Shifting Loyalties Story Discussion (Spoilers)

Justin

Guild: Well it was nice to see what Sonnia does on her days off but really didn't add a whole lot. Cool seeing the three of them together but the whole story wasn't great in my opinion.

Ressers: The story was awesome - not only did we see a new Resserectionist just starting out which I find an awesome idea but we also got a glimpse into their society and how they interact. The relation between Nicodem and Seamus was nice and Tara felt more like a resserectionist to me after this story - before that I always thought of her as an outcast.

Arcanists: Barely saw Marcus and the focus seemed almost all on Guild. It's a shame because I wanted to see more of him and Arcanists are my factions.

Neverborn: Seeing Zoraida's background was awesome and the weird time slip thing was interesting - fate really screwed with her. And I like the way she used Pandora and Lillith as her back up plan. Her relationship with fate is really interesting.

Outcasts: We got to see more about Taelor, the relic hammers and the Tyrants. Plus seeing more of Tara is awesome :D

Gremlins: Not a fan of gremlins but amusing to read.

10 Thunders: Loved this story. Well written, good idea and gave us a view of how they going.

Shifting Loyalties: Jumped around a little, Haradryn seemed forced into the story and wasn't really necessary. Liked the beginning but jumped around a little. Plus the GG's story seems to have come out of nowhere - unless I've missed stories. The description of the avatar masters was good but would like to have seen all the masters. This part was written much better and the wording was great. Lucius' reaction was brilliant to see - when I do my Lucius crew want to try and theme them on this scene.

General note: Some of the new characters I'd love to know more about - Anna Lovelace, The Forgotten Martial, the guy with the Tomahawk and the crossroads 7. Their descriptions just left me wanting more.

• Like 1

Some_scrub hit on everything I would have said about the individual stories, and said it in a constructive manner, great job!

My biggest complaint coming out of Crossroads, was that I really enjoyed the "overarching story" format of the previous books. Crossroads was a collection of short stories, and while some of them were exceedingly good, part of what I had expected was that I was buying a novel as well as a rulebook. In Loyalties, it looks like Wyrd tried to hybridize the format -- providing a good number of interesting short stories, with one big 'un at the end to move the plot along. The effort to make everyone happy is appreciated! At the same time, I'd have preferred if each of the stories interacted with each other in some way. I want it all, no hybrids! :D

I also found the last story to be difficult to follow what was happening. This could be my less powerful brain trying to soak up immense power (ala, the GG), or it could be that it was a little too much going on. In the end, I loved this story and will probably re-read it now that I'm done, so that I can understand it better. :)

• Like 1

My biggest complaint coming out of Crossroads, was that I really enjoyed the "overarching story" format of the previous books. Crossroads was a collection of short stories, and while some of them were exceedingly good, part of what I had expected was that I was buying a novel as well as a rulebook. In Loyalties, it looks like Wyrd tried to hybridize the format -- providing a good number of interesting short stories, with one big 'un at the end to move the plot along. The effort to make everyone happy is appreciated! At the same time, I'd have preferred if each of the stories interacted with each other in some way. I want it all, no hybrids! :D

But, the 1.5 books all had this "hybrid" format?

It's been a bit since I read them Dirial, but I thought that while they were all "separate" stories, that every story linked back to the main story in a significant way. In Loyalties, for example, the Guild story has nothing to do with the GG eventually going Power Overwhelming. But something like the story of Philip Tombers, while it was good on it's own, it also moved along the overall story of Malifaux and was relevant to the story being told.

Edited by rythos42
  • Like 1