a bad starter set, hoping the missions will be an easy way to get people into the main game concepts.  But it does suffer from the usual Wyrd problem, that the minis seem to have been designed by someone who has never had to build and then use a miniature for gaming. Some of them are attached to their bases by little more than wishful thinking, with not enough thickness to even attempt to pin them.

In comparison, the starter set minis were a cake walk. I built the Hoffman set over the weekend.....

In comparison, the starter set minis were a cake walk. I built the Hoffman set over the weekend.....

The minis themselves, yes.  A huge improvement in ease of putting them together.  Getting Angel Eyes firmly attached to her base with tiptoes and heels is another matter.

The decks themselves are really beautiful. I like that they indicate weak/moderate/severe also. But they are a little fragile and definitly need slieved.

The mini's are definitly tough to assemble though, it's made me realise how invaluable forceps are!

For what its worth, everyone who I've demoed a game to loves it now. My partner is really into it, (She gave me a chirstmas whistlist!)

We've got hold of a playmat and some Malifaux specific terrain, the game looks beautiful! I've painted all my orderlies and about 60% through the Neverborn half. (I went back to uni for my MA this year and haven't had time) But once they're done I'll be starting on my Pandora set.

They are a joy to paint, and I actually find that my skill as a painter has imporved drastically from not having to paint in the GW style. I'd upload a pic of my latest, but I just submitted it for entry so can't :P

You can have an old one instead

10277463_10156247132385724_4835324140632

• Like 3

Well, while I usually agree that Wyrd models are unnecessary split in too many tiny parts and that they could gain from some more thickness and sturdiness over coolness and dynamic posing, I have to point out that Angel Eyes DO have kinda of pins under her feet, if you cut her out of the sprue with a bit of forethought.

IMG_8083.thumb.jpg.5d4ad7d7fa7e42e124a72

They're at a bit awkward angle, so if I will be able to actually make advantage of them is yet to be seen, but I'm confident I will.

10277463_10156247132385724_4835324140632

Nice paint job... Any chance of a bit on info on how you did them?  Particularly the lab coats.

Err.. off the top of my head. I googled a few ideas for a warmer white and improvised with what I had. (A lot were doing the High contrast stuff that GW/Eavy Metal is known for. But that wouldn't really work on those coats.)

I primed brown then base coated the labcoats with Zandri Dust. Then layered up with Ushabti bone, into screaming skull. I highlighted with pallid wytch flesh, and in a few  spots with White Scar.
To be honest a lot of it was done using a very tiny brush and really watered down paint. The coats lack a lot of detail, so you have to make up for it with little strokes here and there to give depth in the flatter areas.
The bits with wrinkles etc are fairly easy as you can just follow them for guidance when layering.

On one I used a little "flayed one flesh", but it dries very rosy so I had to cover it up.

The rest isn't really that impressive. Just standard highlgiht with browns and greys. The paler white of the mask was done in the traditional Grey > Lighter grey > white style of highlighting.

It's the first time I ever tried anything like it, and have been quite pleased with the outcome. If you haven't tried one, I'd 100% recommend a wet pallet.

One of the things I'm loving about Malifaux is that its really challenging me as a painter. When I was painting GW stuff I used the exact same basic techniques; and my stuff looked pretty allright.
But since trying Malifaux, I've found that I really like messing around with stuff.  Here's a WIP pic of something I was doing last week. It was a lot of fun.

12200489_10156311195960724_1537274404_n.jpg

• Like 1